Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interpol Solutions Tactical Pistol class report- 9/11/11

I have been getting the itch for some more “practical tactical” training lately, and when I saw a post here about some training in Clemmons (very close to home for me) I jumped at the opportunity.

Phil Lilly is the owner of “Interpol Solutions” in Clemmons and was our instructor for the day. I've bought some parts and accessories at Interpol before, and Phil has a strong background in competitive shooting and firearms instruction, and we have a lot of common friends in the local community. Although I had never taken a class with him, I went in expecting to learn a lot, and I was not disappointed.

The class started promptly at 11, paperwork, safety briefing, and familiarization with the range was the first order of the day. There were several shooting stations set up with shoot/ don’t shoot targets, which were rearranged as the day went on. Phil also has a simulated hallway/ room layout to practice scenarios you might encounter in your home, and a car door silhouette to practice shooting from a window or under a car door.

It must be really uncomfortable for an instructor to work with a new student that they are not familiar with, so a basic dry walkthrough of some shooting drills and movements is in order to ensure everyone’s safety and to get a feel for how the live firing will go.

This class placed heavy emphasis on what you would want to do in a real world scenario, mainly avoid a gunfight if you can, and if you find yourself in the midst of one, don’t be a stationary target. There was *lots* of movement in this class.

It is absolutely critical if you are concerned about self defense to take some tactical training to fall back on so you know how to react. You hear it all the time when they are interviewing folks on the news “I just relied on my training.”

Prior to taking my CCW, my “training” consisted of going to the range, setting up some targets, and aiming for the bullseye on your typical paper targets. As anyone who has taken the NC Concealed Carry class knows, there is no real “training” involved on drawing and firing, and most ranges aren’t friendly to this sort of practice either.

I was asked where I felt my weaknesses were, and what areas I most wanted to focus on throughout the training day. I do not consider myself a marksman, so I expressed my desire to improve my point shooting and I also wanted to work on weak hand shooting. My choice of pistol for the day was a Springfield Armory xD9sc , which is not my regular carry gun . I normally carry a S&W 4006, but I just wanted to try something different for the day (and the ammo is cheaper, lol).

The first round of drills focused on getting the combat grip on the pistol, properly clearing the holster, getting the pistol to the ready position, and the proper deployment and firing of the weapon. We practiced this until it became smooth, then we moved onto firing and moving away from the target diagonally while continuing to shoot. Once this became comfortable, we went to engaging two targets simultaneously while moving away. Throughout these drills, we worked on tactical and emergency reloads and situational awareness. In other words, when you get a pause in the action, it makes sense to top off your weapon while retaining any remaining ammo that you have in the mag. Throughout the day we were doing malfunction drills, drills with unknown quantities of ammo in mags, etc.
The next drill was a hallway/ room clearing type drill. Peeking your head around a hallway or doorway not knowing what is on the other side is something that any homeowner may have to encounter, so “good guy/ bad guy” targets were set up in the “rooms” and around corners. We did multiple scenarios of this exercise and it is amazing how many variables are involved when it comes to making sure you remember which targets you have shot from which angle, all while avoiding shooting the “good guys.”

After lunch, we went through a practical exercise of shooting from an opening the size of a car window. In today’s society, its not really that improbable to think of a group of armed people coming after you while you are in your car. Hopefully you can use the gas pedal to avoid an armed conflict, but if you cannot, its useful to know that you can clear a door opening and successfully defend your position if needed. As a followup to this drill, we shot at the same targets from under the height of the door opening. This is a lot harder than it looks, and I hope I never have to use that position in real life.

We finished the day with close quarters (arms length) engagement of a target and then as I had requested, we repeated a lot of the drills with me shooting left handed. You never know when you are going to have an injury or get shot in your preferred hand, so having real world practice of shooting with your weak hand is a valuable experience. The “finale” drill for me was moving across multiple targets and changing hands at the end of the line and then going back across the targets until I had changed all the mags I was carrying and ran out of ammo. Whew.

A couple of footnotes, the xD performed flawlessly through the ~400 or so rounds fired. The low recoil and high capacity of the 9mm has me rethinking my carry gun choice. I really liked this gun, despite the only reason I took it was lower cost of ammo. Point shooting a “controlled pair” out of this gun usually had the shots within 2” of each other vertically. I really liked this pistol. Phil did a great job of turning on the light bulb for me in a couple of places, which is always the goal of a class for me. I feel a lot better about some of my techniques, and a lot of those drills with the weak hand built a lot of confidence in those areas. I would highly recommend this class to anyone wanting to boost their practical self defense/ CCW skills.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Have done business with Phil several times with both parts and simple gunsmithing (sight installation, etc). Phil is an outstanding professional and a master in his craft. While I haven't had a chance to take instruction from him, I will undoubtedly accompany soreshoulder on his next trip to one of Phil's classes and report back myself.

Thanks for everything, Phil! Keep it up!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Phil worked on a pistol of mine that was having issues. He was very friendly and knowledgeable. Unfortunately it's going to have to go back to the manufacturer, but he didn't charge me anything for his time. I'm definitely going back to him in the future for my gunsmith needs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.