Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with the Isuzu Rodeo's? Might be picking one up for winter driving here in the mountains. My budget is tiny and they seem to fit in it. I have found a mid 90's 4x4 5 speed V6 that should meet my needs. Only going to be putting a few thousand miles a year on it so not very concerned with high mileage.

Headed to look at it this AM.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
2,584 Posts
I can't get it to open right now but there is good info here:
www.planetisuzoo.com

edit: found this on face book

PlanetIsuzoo
about an hour ago via mobile
Well, out provider took a hit. While the forums are down it is a good time to wash and wax your trucks in prep for the winter weather. Don't forget to wash the inside of the windows!

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
I owned one of the first ones (early 90's I think?). It was a POS that wouldn't get out of it's own way. Poor quality, sluggish engine, poor gas economy. Not sure why I ever bought it except for it's roominess (at the time I had two small kids).

Couldn't trade it fast enough.

·
Banned
2,584 Posts
I forgot to say that I have a 95 Trooper. Had it about 6 months and have put maybe 10 miles on it. Used to run back in the woods when paths are too wet. I am a kinda big guy and I like the amount of room it has inside. Other than that, can't say much about it.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went and looked at it this morning. Complete POS. Thanks for the info guys. Going to keep looking

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
If you are looking for an SUV from that age range...keep your eyes open for a decent shape Nissan Pathfinder. I had a 1991 model that was tough as nails. I think that generation ran til the late nineties before they changed the chasis and body style to a "less tuff" design.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are looking for an SUV from that age range...keep your eyes open for a decent shape Nissan Pathfinder. I had a 1991 model that was tough as nails. I think that generation ran til the late nineties before they changed the chasis and body style to a "less tuff" design.
Looking for one of those, a trooper or Rodeo. Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I drove an early nineties rodeo for about a year, it was ok. Traction is a function of drive type and tires. The rodeo has standard part time 4wd and will be the same as any other similarly equipped vehicle, including most 4wd pickups and even jeeps.

·
Registered
88 Posts
There are 3 versions of the Rodeo. There is the Chevieo, with basically a 2.8 chevy S-10 drive-train in an Isuzu body. It is a true Chevy engine so you either like it or you don't. There is the Hondeo, this is basically a Honda Passport re badged as an Isuzu Rodeo. It is all Honda, you either like them or you don't. Then there is the true Isuzu Rodeo, that is all Isuzu.

To me, the Hondeo is the best of the lot. The Honda V6 is a good engine and hard to kill and Honda Passport parts are a direct crossover/fit so used parts are easier/cheaper to find sometimes. The 4 cyl Rodeo is an underpowered POS.

As far as the Nissan Pathfinder goes, the VG30 "belt" engine is a NIGHTMARE if the belt breaks, as in valves broken off and holes punched in the pistons type of nightmare. The VG33 "chain" engine is fairly decent.

Hope this helps in your search.

TopHat

·
Premium Member
11,811 Posts
my kid had the Hondeo version. FWIW, the manager at a Honda Dealership told me that when the Passport came out, there was an advertising campaign out there that said something akin to "Own the fast lane" which the Honda guys quickly adopted to "Own the Service Lane" for the Passport.

The cooling system is a complicated series of pipes with o-ring seals that runs under the intake plenum, and leaks there are common. A clutch job on one is pretty pricey, and the front suspension has a weird design that won't let you change the axles without removing the entire front suspension.

We didn't have a positive experience, and the 4wd system isn't very robust, the truck got stuck in some light sand.

·
Registered
526 Posts
what's the price range?

Can't find a wrangler for what you want to do????

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
As far as the Nissan 4-Runner goes, the VG30 "belt" engine is a NIGHTMARE if the belt breaks, as in valves broken off and holes punched in the pistons type of nightmare. The VG33 "chain" engine is fairly decent.

TopHat
the Nissan "pathfinder" v-6 timing belt is nothing compared to a Isuzu t-belt, trust I have messed with both! not to mention the oil consumption problem they had....

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
my kid had the Hondeo version. <SNIP> We didn't have a positive experience, and the 4wd system isn't very robust, the truck got stuck in some light sand.
What is a Hondeo? A google search of that name turns up nothing remotely automotive and wikipedia never heard of it either. The only other version of the Rodeo I know of was the 2 door Amigo. Honda sold the Rodeo as the Passport.

Again, if it had the standard part time 4wd like my Rodeo (and any other I know of) then it's the same traction as almost any other part time 4wd, open diffs front and rear. If your's got stuck in sand it was either broken or you would have gotten stuck in a stock jeep with the same wheelbase.

·
Premium Member
11,811 Posts
I was quoting Tophat above who dubbed it the Hondeo, which implies the Rodeo with the Honda drivetrain. We have an empty parcel of land near our house which has a pretty steep grade, some soft sand, and some decent rocks in it. The Rodeo is the only 4wd we ran through it that ever got stuck. Other contenders were (stock): 2002 Tahoe 4wd, 2007 Tahoe 4wd, '97 Jeep XJ, and a '97 Jeep ZJ. Then again, my kid was driving the Isuzu, so it could have been his fault.

·
Premium Member
4,984 Posts
I had one of the "Passport" style models and it was pretty decent. I had always assumed it was the other way around that it was Isuzu that built the Passport. My was an in between year with a Borg Warner transmission. It was my climber's car and I had a lot of fun with it. I sold it to my brother-n-law who immediately totaled it.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Oh OK, I was scratching my head on the Hondeo thing. Tires make a big difference of course and you definitely want to air down for sand, although I'm sure you know that. It's not rocket science, unless we're talking about full time 4wd systems of which there are many, part time 4wd is all the same, unless of course modded with lockers, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
Horrible piece of crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! x 100

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
The Passport (Honda) and the Rodeo (Isuzu) were the exact same POS.They had Isuzu running gear in them and never had Honda drivetrains.
Worst "Honda" ever made.

Be afraid.........be very afraid.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I would reccomend a Toyota 4 Runner if you're looking for an enclosed SUV or a Toyota pick up. They have a better than average off-roading reputation and parts aren't to find. I'd expect you'll pay more than the Isuzu but you'll get what you pay for in the end.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.