Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I guess it was bound to happen. The trusty 1996 Honda Accord thatI've driven for 6 years finally had it's first issue. Worked until 9 tonight in Bryson City and planned to drive home after to Raleigh for the weekend. Things never go as planned.

Battery light came on right when I was about to head down Black mountain a little after 10 and instantly new what the issue was. With 345,000 miles something was bound to go bad. Made it to a Super 8 off 40. Alternator went out and had been driving with the headlights on for over 10 miles before I found the hotel. Car never died so I guess I can still say it technicality hasn't left me completely stranded! Plan to walk to the parts store tomorrow if they have one in stock and swap it out. If not Dad's saving my ass and driving the 4 hours here to help out.

Just lucky that I'm not on the side of the road, in the middle of nowhere freezing my ass off.

Be happy for the little things in life...even if they are dinky little hotels. You could be way way worse off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,001 Posts
Had something similar happen with my Blazer at 195000 miles. But I wasn't quite as lucky, I had to get a tow truck to drop me off about 200 yards away at a hotel that was up on a hill.

I stopped to get gas in Wytheville on my way back from Illinois and the truck wouldn't start when I was done filling up. Fuel pump went out. Friday evening and every garage and auto parts place was closed already. I had the tow truck drop me off at the back of the Red Roof Inn, and I got up first thing in the morning for a two mile hike down to Autozone. I started draining and pulling the fuel tank around 0800 and I was checking out and hitting the road right at 1150. For some reason, something in the back of my mind told me to bring my entire tool box, my multimeter, my maintenance book, and my big jack with me on that trip, and I am glad that I listened.

G

·
That sucks dude.

I bet it has nothing to do with the amount of crap you haul in that poor little car ;)

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
Had something similar happen with my Blazer at 195000 miles. But I wasn't quite as lucky, I had to get a tow truck to drop me off about 200 yards away at a hotel that was up on a hill.

I stopped to get gas in Wytheville on my way back from Illinois and the truck wouldn't start when I was done filling up. Fuel pump went out. Friday evening and every garage and auto parts place was closed already. I had the tow truck drop me off at the back of the Red Roof Inn, and I got up first thing in the morning for a two mile hike down to Autozone. I started draining and pulling the fuel tank around 0800 and I was checking out and hitting the road right at 1150. For some reason, something in the back of my mind told me to bring my entire tool box, my multimeter, my maintenance book, and my big jack with me on that trip, and I am glad that I listened.
Isn't it interesting how fuel pumps only seem to go out right after you fill up the tank!

Glad you didn't get stranded Kevin!

·
Banned
3,753 Posts
I thought you were going to say your spouse found out how much you spend on firearms.... :)

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Pft, with 345K on the car and your biggest issue being an alternator....I'd say you done great.

Watch out for bedbugs and bodily fluids in the Super 8. Just sayin....

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
All good to go. Gfs in hospital. Passed out at work. Will type more later. Thanks everyone

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I want to apologize for such the short post after several here offered for help (WNCSeabee and Gtownwrench).

The car is good to go and back home. I could have changed the alternator out as it was basically two bolts for the powerstearing pump and three for the alternator. It took us more time driving to the store and back than it did to put the alternator on. Dad just really wanted to take a road trip to the mountains so he says lol. Either way really nice of him to help me out and you all to offer. Again thank you.

After getting about half way home got a call from my girlfriend saying that she was at the ER and had passed out at work then transported there via ambulance. She works two jobs and has been working long days. She had just ran 14 miles(She works at a gym) and done weights before passing out. Between that and her not eating/drinking as much as she should she was pretty dehydrated. All was good after a few hours but it sure scared the hell out of me. All good now and thank you again for offering to help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.