Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I usually switch out the trigger if it's going to be a bench rifle. Most barrels are fine if they are reputable. I switch out the forearm and stock, but other than that, I hang a bunch of stuff off of it and call it done.

·
Banned
4,122 Posts
Equipment-wise, you require a mounted flashlight. Any optics should be avoided until you become proficient with the iron sights on the weapon. That requires training and ammo as well as magazines. Shit tons of mags and ammo.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Mags, ammo, nice sling, stock, handguard, trigger, optic, nice brake... the list never ends. I've come to the point where I like my rifles to be more simple, a few magpul goodies, Ergo grip, 2pt sling like VCAS, pistol light, and a good brake.

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
i really like the battery assisted devices like the BAD lever or EBVR

makes malfunction clearing, and stoppage drills easier in my opinion, and reloads faster for ME after I learn the proper process for me.

YMMV but for 30 bucks i think it is certainly worth trying for most folks because i bleive at least half would be like me and probably benefit from it.

·
Terminator terminator
3,922 Posts
nice set of iron sights, at the very least 10 mags, ammo and last but not least some trigger time.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I agree, its hard to answer if we're not sure of its intention. Seems to me an AR shoots better if the upper and lower are "tight". I've seen some that were rattle boxs when you picked them up, but if all your doing is HD or shooting several rounds at once, I don't guess there is anything wrong with it. If your shooting targets/varimants at longer ranges, I would guess the less movement would equal better accuracy.

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
one of my ars is a dpms. I just shoot it in the back yard but the first thing I am going to do with it if I dont sell it ,is change out the bcg with one from spikes tact.
No need to replace your bolt. Simply buy a back up and shoot your current one till it breaks.

Best add ons are quality training and ammo. Get involved in some local competitions.....it helps!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
3,580 Posts
I agree, its hard to answer if we're not sure of its intention. Seems to me an AR shoots better if the upper and lower are "tight". I've seen some that were rattle boxs when you picked them up, but if all your doing is HD or shooting several rounds at once, I don't guess there is anything wrong with it. If your shooting targets/varimants at longer ranges, I would guess the less movement would equal better accuracy.
Mine is loose as a goose, and shoots just fine. The fit of the lower really has no effect on the accuracy of the upper. The lower can flop around, and will not effect the upper.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Mine is loose as a goose, and shoots just fine. The fit of the lower really has no effect on the accuracy of the upper. The lower can flop around, and will not effect the upper.
Well, I've showed my ignorance then! I own a AR and it seems to be fitted up nicely. It also shoots as it should. I've seen a few that wouldn't group like they should and figured it might be how they are fitted up. An AR has alot of moving parts, and I guess there is alot of variables, but it would seem the less movement would make the gun shoot better? Or am I taking bolt gun ideas and tossing them in with an AR??

·
Registered
46 Posts
No need to replace your bolt. Simply buy a back up and shoot your current one till it breaks.

Best add ons are quality training and ammo. Get involved in some local competitions.....it helps!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
ordered me a spikes bcg to put up for later just in case thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
If an AR is producing horrible groups its often one of the following:

Gun was assembled incorrectly and most likely has a loose barrel nut

Ammo being used isnt stabilized by the barrel (ie trying to fire 75gr loads through a 1/12 twist)

The loose nut behind the gun is messing things up.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Well, I've showed my ignorance then! I own a AR and it seems to be fitted up nicely. It also shoots as it should. I've seen a few that wouldn't group like they should and figured it might be how they are fitted up. An AR has alot of moving parts, and I guess there is alot of variables, but it would seem the less movement would make the gun shoot better? Or am I taking bolt gun ideas and tossing them in with an AR??
Seeing as your sights/optic are hardmounted on the upper (which houses the firing mechanism and barrel), as long as the barrel itself cannot move independently of your optic, the lower could be mounted sideways and the rifle will still hit what you aim it at. A tighter weapon may function more efficiently and run better when clean, but logic would show that a tighter weapon will require more effort in the cleaning department simply due to tighter tolerances. AKs aren't known for being tight tolerance weapons, but you can dig one out of a sand box, kick the majority of the crud out of it, and it will fire just fine. More room for crap to get in there without adversely affecting the action.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.