IWB Holster Options | Carolina Shooters Club

IWB Holster Options

Discussion in 'Concealed Carry | National 2A Laws' started by aquarist, Jun 27, 2016.

1. aquarist

aquarist Registered Member

Recently I was approved for my CCP here in Wake county, I am planning on using my Taurus PT111 as my EDC for now. I have been looking at a variety of holsters, and found a couple that are very similar in design. I've looked at Guardian Concealment, Chief Jason Holsters, and Alien Gear Holsters.

What I am currently looking for in a holster is; one that isn't going to get super soggy with sweat, isn't going to chafe my skin, all the hardware is covered on the back, and doesn't add too much bulk to the size of the pistol. I am currently leaning more towards to Alien Gear 3.0 cloak tuck, it seems to have all the features I am looking for in a holster.

http://aliengearholsters.com/alien-gear-cloak-tuck-3-0-iwb-holster-inside-the-waistband.html

Hoping to hear some feedback from the community and see what holsters you guys are using and how you like them.

2. Just Keep Swimming

Just Keep Swimming Hall of Shame

My two IWB holsters are the Garrett Silent Thunder Fusion series for a Glock 19 and a Glock 26. Very nicely made, very comfortable, light and the leather lined kydex is sweet. Doesn't mark up your weapon (not that it matters really) and is super quiet on the draw. Not made for multiple presentations but for all day carry. I'm a very satisfied customer.

http://www.giholsters.com/product-p/hh1000.htm

That being said, my next holster, whether IWB or OWB, will be from one of our vendors here as I have never heard nor seen anything but quality products and very happy CSC members!

3. Wahoo95

Wahoo95 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Wear an undershirt...it will keep you cooler and make carry more comfortable.

Plenty of great options available from the board sponsors. I prefer hybrid holsters but will use a clip style on occasion as well.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

NCAV8TOR, dmarbell, fishgutzy and 7 others like this.
  4. Threshold

Threshold Hall of Shame

This, regardless of where you come down on your decision.

fishgutzy likes this.
  5. 47D

47D All I had today is six gummy bears & some scotch Club Subscribed

No matter what I'm carrying, I tend to prefer leather IWB holsters in the style of the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 (VM2). I find this style is the most comfortable and concealable for me.

No matter what holster you get, make sure you budget for a good leather gun belt. Our own Curt / @gunbelt makes an excellent one.

6. Steve Sellers

Steve Sellers Active Member

I'm using an RCS Eidolon. So far, it's the only holster that allows me to carry a full-size fighting gun AIWB. I'm not a large person and need all the help I can get to manage printing AIWB.

7. aquarist

aquarist Registered Member

Great feedback so far, would be awesome to hear more. I do have two nice gunbelts from Curt and have a third on order now. As for the undershirt, I always wear an undershirt for the most part, so that won't be a problem, might even swap to a "Tall" undershirt to get some added length.

Brangus and gunbelt like this.
  8. Just Keep Swimming

Just Keep Swimming Hall of Shame

Big +1 on that. A good quality gun belt is essential to comfortable and successful IWB/OWB carry.

9. SPST

SPST Well-Known Member

I have a ChiefJason hybrid, a Guardian Concealment Hybrid, and a stickywire by alexap. All are very comfortable. The ChiefJason and the GC are for a Shield and the stickywire was for a full size Sig SP2022.

guardianconcealment likes this.
  10. Silver_Bullet

Silver_Bullet Staff

He'll never feel the hardware on the back of those, it's that flat and flush. That's a moot point and should be a non concern. If it was a problem, everyone would cover it. By covering it you are just making another layer, making it thicker with unnecessary material. @aquarist , I'd get a custom leather / kydex over like the ones mentioned above over the Aliengear. Also an undershirt protects the gun from rubbing on your hide, more comfortable, and surprisingly it's cooler.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    guardianconcealment likes this.
  11. VP9C

VP9C Registered Member

I have an ongoing review of IWB holsters for a full-size pistol (I found that is cheaper to hoard holsters than pistols and kind of fun to compare them!) at another site but here are some highlights. Anyone that wants to sell me their unused holsters that might fit a VP9/P30 let me know!

Keep in mind that I carry in the 2-3 o'clock position and have some gut and love handles. Your body shape and carry position will make your preference of holster completely unique to you!

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/saddlery...-ccw-iwb-holster-ongoing-review-holsters.html

two-clip IWB In order of preference for me and reason for rank:
    Comptac Minotaur: best all around for me so far in terms of concealment, comfort, take on/off and re-holster if needed.
    Stealthgear Onyx and Mini: not as easy to take on and off
    Secret city Weaponeers K25: all kydex, surprisingly comfortable, no longer made...
    Chief Jason IWB: not as easy for me to take on and off and I needed to tweak ever so slightly to lower the ride height where I wanted it
    USgungear Omni: "crappy" nylon universal holster that is surprisingly comfortable and conceals well for me
    Milt Sparks VM2: ride height too high for me and actually not as comfortable for me despite the fact that the internet told it it would be the most comfortable holster I ever tried.
    Crossbreed Super tuck: too bulky and not flexible enough for my carry position, probably great for 4-5 o'clock which just doesn't work for me
    Hidden hybrid: too bulky and not flexible enough for my carry position, probably great for 4-5 o'clock which just doesn't work for me
    Comptac flatline: ride height too high, prints like crazy, not comfortable
    Next Holsters Guardian: ride height too high, not adjustable for cant or height.

single clip IWB In order of preference for me and reason for rank:
    Alessi talon: slim profile clip, forward cant, low ride height
    MTR adversary: slim profile clip, low ride height
    Concealment express kydex: adjustable cant, functional but not amazing
    Wild Bill's concealment covert carry: low profile due to rear clip placement, no sweat shield
    Remora no clip: slimish profile, but I don't really like it "stuck" to my body all day
    Stealgear AIWB: cant was wrong for me (I prefer forward cant)
    Crossbreed AIWB: no forward cant, too much leather backing for me
    Remora w clip: ride height too high

12. gunbelt

gunbelt Fat Boy Belts

13. ccw007

ccw007 Registered Member

Stealthgear Onyx works well for me and no under shirt required they are pricey but worth it. White Hat holsters work well for me too, but with the Stealthgear onyx I can forget I am carrying.

I have tried lots of different holsters and those two are the best I have found

14. Scsmith42

Scsmith42 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

In 25 years of having a CCW permit (multiple states), I've tried a lot of IWB holsters over the years and the N82 (Nate Squared) is hands down the most comfortable one. They are made right here in NC too. I really like their pistol retention system in the Pro model too.

I have not tried a Chief Jason one though, so I can't compare them.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    Stick, Diverdad and Beachdude like this.
  15. RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

I carry a full sized 1991A1 in a Milt Sparks Criterion IWB holster, with magnetic belt loop system.

The leather backing keeps the metal slide off my body while the grip is exposed for easy access.

Deciding on a holster isn't easy, but I do have a few bits of advice:

- Don't go "cheap". "Cheap" is not the same as "inexpensive", mind you. But good holsters, especially good IWB holsters, aren't "cheap".

- Don't go "cheap" on a belt. You can have a good holster, but if you don't have a good belt to go along with it then your rig will suck. Whether you go with a dressier belt that looks good enough to wear with a suit and tie or with one that has more of a workman's look, get one that's designed to properly support and distribute the weight of your gun and holster. I would not go less than 1 1/4 inches in width.

- When you get a holster, don't be afraid to continue shopping for another. There are plenty out there, and you may fine another you will like better. Even though it may cost you another pretty penny...finding one that better suits your needs is worth it. Or you may find an OWB, or simply one that better suits a certain circumstance.

If price seems to be a hang up for you...just remember that it's relative, too. How much does a box of ammunition run you? Even for WWB, a decent holster will probably start at about what you'd spend on four or five 100-round boxes. Toss in range fees, targets, what you may spend on an extra few magazines, and suddenly the price for a decent holster isn't so bad.

Good luck in your search! And please do post what you get and a personal review of it.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    toddje likes this.
  16. toddje

toddje Well-Known Member

Guardian is my "go to" at this point. But everyone's butt and whatever is shaped a bit different. The Alien Gear you mentioned looks a lot like the Guardian design - but I can attest that Guardian has fantastic customer service and uses top notch materials. That's based on personal experience, not some huge multi million dollar kickback he might give to the site owners. I'm just staff. ;-) I've had chiefJason and AlaxAP stuff as well, also good (but not entirely the same design as the one you referenced.)

17. amnesia

amnesia Guest

Guardian Concealment here.

18. Cowboysfan

Cowboysfan Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it mentioned and will admit to busting on the flip flop holster that is the N82 professional, but it is the most comfortable and quickest on and off holster I have ever had. I got it from another member here a couple months ago and I now carry it exclusively. You can put on a tshirt and khaki shorts and never tell you have it on. It moves with your body very well so going from standing to sitting is not uncomfortable at all. Every now and again you have to give it a tug when you initially sit down but that is all. Wahoo is correct about undershirts, they make everything more comfortable.

Beachdude and Brangus like this.
  19. LeeMajors

LeeMajors Bionic Man

@chiefjason is the best I've used. I carry a compact double stack 1911 and forget it's there. I had a crossbreed super tuck for a pt140 that never got comfortable. The one from chief is the same style and was hands down the best from day 1.

chiefjason likes this.
  20. Beachdude

Beachdude Registered Member

I'm a dedicated N8 Squared user also. Most comfortable holster I have used IWB. Plus, being a guy who sweats alot, it is excellent at protecting my pistol from moisture. I use the Original, but may give the Professional version a go soon.

Cowboysfan likes this.
  21. W01fm4n

W01fm4n Registered Member

If I know I am just going to be quick I will just use my uncle mike's holster or a pocket holster. Now if I will be carrying for an extended amount of time I will use my alien gear holster 3.0 and I have a shell of each of my guns so I can carry whatever I choose at the time and I have found I like to use it without an undershirt because of the material it is made of. Whatever you just keep in mind that you may end up going through several style of holsters before you find the 2-7 that you like for each gun and type of carry. Many people end up liking appendix carry or cross draw or the 3 o clock or the 4:30 try different ways and see which works best for you. I prefer 3:00 and I will use a sticky holster when I drive I can place that between the seat and center console and the gun doesn't move so it is safe and I have quick easy access if something happens when I am stopped at a light.

22. Diverdad

Diverdad Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

I also use a N82 professional holster for both the G23 and a full size 1911.

Cowboysfan likes this.
  23. Dave'sBuddy'sNeighbor

Dave'sBuddy'sNeighbor Registered Member

I use a Milt Sparks Nexus for a 1911. It's by far my favorite IWB holster, having replaced my Summer Special (which still gets used from time to time). I'm not a fan of IWB mag pouches though. OWB pouches are generally inconspicuous and way more comfortable. I like the snap on variety (S4C and D4C) from Milt Sparks.

I am looking for suggestions for a new belt. My Kramer horsehide belt is approaching 20 years now, and is starting to develop cracks.

24. geerubb

geerubb Member

I carry a shield - and have tried multiple holsters, but keep coming back to the Crossbreed mini tuck for IWB.

I have or have tried in the past:
    Alien Gear - just not as comfortable as the crossbreed - even with the sweat guard
    N82 - It was ok. Wasn't a huge fan of the locking mechanism and the sweat guard made it where you had to where it somewhere flat on your body
    G-code AIWB - did not like apendix carry at all. I really want to, just can't get used to it.

25. 47D

47D All I had today is six gummy bears & some scotch Club Subscribed

I have several belts that I like. I have a Milt Sparks, two belts by The Beltman, and one of Curt's belts. They all work and look great.

gunbelt likes this.
  26. Papermaker

Papermaker Registered Member

pjholster.com

27. ZEXYsnake

ZEXYsnake Registered Member

My vote is for StealthGear. Their IWB holsters are a thing of comfort and beauty. I actually just moved back to SC from Utah and have gone to their manufacturing facility and retail locations on several occasions. Pretty cool stuff. The employees showed huge attention to detail and pride in their work. I've used many other holsters but now all my handguns that even have a possibility of being carried have a SG holster for them.

Their price and lead times can put a lot of people off but they do make a mighty fine holster.

Their belts are great too.

CardiacColt68 likes this.
  28. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 Well-Known Member

I have a couple Stealth Gear mag carriers and one holster. Good stuff.

29. Zero'd

Zero'd Registered Member

I've been running a Galco King Tuck with a g23 for the last few years and been very satisfied.

30. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Registered Member