Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Les Deplorables
12,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Setting aside the attention whoring title, Yeager misses the point entirely. The average female looking to buy a gun for defense is far less interested in spending a lot of time intimately familiarizing herself with the functioning of guns than the average male (there are exceptions of course, but I am generalizing). Look at the ratio of men to women on any gun forum. How many women are out there assembling ARs or performing trigger mods to their pistols?

Once one accepts that obvious reality, then a revolver doesn't seem like such a terrible choice. For a woman who is willing to spend the time, sure, pistols have plenty of advantages over revolvers.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I somewhat agree with him. It's disrespectful to dumb down firearms by pushing them towards a "simple" revolver because they aren't capable enough to master a pistol. With enough training and a willingness to learn, they can handle anything we can. I do, though, feel the same way you do powder. If my girlfriend wasn't willing to put in the time to at least familiarize herself with the workings of a pistol and only wanted to carry something she could operate with the least amount of effort, then I'd push her towards a revolver because it's inherently easier to use and less prone to failure.

·
Vendor
5,801 Posts
I hate to say this but you guys are being a little sexist, I know just as many guys that go buy a glock or sig and have no clue what end the bullet comes out of or how to clean it but the were sold it because they were guys. So let's not disrespect our female shooters, threads like this can drive them off and we need more women shooters.

·
Les Deplorables
12,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So let's not disrespect our female shooters, threads like this can drive them off and we need more women shooters.
Any woman who signs up for a gun forum is showing a lot of interest in learning about firearms, so this obviously does not apply to them.

And yes, I could/should generalize that anyone, not just women, who is only interested in a gun for personal defense and doesn't want to spend much time practicing with it, revolvers can be a great choice.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
hehe...I actually thought that was the least abrasive video I have seen from James Yeager. I couldn't remember if the animated video had been posted on CSC or not, but I knew it was relevant.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
I somewhat agree with him. It's disrespectful to dumb down firearms by pushing them towards a "simple" revolver because they aren't capable enough to master a pistol. With enough training and a willingness to learn, they can handle anything we can. I do, though, feel the same way you do powder. If my girlfriend wasn't willing to put in the time to at least familiarize herself with the workings of a pistol and only wanted to carry something she could operate with the least amount of effort, then I'd push her towards a revolver because it's inherently easier to use and less prone to failure.
I agree.

This is actually one of the best videos I've seen featuring him.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
My wifes gun is a Ruger LCR. But she settled on that on her own after taking a Women on Target course and firing many different handguns.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I hate to say this but you guys are being a little sexist, I know just as many guys that go buy a glock or sig and have no clue what end the bullet comes out of or how to clean it but the were sold it because they were guys. So let's not disrespect our female shooters, threads like this can drive them off and we need more women shooters.
Maybe I should clarify my statement.

For a first time shooter (only mentioned females since that is the scope of the video, but it also applies to males), I feel like it IS disrespectful to push them towards a revolver under the assumption that they're too stupid (his words not mine) to handle a pistol. Because, to me, if they're showing enough interest to want to learn, I'll let them learn on whatever platform they desire. My girlfriend went with the pistol platform because she "doesn't like revolvers". Assuming they're incapable of handling a pistol is unfair and biased.

But, in the situations where she wants a gun to carry and feel safe, but doesn't necessarily want to put in the time to get adequate handling one. I would probably suggest a revolver due to its simplicity in handling (not necessarily shooting). Keep in mind that goes for a guy as well.

I'm totally willing to support any sort of firearms interest. You should see how stupidly enthusiastic I get whenever my girlfriend shoots. "You're doing so good! Holy crap you could do that with your eyes closed! Remind me not to piss you off!" Because that makes her happy and keeps her from getting discouraged when she misses the silhouette.

In other words, to me it depends on the interest level of the new shooter, not the individual bias of the "instructor"

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
You should see how stupidly enthusiastic I get whenever my girlfriend shoots. "You're doing so good! Holy crap you could do that with your eyes closed! Remind me not to piss you off!" Because that makes her happy and keeps her from getting discouraged when she misses the silhouette.

In other words, to me it depends on the interest level of the new shooter, not the individual bias of the "instructor"
My wife would shoot me if I gave her that kind of feedback.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Women are no different than men as far the selection and choice of firearms. I truly know a lot of men that are totally ignorant or just don't care about firearms. A firearm selection is in a lot like choosing any personal item, it must be a fit for the individual. I think the author of that article is totally out of bounds. I don't want anyone telling me what kind of firearm I should carry and therefore I don't tell anyone else what they should choose. Yeager is completely off course, totally.

·
Premium Member
15,599 Posts
Bad= disarmed
Good= armed
Better= armed and familiar
Best= armed, familiar, well trained

It's our responsibility (IMO) to move people up the line regardless of their plumbing. We all start at the same place, and some get comfortable somewhere along the way and stop.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Drypowder, you're wrong. The average female looking for a gun to defend herself with will be familiar or trying to become familiar with firearms and how they work because they have made the decision to defend themselves.

This is not true for the woman whose spouse has pressured her into shooting/carrying a gun. In that case, all that snubby .38 buried in her purse underneath 10lbs of junk is doing is making the spouse feel better because she sure as hell isn't going to think to grab it in an emergency much less pull the trigger.

·
Premium Member
15,599 Posts
Drypowder, you're wrong. The average female looking for a gun to defend herself with will be familiar or trying to become familiar with firearms and how they work because they have made the decision to defend themselves.

This is not true for the woman whose spouse has pressured her into shooting/carrying a gun. In that case, all that snubby .38 buried in her purse underneath 10lbs of junk is doing is making the spouse feel better because she sure as hell isn't going to think to grab it in an emergency much less pull the trigger.
An excellent post.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When I first met my wife she kept an old S&W Model 10 under her pillow. She didn't know how to shoot it, but was given the pistol by a family member because of an attempted B&E.

I taught her how to shoot pistols and rifles. Was a concealed weapons instructor and put her through the training after which she got her permit to carry. She competed for a number of years in CMP rifle matches, happily shooting "her" M1 carbine and regularly besting male shooters.

After all the training, and shooting numerous pistols and rifles, she chose a S&W Model 360 Airweight, 5 shot 38 Spec. revolver. I have to say that she is well armed.

·
Banned
8,282 Posts
I couldn't listen to him for much more than 60 seconds. He irritates me.

My wife's first pistol purchase was a Springfield Armory EMP 1911 9mm. She now owns three pistols, none of which are revolvers.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.