Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right forum...mods, please move if need be.

Had a lovely encounter with an idiot at the range today. My wife and I were shooting and prequalifying for our shooting portion of the CHP course. We frequent this range about once to twice a week. The guy in the lane to our left was teaching his wife/GF how to shoot...she'd never shot before.

My wife was shooting .38 specials out of our S&W 686...I was behind her at the bench loading 9mm mags. I see him talking to my wife and being fussy....I come over and he seems to believe that my wife had ejected the spend .38 casing so hard out of the revolver that they flew out, ricocheted past the wall between us and somehow hit him in the lip. He proceeded to tell her that she needed to be more careful ejecting her spent casings and talked to her like a child. Not wanting to aggravate the situation with a macho moron with a loaded gun, we brushed him off.

What I wanted to say is, NO our casing did not hit you, that is physically impossible. Something ricocheted off the walls/backsplash and hit you. Big deal, it happens. Lead flies. Quit crying. And spend more time teaching your wife who can't hit a bullseye 6 feet in front of her instead of being condescending to my wife who is a proficient shooter.

What would you have done? It was obviously physically impossible for that to happen, and the lanes were full so who knows what hit him.

Tell your stories of idiots at the range.

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
Don't shoot indoor ranges anymore but when I did I always carried a hand cannon or short rifle with big blaster screwed on the end.
Make sure the end is just past the end of the wall and blast away.....
Most could not take the shock wave and pressure.
THe pack up and leave....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Tell him it's impossible then let the RO know and move lanes. Let the owner or RO explain to him why he's an idiot.

I had a couple of guys (at PDHSC) pulled out for acting like morons. I warned them and reminded them of range etiquette, they kept acting stupid and I told the RO. I then waited until they were off the range before shooting again. I mainly waited because they were being dangerous, in the case of someone being ignorant (like yours) I'd just ask to move and let the employees handle it.

·
Ar Hugger. Carpe diem per guttur .
12,561 Posts
I tend to let stuff roll right off when it happens to me. Not much bothers me, at all. But when someone is rude like that to someone I care about, it really irks me. I probably would have needed to step out and go walk around awhile. You're right though...confrontation would have been a little risky, pointless and silly given the environment. Still, I would have spent entirely too much time mulling it over in my head getting more and more upset unless I stepped away.

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
NJSC and I got some evil looks and eventually some not so polite suggestions as to where we should shoot my SKS while at an outdoor range once. Guy was sighting in his 22 on a lead sled with like 70lbs of weight holding it down and I guess he couldn't hit the target 20 yards away with my brass heading his way. Almost broke out the PSL after that :)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tell him it's impossible then let the RO know and move lanes. Let the owner or RO explain to him why he's an idiot.

I had a couple of guys (at PDHSC) pulled out for acting like morons. I warned them and reminded them of range etiquette, they kept acting stupid and I told the RO. I then waited until they were off the range before shooting again. I mainly waited because they were being dangerous, in the case of someone being ignorant (like yours) I'd just ask to move and let the employees handle it.
Yeah we were at PDHSC. We have a good repor with everyone there...I told one of the guys after they left and after we had checked out. He agreed with us (obviously).

In the future I will bring it to their attention at that moment...today there wouldn't have been much they could have done, all the lanes were full and there were about 8 people waiting in the lobby to get a lane, so I doubt they would have been able to move lanes.

·
Premium Member
15,599 Posts
You are a good man, better than me at least...I woulda gone holy monkey ape Shi'ite on him. Freakin brass ejecting from a revolver hit him...what a douchebag weenie wankerz

·
Banned
2,634 Posts
You are a nicer person than me. I am generally very polite and laid back but, when someone is a douche to me - I am twice the douche back.
I would have told him to use the case as a butt plug.....I don't tolerate rude strangers period. And if you are rude to my wife you got off lucky if I don't knock the taste out of your mouth.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I think I would have done the same thing in case he further escalated it by me embarrassing him.

The only thing that comes to mind is people pointing guns at me or other people while on the range. And I've found that telling the ro does nothing. They get talked to like it was an innocent mistake and told to be more careful.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
NJSC and I got some evil looks and eventually some not so polite suggestions as to where we should shoot my SKS while at an outdoor range once. Guy was sighting in his 22 on a lead sled with like 70lbs of weight holding it down and I guess he couldn't hit the target 20 yards away with my brass heading his way. Almost broke out the PSL after that :)
Yeah he still is the butt of constant joking.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
My favorite butthead was the gentleman that noted my Buddy and I should go somewhere else to teach our sons how to handle a firearm.
We were at Leeds, an outside Pubic Range run by DNR.
Needless to say I spoke my piece. Later found out he was a firearms instructor in York S.C.
End result it was not a very nice way to introduce 10 and 11 year old Boys to the sport. The Boys and my Buddy did not feel welcome at the range.
Oh and there was mr. Muzzlesweep yesterday at Sportsman.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Twice , at PDHSC, I've been hit with ricochets from the backstop hard enough to draw blood.
Nothing major mind you but it does happen. One was mine. One was from someone else
in another lane.

Have run across some careless, selfish individuals at the range.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
Ricochets happen a PDHSC all the time. I have been hit by many, both mine and others. The most surprising one hit me in the ass when I was at the back bench reloading mags. That one had enough ooomph to hurt a bit.

I would have told that douche this without hesitation. Perhaps you should have offered him some cheese to go with the whine!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.