Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only caught the first episode of the new season. Looks great so far. Your thoughts?

·
I'm told I'm pretty awesome...
8,590 Posts
Big fan. Watched the second episode tonight. Looks like some interesting stuff coming. Shame Wynonna is gonna ruin that figure with a baby though...

·
Staff
4,624 Posts
I've followed Justified, too. It holds a special interest for me because I was born in Harlan County and my father grew up there in the neighboring township of Benham...and was on hand to see the period and the events that earned it the name "Bloody Harlan" back in the late 20s and early 30s.

Some of it accurately depicts the mining town of Harlan...and some of it is almost laughable. One point that is accurate, though. You don't want to go to Harlan County stirrin' up any hornets' nests. There are a lotta places in those hills to bury a body where it'll never be found. The sun quite literally doesn't show over the mountains until mid-morning...and hides by around 1600 in the afternoon...in the summer.

Also interesting is that the character of Mags Bennett is based on the real-life bootlegger Magdalene "Aunt Maggie" Bailey. My grandparents knew her on a first-name basis, and knew well her apple and peach "pie" which my grandfather always kept on hand for medicinal purposes. Essentially a brandy with added spices and flavorings. I understand that it was quite good. The Bailey family took pride in their bootleg likker, and only produced the best quality...never resorting to using radiators for distilling or wood alcohol to boost it.

·
Staff
4,624 Posts
To continue...

Aunt Maggie was able to make her likker for her whole life...learning the trade from her father...well into her 90s without being caught because she was smart.

If you showed up at her door, inquiring about "Apple/Peach Pie" and she didn't know you, she'd ask: "Who's your daddy, boy?" If it was a name that she knew, she'd make vague inquiries about your family. "Oh, yeah. I know him. Whatever happened to your uncle so-and-so?" Or: "Didn't your cousin marry that nice little Bobby Sue Miller? Can't remember what her daddy's name was."

If you didn't give the right answers...and she always knew the right answers...you didn't get what you came for. Instead, you'd get a slice of apple or peach pie and a cup of coffee...and when you'd finished, she'd smile and say: "Well, honey...now you've had your pie. I've got chores to tend to, so maybe you'd better go. Sure was nice visitin' and say hello to your mama for me."

Hit this link:

http://www.blogofdeath.com/2005/12/08/maggie-bailey/

·
Premium Member
7,877 Posts
Excellent season so far. Gotta watch episode 3 tonight. It's almost a dag-on Band of Brothers reunion (not that that's a bad thing)! First we had Luz as the AUSA in season 1, now we've got Bill Guarnere and Buck Compton! And in a remotely related role, we also have Bubba from Forrest Gump.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
That guy when on Deadwood became my favorite character. Next to Calamity Jane. Well, Mr. Woo was pretty cool too. Dammit I miss that show.

Either way in the first show season 1, I wasn't sure his character was going to be one I would like. He changed with the part. Sometimes I find the dialect to be severely close to the way they spoke in Deadwood. The writers bait you into wanting to see more. Really well written.

As he moves through this role I think he's gotten even better. I like the story line on Justified. This season is the great. It will have to jump a few hoops for me to beat the 2nd.
I could really go for some Apple Pie. That lady made the 2nd Season. And went out on her own >).

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Looks like this season is about to heat up with the guy from Detroit showing up and taking over.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Absolutely love this show. Just recently started watching it, but managed to watch the first and second season in less than a week. Timothy Olyphant as Raylan Givens is quite possibly my favorite character in a TV show next to Malcom Reynolds in Firefly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.