Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve seen mostly positive reviews of the SUB2000. I’ve always been kinda leary of Kel-Tec because of quality control issues they’ve had in the past. Has any of y’all owned a SUB2000 and what did you think of it?

· Registered
1 Posts
I’ve seen mostly positive reviews of the SUB2000. I’ve always been kinda leary of Kel-Tec because of quality control issues they’ve had in the past. Has any of y’all owned a SUB2000 and what did you think of it?
The Sub-2000 is a fun carbine and, in my experience, it’s been very reliable! Kel-Tec’s engineers are brilliant and innovative but they do things that prompt you to ask, “What the hell were they thinking?!” For example, the feed ramp in the Sub-2000 is made of polymer (“plastic”) instead of being metal. Why? My guess is cost savings but, come on, why skimp on the feed ramp? To be fair, though, you’ll see reviews from many folks that have run thousands and thousands of 9mm or .40 S&W rounds through their Sub-2000s without issue or negative effect due to the feed ramp. Another example of what I would call a questionable decision is that Kel-Tec uses aluminum screws and nuts instead of carbon steel. Yes, they’re lightweight but why skimp on that when carbon steel parts will last longer and be less likely to get stripped should you like to work on your Sub-2000?

The Sub-2000 has quite a following and there are many third party parts and accessories that are available to enhance your Sub-2000. It’s not as large as, say, the AR parts and accessories market by any means but there are many third parties making things for the Sub-2000.

Here are few examples of third party manufacturers:

M*Carbo: KEL-TEC SUB-2000 Accessories - SUB 2000 Parts
Red Lion: https://www.redlionprecision.com/
Midwest Industries: Gun Type - Kel-Tec Accessories - Midwest Industries, Inc.

Personally, I’d recommend that if you get one, try it as is for a while and if you want to make it better than the factory, you can always add some upgrades.

I hope this info helps!

Don

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Sub-2000 is a fun carbine and, in my experience, it’s been very reliable! Kel-Tec’s engineers are brilliant and innovative but they do things that prompt you to ask, “What the hell were they thinking?!” For example, the feed ramp in the Sub-2000 is made of polymer (“plastic”) instead of being metal. Why? My guess is cost savings but, come on, why skimp on the feed ramp? To be fair, though, you’ll see reviews from many folks that have run thousands and thousands of 9mm or .40 S&W rounds through their Sub-2000s without issue or negative effect due to the feed ramp. Another example of what I would call a questionable decision is that Kel-Tec uses aluminum screws and nuts instead of carbon steel. Yes, they’re lightweight but why skimp on that when carbon steel parts will last longer and be less likely to get stripped should you like to work on your Sub-2000?

The Sub-2000 has quite a following and there are many third party parts and accessories that are available to enhance your Sub-2000. It’s not as large as, say, the AR parts and accessories market by any means but there are many third parties making things for the Sub-2000.

Here are few examples of third party manufacturers:

M*Carbo: KEL-TEC SUB-2000 Accessories - SUB 2000 Parts
Red Lion: https://www.redlionprecision.com/
Midwest Industries: Gun Type - Kel-Tec Accessories - Midwest Industries, Inc.

Personally, I’d recommend that if you get one, try it as is for a while and if you want to make it better than the factory, you can always add some upgrades.

I hope this info helps!

Don
Wow thanks Don that is some good info and thanks for the links. I will definitely keep your advice in mind when I get a Sub2000

1 - 12 of 12 Posts