KelTec P17 | Carolina Shooters Club

KelTec P17

Discussion in 'Rimfire pistol' started by jisuho, Aug 12, 2021.

1. jisuho

jisuho Registered Member

New here and surprised no one has talked about the KelTec P17. A search on the site didn't turn up any threads. I know they are hard to find these days, as are most budget guns. But I did get lucky a few months back and got one for the low price of $169+tax. It is what it is intended to be. A basic, no frills plinker. It does come with a fiber optic front sight, fully adjustable rear sight, a light trigger, ambi safety and mag release, and three 16rd mags. Other than those frills it is a basic budget pistol. Not real refined like a colt, S&W, or ruger might be, there are a few rough edges. But mine shoots very, very well. It is a good way to shoot inexpensively.

j

Confused and Adam Hewlin like this.
  2. jisuho

jisuho Registered Member

Oh, and the P17 has a threaded barrel. Forgot about that.

j

Adam Hewlin likes this.
  3. carolina sorillo

carolina sorillo Registered Member

I got one a few months ago, under $200 out the door also. So far I'm very pleased with it. And at that price point, it is a real steal!

I was able to ring a 16" steel plate fairly regularly with it and 40gr Blazer's from 125 yards. Not something I try with pistols very often but it did it.

I did have some pretty serious leading in the barrel once. But, I think it was from the 20gr Aquila "no powder" ammo I tried in it.

CS

Adam Hewlin likes this.
  4. Gunny70

Gunny70 Registered Member

Do you mind me asking where you found one? Only ones I've seen were way above MSRP. Looks like a neat little gun.

Adam Hewlin likes this.
  5. carolina sorillo

carolina sorillo Registered Member

Not at all, actually not far from you! I bought it at Sportsman's Warehouse in G'boro. They didn't have one when I was there last week but they did have the CP33 and the PMR30. Both at regular price, not the current inflated prices you normally see.

CS

Adam Hewlin likes this.
  6. Gunny70

Ok I'll keep an eye on them I'd like to try one. Thanks for info.

Adam Hewlin likes this.
  7. outlaw450r1

outlaw450r1 Registered Member

Seems like a good little plinker. I’d try one out for that price.

Adam Hewlin likes this.
  8. jisuho

jisuho Registered Member

I got mine from a Sportsman's Warehouse as well. In Charleston next to the Tanger Outlet. When the wife and I would go to the outlet I would walk across the street to SW and look around. Mostly had no luck, then one day I went in and there it sat on the shelf. After a quick look-over, I bought it. For $169 I just couldn't pass it up. Afterwards I have seen a few in Palmetto State Armory for $219 and a local gs for $250. Buds Gun Shop was out of stock. I am sure the $169 price tag is a thing of the past now.

oh, and don't even bother with Gunbroker or other auction sites. The P17s were selling for well over $350 several months back. WAY TOO MUCH!

j

Adam Hewlin likes this.
  9. Gunny70

Yeah for $169 I'd be trying one. Any issues with yours?

Adam Hewlin likes this.
  10. jisuho

jisuho Registered Member

Just a few Gunny. No fail to feed or eject but sometimes the slide doesn't lock back, but that is a mag issue. It is mostly a failure to go into battery. Every so often the slide would stop halfway during feeding and I would have to nudge it. And it occurs after I have put 50-60 rounds through it so I am thinking it is powder build up. Out of 200 rounds I might have to nudge the slide about 6-8 times. That is not bad, particularly considering what I am shooting. The P17 is not as finely made as a Buckmark or S&W victory so I have to expect something like this. After my last range visit I decided to do some polishing on the contact surfaces; feed ramp, bolt guides, bolt channels, ejector rod, and other places I could see some rubbing, etc. Used some 800 grit paper to polish. Once I get back to the range I will see it that helped.

j

Adam Hewlin and Gunny70 like this.
  11. Adam Hewlin

Adam Hewlin Registered Member

I still hate myself for not buying one in Greensboro at sportsman's warehouse for $169 like you did.Now they're out of stock and twice the price when they do pop up.BALLS!

12. jisuho

jisuho Registered Member

Well, polishing didn't seem to help. Still having the fail to go in battery problem. Not a lot, though. One to three per magazine. I was shooting Federal match ammo and Rem Golden bullet. Everything else worked okay. One fail to fire, but reloaded it and sent the bullet went down range. Still happy with the P17. For an inexpensive plinker, it plinks just fine.

j

13. Gunny70

I did pick one up the other day for $209 new. Not too bad. Only shot it once, 100rds cci mini mags. I did notice on full mag first few rds I'd feel it drag while cycling. No jams though. Figured just breaking in. It might be ammo picky. Like it so far.

Adam Hewlin likes this.