Kiss of Death..... | Carolina Shooters Club

Kiss of Death.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Bailey Boat, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Bailey Boat

Bailey Boat Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

There have been a couple of guns listed here recently that interested me until I get to the Bill of Sale BS. I used to reply and tell them about it but recently haven't bother to do even that. I just close the ad and keep going.
    Are people ever going to figure this out...... bill of sale = kiss of death...

OH!! And don't even get me started on the fools that expect me to give them a COPY of my driver's license and CCW card... UP yours!!

2. simple

simple Member

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you're not a real morning person.....but I totally concur with what you're sayin'.

9outof10mms, teamglock2002 and Mikew like this.
  3. Mikew

Mikew Well-Known Member

Yea and them PPP's and or CCW's to heck wit them thangs I just wanna buy the dang gun if I was a felon I wouldn't be allowed to even hold it much less buy it.

gunbelt likes this.
  4. MacEntyre

MacEntyre Vendor Vendor

It is not a requirement that we keep records of private sales, so we should not.
    When folks insist on it, they are essentially expanding the law for no purpose.
    I won't do it either, and I'm a morning person. :cool:

mlc, Flashpoint, gunbelt and 4 others like this.
  5. 1406

1406 Provider of Facts

I was thinking it was time for another thread about BOS' and copies of ID's

joebu, Chdamn, gc70 and 2 others like this.
  6. Geezer

Geezer Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

A local guy had a gun for sale on Armslist. He had a fair price on it an I emailed and said I would take it at his asking price. He emailed back and thanked me and suggested a meeting place and a time frame. OK, we agreed on a place and time. Then he says that he wants to do a bill of sale.
    I asked what he meant. He said that we would exchange name, address, phone numbers, and driver's license and CWP numbers. He said that if I could just bring copies of my DL and CWP it would make things easier.
    I told him that his ad said nothing about this and I did not agree. I told him that I had no problem showing my DL and CWP but he couldn't copy any info. He did not agree and we both ended the deal.
    Fast forward a month, he had the gun listed again at a price $30 lower than the time before. This time his ad said he would need to make a bill of sale. I messaged him that I would take the gun at his asking price if he would accept me showing my DL and CWP. He accepted and we met and did the deal. And I saved $30.

lufbro, gunbelt, fieldgrade and 7 others like this.
  7. RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief Well-Known Member

Well...those are the terms for the people doing the selling. If they're not acceptable, then don't move forward with the deal.

I understand the frustration over the fact that it's not required by law...especially if it's a good deal. But there'll be other deals.

IUHoosier429, xtp308, joebu and 6 others like this.
  8. 11B CIB

11B CIB Taking a break, eh Club Subscribed

A thread got started on .22lr the other day. It's cyclical

1406 likes this.
  9. Goofyfoot2001

Goofyfoot2001 Active Member

I ask for a CCW just to discourage the baddies. I wouldn't ever want a copy. If I see your CCW then I have done my due diligence.

10. 12151791

12151791 Member

Bill of sale, copy of DL and CCW = UNIVERSAL BACKGROUND CHECK --> REGISTRATION --> CONFISCATION

majicmike and Howland like this.
  11. 9outof10mms

9outof10mms Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

It's more paperwork...and I'm constantly throwing away crap that I thought would be useful to keep around. No more paperwork.

teamglock2002 likes this.
  12. Catfish

Catfish 'Murica! eh? Club Subscribed

I do paperwork for a living. I don't want to do paperwork for a hobby too. But I don't care enough about it to walk from a deal. If you want my signature you can have it.

13. Mad Dawg

Mad Dawg Registered Member

If I were to sell any of my handguns, I would likely go through a FFL. DL's and CCP's can very easily be forged with today's technology and a cursory look just to see if you have them will not keep the authorities from knocking on your door should the gun you sold ended being used in a crime. Looking at my CCP right now, it is crazy how simple the print is without any security, anti-forging features to it. A quality copier/printer can easily duplicate it.

As a buyer, I would likely ask that the transfer be done through a FFL as well just to make sure the gun is not stolen. It also shows to the seller, giving them a peace of mind that I am legally able to own a gun. CYA on both sides of the transaction.

14. Catfish

Catfish 'Murica! eh? Club Subscribed

That's the big lie we're all supposed to buy into: "transfers" through an FFL are somehow protection from bad stuff. They're not.

A BGC cannot divine criminal intent - it only tells if you've been caught at something. FFL's cannot tell if a gun has been stolen because they do not have access to the database. And if that gun is used in a crime you can still get a knock on the door. All you get is peace of mind - and that's all in your head because there are no guarantees. IMO a good trade rating on CSC means more to me than a BGC from the government.

15. ikarus1

ikarus1 Well-Known Member

I wonder if that FFL transaction to Dylan Roof worked out. Since the authorities and FBI did their due dillegence. I'm sure he filled out a bill of sale too. I'm sure it protected the FFL's butt.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/07/10/why-background-checks-couldnt-stop-dylan-roof/

Money quote: "The number of criminals stopped by the checks is also quite small. In 2010, there were over 76,000 initial denials, but only 44 of those were deemed worthy for prosecution by the federal government and only 13 individuals were convicted. Even those 13 cases don’t tend to be the “dangerous” criminals Obama claims are being stopped. There are additional state prosecutions, but those are rare as well."

So it begs the question, if they people who GET PAID to keep paperwork can't get it right, why the hell am I expected to fulfill some pseudo-BGC role?

Show me your NC license, and cash. If you act crazy at time of sale, you ain't getting one of my guns.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  16. lucky13bullets

lucky13bullets Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

FFL's have no way of knowing that... we cannot run the SN through some database to let us know.

17. ikarus1

but but but, it's the gubmint. They protect us from ourselves! And the crazies are skeered of em!

gunbelt and lucky13bullets like this.
  18. Bailey Boat

Bailey Boat Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

You should keep your guns..... There, feel safer??

gunbelt, ikarus1 and 9outof10mms like this.
  19. ikarus1

Keep them in a safe, and run background checks on your house guests.

20. Heavy Barrel

Heavy Barrel U. S. Military Club Subscribed

I just recently made offer on handgun from forum member. Time and place set but seller then required COPY of concealed carry permit and license. I offered to SHOW both concealed carry permit and NC Driver license to match, but not provide a copy. Due to seller's requirement for a copy and my desire to not provide a copy to seller we agreed to not do the deal. I offered no negative feed back and received none. We just could not agree to all the terms.

Maybe I really did not need the gun that bigly.

21. ikarus1

As a seller, require whatever you wish. From now on I'm requiring fellatio from your wife, only if you provide pictures beforehand. I also need a signed, notarized copy of an STD test.
    Just so the transaction is safe.

fishgutzy, Shortfuze and daleo8803 like this.
  22. fieldgrade

fieldgrade Hall of Shame

On the flip side of this (STDs and party favors notwithstanding), if the topic of having a current driver's license and CHP has not come up in the negotiations I bring it up. I was working on a recent trade where mutual interest was established via PM and I brought it up since it hadn't been mentioned anywhere in the trader's BST or discussions. Turns out the trading partner had applied for a CHP but was still waiting on it. I think his intentions were genuine with no outright nefarious intent, but that said, I politely put the kibosh on the deal.

We were all new at this at one time, or at least I was, and I didn't know what I didn't know, but it is good for those of us who do now know to guide the process, especially since you could get caught up in an illegal deal at the very least, or busted at the worst.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    Windini likes this.
  23. chiefjason

chiefjason Vendor Vendor

I bet it was a millennial. :D

ikarus1 and gunbelt like this.
  24. ikarus1

They are used to asking for permission not forgiveness. I wouldn't take that bet.

25. Beef15

Beef15 Well-Known Member

I don't have any qualm with a BOS, I've seen people want them for all sorts of serialized stuff more than a couple hundred in value, probably not worth the paper they're written on but whatever.

However, the document will contain no more than my name, their name, description of transaction, the item and serial number, date and signatures.

26. Errorhead

Errorhead Registered Member

This is no good, it is pre dated!

Tailhunter and pinkbunny like this.
  27. ikarus1

The main issue is photocopies of NCDL and CHP. This is what I say when that's requested:

TSheaffer and fieldgrade like this.
  28. RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief Well-Known Member

See, this is where the gun control crowd would go...the purely economic route.

As in, it's just plain simpler, easier, and cheaper to outlaw EVERYBODY from owning firearms.

29. Tailhunter

Tailhunter God Help Us Club Subscribed

Well that leaves me out. :cool:

30. Mikew

Mikew Well-Known Member

Hey you said you would keep it between us when you said you show me yours and I'll show you mine.....

pinkbunny likes this.