Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at some big bore AR uppers (.50 BMG, .50 Beowulf, .450 Bushmaster and .458 SOCOM) and it seems like the .458 SOCOM is a good choice for a reloader that doesn't want to break the bank (or shoulder!). Thinking about something to replace a lever action 45-70 for mid-size to large game, as well as those pesky zombies that somehow evade the .30 projectiles, and otherwise something to make a big boom. Any experience out there with these or other large caliber uppers? I've found lots of comparison articles on the interwebz but most wind up trying to sell me something in particular.

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
My vote would be the .450 Bushmaster. It's an awesome round and has the recoil of a heavy dove load out of a 20ga. Not to mention if you're reloading you can use .452 diameter bullets which IMO gives you a better range of projectiles to play with. The .458 is a fun round but it seems like it's going to fade out before too long, the .50 Beowulf is cool but not something I've ever personally fired.

The .50 BMG uppers always seemed a bit iffy to me, they're huge, hard to come by, usually janky, and expensive to buy as well as feed.

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
9,686 Posts
I have a .50 Beowulf. I like shooting it. It is often misunderstood mostly because of the idiots you see on youtube doing silly things with it. Mine has a Lothar-Walther chrome moly 16 in. barrel with a 1:19 twist. That is what makes it hit hard. It shoots alot like a 45-70 but is more versatile than the lever guns. It is fairly accurate for what it is designed for. Ammo is not too bad to get ahold of as long as you routinely monitor ImpactGuns or Midway USA websites. I have about 2000 rounds of 400 JSP and 334 grain HP. I've been hoarding it since it is hard to come by. One word of caution though. I never buy reloaded ammo for my rifle. If the cartridge is too hot it presents a bad scenario because the pressures have to be kept fairly low to shoot the cartridge in this platform. Mine is a complete Alexander Arms upper and lower. Most you see out there are Beo uppers with a non-Alexander Arms lower. Here are a few pics of mine. Take care - Dave View attachment 216 View attachment 217 View attachment 218

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Frmr0317, yeah it seems like as expensive as all the 50BMG uppers are, might as well save a while longer for a Barrett and get something "working as designed." There do seem to be a lot more vendors with 450Bushy ammo and components in stock, you're right.

Dave, that's a fine looking rifle there! I agree on not buying reloads as a rule, but I was referring to doing my own reloading of brass recovered from factory loads that I've fired.

However instead of solving the puzzle you've both left me with more food for thought ;pop

I'll keep studying for now. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I'm voting for the socom. Especially if you reload, projectiles range from 200-600 grains, cases last for 6-10 shots depending on how hot ya like em. I had a RRA for awhile, sold it like a dummy. I will have another one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.