Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,001 Posts
Watching other people shoot with lasers. It has been my experience that if you can't shoot without a laser, you can't shoot with one. It has also been pretty hilarious watching them try to sight them in. I don't know if they don't realize lasers need to be sighted in, or if theirs were mounted loosely, or if they simply thought the laser was some kind of magic wand, but watching the extreme frustration build up is pretty funny.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have to agree Mall Ninja, Couch Commando, Tacticool and no need for them on a real working rifle. I always recommend for newbies to start with a quality KISS rifle with a good sling and plenty of PMags. Take all the money that you would spend on all the cool gizmos and use it to sign up for a good Carbine Course and learn how to use it. By the time it is over you will have a better idea of what you really need on your rifle for your needs.

·
Vendor
8,069 Posts
Only in IR and with NOD's

The lasers on pistols same. No real need unless rolling with NODs. Kind of hard to shoot a pistol with PVS-14's on and hit a target. Lol

·
Registered
602 Posts
Only in IR and with NOD's

The lasers on pistols same. No real need unless rolling with NODs. Kind of hard to shoot a pistol with PVS-14's on and hit a target. Lol
I agree with you 100% , I was answering the question from the civie roll. I do have a set of Crimson Trace panels on a G23 and they can be useful when shooting from awkward positions. When it hits the fan you may not be able to perform the Weaver stance when engaing the threat. But with a rifle I just don't see a need for most folks. However you need to know how to use irons long before going to any optic or laser device.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I think there is more of place for lasers on a handgun than a carbine. As has been pointed out; having the laser on a handgun can provide you with the chance to conducted aimed fire from unusual positions where a conventional sight picture is basically impossible to gain.

On a separate note; clearing rooms with a handgun, NODs, and an IR laser can be a bear to deal with at times. I honestly would prefer to just go with white light if possible in those cases.

·
Vendor
8,069 Posts
Fully agree Chris.

At work we ran into a issue with NOD's running a carbine then transition to pistol. With NOD'S still on + threat we needed a fix fast. So we went with laser grips for the pistols. Just to say a IR on a rifle is a beam, red filter laser on a pistol looks like gods light saber with NOD's lol

John

·
Registered
57 Posts
They are mostly for fun and honestly, most people put them on their rifle because they want to have a "decked out" AR. I like using mine every once in a while, I have a green dot that is fun to play with. If you ever get a chance to run a tactical course they are fun for getting quick close range CM shots or when lighting isn't stellar. Its hard to beat good ol'e iron sights that, and I think even harded to beat a good EOtech or even a cheap red dot. Most people who have ARs are not going to be long long distance shooting or popping anything more than 100-200 yards. It has a lot to do with the "cool factor". I've seen so many ARs sell at gun shows because of lasers and lights.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.