Lead bullets in stock Glock barrels | Carolina Shooters Club

Lead bullets in stock Glock barrels

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Bigdave0924, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Bigdave0924

Bigdave0924 Member

So I’ve read it’s safe and I’ve read it’s not safe. Who here shoots lead in their glocks? Specifically 9mm and 10mm. I accidentally bought a a box locally of lead 10mm but haven’t loaded them yet. I am not very experienced reloading I just started when 9mm doubled in price a few months ago just looking for advise from more seasoned reloaders.

2. Ben W.

Ben W. Registered Member

I have shot lead in Glocks; G35 and G34. You have to have full diameter bullets (measure your barrel) or perhaps .001 over, at least. Keep velocities sane and if it's a good lube it should be ok. Watch for lead build up and if you get some a Lewis Lead Remover works well. DON'T let the leading build up. Usually once it starts (if it starts at all) it'll build fast. Good luck.

Bigdave0924 and SkydivnShooter like this.
  3. SkydivnShooter

SkydivnShooter Staff Member Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

My take is, it's kinda like the folks who swear that you cannot trust a reloaded piece of brass that has ever been run through a Glock because the chamber is unsupported. Pfffffffwwwwttt. I have a few thousand rounds of reloads without issue to challenge that.

I've never run pure lead but I've run a lot of plated lead. The opponents arguments are: rifling is rougher, bore is comparatively small, lead build up happens quickly, voids the Glock warranty, blah, blah, blah. Then, there are the folks who have run thousands of lead bullets through their Glocks in competitions without issue.

To me, it's one of those issues that you gotta decide for yourself. Either get a non-Glock barrel for your Glock or do the thorough research on what you are doing and pay diligent attention to the details.

Here's a great article on the engineering issues...
    https://gundigest.com/gun-reviews/handguns-reviews/can-i-shoot-lead-in-my-glock

Bigdave0924 likes this.
  4. Bigdave0924

Bigdave0924 Member

I need a threaded barrel for my suppressor that’s in jail anyway I’ll just buy a threaded wolf barrel and shoot the hell out of the 8 cent bullets :D

5. Ben W.

Ben W. Registered Member

In bulk you can get coated bullets for less than .08. I'm pretty partial to Blue Bullets myself. YMMV.

Bigdave0924 and SkydivnShooter like this.
  6. Bigdave0924

Bigdave0924 Member

Cheapest I’ve seen today on ammo seek for 147gr has been 8 cents. I’ll look around. I’ve still got about 7k berry’s 147gr so I’ve got some time to shop.

7. SkydivnShooter

We've had pretty good luck shooting 9mm Major, double charged rounds out of the KKM barrel in this build...

Caleb Race Gun.jpg

Bigdave0924 likes this.
  8. Ben W.

Ben W. Registered Member

Nice piece!

9. SkydivnShooter

Thanks. It was a fun project for my son to shoot USPSA Open with.

Took a while to dial it in but he shot it again two weekends ago and it's running great now

10. Manny

Manny Registered Member

I use lead coated almost exclusively.
    Hitek coated lubed bullets work extremely well in gen 3 glock 19.
    Shoot about 1400fps on average with 5.6 of power pistol.
    Love em and rhey simply work

11. Shortfuze

Shortfuze U. S. Military Club Subscribed

Glock says no unjacketed bullets in their barrels that is straight from the horses mouth. Change barrels and shoot anything. People do it with factory barrels but you do risk lead build up and eventual failure from it effects.

12. Tuna

Tuna Registered Member

Its the rifling that Glock uses. Its Polygonal and with lead bullets it can strip lead off the bullet and allows it to build up to the point that pressure is quite high. Then the barrel can let go. The unsupported chambers were with older model Glocks. The first to blow were .45 acp models followed by S&W .40's and finally the 9mm's. The first thing Glock did was to blame it on reloaded ammo but like a Sheriff's department in N.Y. said they do not shoot reloaded ammo when their .45 acps started letting go. They dumped the Glocks and went to Sig's.