Lee .452 230gr Truncated cone | Carolina Shooters Club

Lee .452 230gr Truncated cone

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by carolina sorillo, Jul 16, 2020.

1. carolina sorillo

carolina sorillo Registered Member

On another thread I mentioned that my Lee .452 200gr rnfp, that I used to use in .45LC, doesn't feed that great in my 1911. So, I was looking at Lee's 230gr truncated cone, it appears to have a profile very similar to Hornady's XTP's which run through it like water. So I was wondering if any of you use it or have tried it and what your thoughts were about it's accuracy and functionality.

NEVERMIND, AFTER POSTING THIS I GOOGLED IT AND THE GENERAL CONCENSUS IS: IT'S ACCURATE AND FEEDS WELL. THE ONLY COMPLAINT WAS THE BEVELED BASE.

Thanks,
    CS

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  2. Reloader762

Reloader762 Registered Member

I have the six cavity tumble lube version of that Lee mold that I have shot some but not extensively in my Ruger P-90 and Hi Point carbine in 45 ACP. It feeds with no issues in either firearm and accuracy is good, it's a new mold to me and I havent had time to work up any test loads other than my normal load I shoot with the Lee 230 gr. cast LRN. Not sure whats up with beveled bases, I must have missed the memo on those as they have always shot well for me.
    [​IMG]

3. carolina sorillo

You and your colored bullets!!;)

I think I'm going to get the one with the standard lube groove. The only "problem" I've ever had with a beveled base was lube collecting there when I ran them through my Lubri-Sizer. If you can call that a problem.

When I was shooting SASS I shot 200gr rnfp in my pistols and 255gr rnfp in my rifle. So when I needed more pills I'd run 2 255gr 2 cavity molds and a 6 cavity 200gr. I'd fill both my 20# pots early on Sat. morning, drink a cup of coffee while the lead warmed up and by lunch time I had just over 1000 bullets ready to be lubed. I plan to do this the same way but with the 6 cavity 200gr TC and 2 135gr 270 molds for plinking and small game.

I may replace the XTP's with this for SD if they shoot good enough. I cast a relatively soft bullet so it should give pretty good expansion too.

CS

4. Reloader762

Reloader762 Registered Member

I have the Lee 200 gr. 45 cal. SWC with standard grease grooves that I have ran through my RCBS lubsizer, didnt really notice that much if any lube buildup on the base. I PC everything these days so it not an issue.

5. carolina sorillo

I can't remember what bullet it was because it was years ago but I once lubed a bevel base bullet with my Lubri-Sizer and there was a little lube filling the space the bevel left. Not much but there was some there. Maybe an O-ring could prevent it? Maybe it really ain't that bad?

CS

6. carolina sorillo

My mold came yesterday and I tried it out today. I poured 150 bullets, lubed them and loaded 50 test rounds.

Lubed them in the Lubri-Sizer with no problems. There was a little lube around the base but very little.

I put the first 2 test rounds in the mag with the slide locked back. When I released the slide the loaded rounds slipped right in. Just like the XTP's, these feed smoooooth! I can't wait to see how they shoot. I loaded 5rds each of 5 different charges of Unique and Titegroup. I'll let ya know how they shoot when I get a chance to get out there.

CS

7. carolina sorillo

Got another day off today, so I tried them out this morning. I'm shooting them in a Springfield Lightweight Compact Range Officer w/ 4" barrel. It didn't care for the Titegroup loads. From 15 yards the best group I got with TG was about 2.5". 3 of the Unique loads were around 1"-1.25". The best load had 4rds just over 3/4" and the 5th round opened the group up to just under 1". That one also chrono'ed 867fps. They all fed smooth as silk. After a little more testing this may be my new SD load. A 235gr .45 caliber truncated cone running 867fps should do the job.

CS

Here's that best group:
    235 tc 5.8 Unique.jpg