Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are in another country Ongobongoland, let's say. You happen across a select fire AK 47. You remove the fire control group, and send it back in the mail. I am pretty sure this is legal.

You have a friend who is also interested in AKs and he is interested in the FLAT piece of stamped out metal with that infamous third hole in it.

Question. Is that flat piece of metal considered a full auto weapon by ATF?

I do understand the warning about constructive intent. That is why we are talking about two separate parties, here.

Any legal eagles who know whether this is legal/illegal?

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
First off, I'm pretty sure you'd be breaking importation laws as they are pretty strict about only allowing the new import of sporting rifles, like a Saiga, but not 'assault rifles' like an AK. Otherwise Century probably wouldn't have such a hand in AKs.

·
Premium Member
11,666 Posts
To your first question... once a full auto, always a full auto according to the ATF... the only way to make that AK legal for sale would be to cut the receiver, strip out the barrel and then import it as a parts kit.

As for your second question, I asked a SOT the other day... I was told that as soon as you bend that sucker into shape, you have made a MG and the ATF would want to talk to you...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.