Let's drop the weight challenge | Page 42 | Carolina Shooters Club

Let's drop the weight challenge

Discussion in 'Survival & Preparedness' started by B00GER, Jun 22, 2012.

1. ForumSurfer

ForumSurfer Ar Hugger. Carpe diem per guttur . Club Subscribed

1. Outstanding job. What did you do if you don't mind sharing?

2. For pete's sake man you look sad in picture number two lol, must have been early morning!

2. #1Gunnah

#1Gunnah Member

Its been since November 2013. I really changed a lot about my diet and started to walk and run, lost about 20lbs. I originally dropped down to about 210 which took only about 5 months of consistent running and calisthenics. Then I started working on making strength gains so I started eating a bunch of good healthy food and lots of ice cream. Got back to 230.

I have been running every day this spring and summer. I also do a bunch of calisthenics along with dips and pull ups. I cut out ice cream and only have about 1 beer a week. I have gotten down to 205. In the fall after it gets to cold to run in the morning I start to lift and do more strength training. I will put on another 10 or 15 lbs just from eating more, lifting more and running less. I'll do that for the winter until its time to start running again. Right now I'm running between 19 to 25 miles a week depending on weather and how I feel.

I really don't have any special work outs. I like to run every morning. I think it gets my metabolism going. I do regular stuff consistently. Jump rope, Push ups, lunges, air squats, pull ups, chin ups, mountain climbers, Sit ups, Australian pull ups/ring rows. I actually get a bunch of stuff off youtube. The Barstarz beginner workout is really great. I like the cals because I don't feel like I will be injured like I would with weights.

I guess that's my flex face. I wasn't sad. I was tired and hungry though.

3. ForumSurfer

Roger that. Injuries can happen.....you typically learn how to avoid injury after you discover that bad form will injure you after 10,000,000 people already told you it will.

Low carb day face...that's all you had to say lol. :)

4. #1Gunnah

#1Gunnah Member

I eat so much food now but I'm always hungry. This morning I woke up ate 2 bananas and 6 dates. I ran 5 miles and I had to force myself to take a shower before I ate breakfast. I'm crushing food. Good food but a lot of it.

5. ForumSurfer

Your body is likely telling you that you need it. When I'm on arnold blueprint like routines, I eat non stop all day...I just make sure to eat crap that isn't bad for me. If you're on a physically grueling routine of any kind and making positive gains...it is actually kinda hard to force yourself to eat enough protein/carbs/fruits/veggies.

6. bigfelipe

bigfelipe I'm told I'm pretty awesome... Lifetime Member

Well, I'm back on the wagon. Shaved last week and realized I had an extra chin hiding under my beard... Lol... I immediately cleaned out the fridge and went hardcore low carb. No more booze for awhile either...

Just got new tires for the bikes I just bought. About to start with that. Lifting won't be an option until I work out this damn tendinitis in my arms, so cardio on top of my physically active job is all I have for now. Hopefully that's enough to get me going...

fieldgrade likes this.
  7. jrlcamp

jrlcamp Registered Member

Well guys I have been lurking for a while around here. I was 305 then about 3 years ago dropped down to 190 but after i started on the road for my job i have gained back to around 260-270. Really need something to hold me accountable. I know i can get healthy because i have already done it once. I am going to try and post here often, may need someone to kick my tail if i fall off the wagon again.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2015
    fieldgrade likes this.
  8. bigfelipe

So how are all the fat guys doing? Anyone making gains?

I've been really good for the last 3 weeks. Down almost 15 pounds...

Struggling but getting by...

9. fieldgrade

fieldgrade Hall of Shame

My Jan.1 goal for this year was to get to 208 from about 215. Nothing major at all, but I had been at 228 the year before.

Anyway, for some reason my weight went up to 221 as of this past Monday.

I saw fishgutzy's post about eggs, cheese, and Neese's sausage, and started eating mostly that, still drinking beer at night for medicinal purposes, and I've lost 5 lbs since Monday. It's a month before my annual physical, so maybe I can drop a few more and not get berated by my beanpole doctor.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  10. Brian K

Brian K Corporate Scapegoat Club Subscribed

I've lost 4 inches from my waist....but gained 10lbs. Yeah yeah, I know what it means, but the scale judges me - and so does the doctor.

fieldgrade likes this.
  11. ForumSurfer

Slap both of them. Weight measurement is the least helpful of all measurements and it is created by a society of sissies. **feinstein what you weigh...exercise for what you want top be or look like. That's why I measure my waist, stomach, chest, biceps, thighs and calves. Tracking your weight leaves you sad and depressed because the scale doesn't track progress.

12. Brian K

Brian K Corporate Scapegoat Club Subscribed

I understand, but being diabetic the doctor and the insurance company only seem to care about my BMI, which is technically valid but doesn't show the whole picture. At 6'1" and 270 my BMI is around 35 which is considered obese. My entire goal is to have my blood sugar to be regulated by diet and exercise alone, no more meds, for that to even be a possibility I need less fat and more muscle.

13. ForumSurfer

That's a hell of a great thing to strive for. Good luck on that. I wish you the best.

I understand the doctors and insurance. I'm listed as "overweight" according to BMI. **** them and what they say (about healthy weight). I'm strong, healthy and happy. I have no desire to be a cardio bunny with no mass. Hell I think I'm too small as it is so my weight is only going up from here. Capture.JPG

I take doctors' advice with a grain of salt. Once he starts talking anything BMI related I shut down. His input means nothing at that point. My current PA is very likable. He told me I was overweight according to BMI on my last checkup/physical, and then he proceeded to tell me BMI was bullspit. Of course...maybe he was just romancing me before he finished the physical...

14. Madmardigan

Madmardigan Dead and Remembering Lifetime Member

I was at 235 and on the verge of diabetes.

I'm at 220 now, but have cut 5"s off my waist. No clue what my blood sugar is, but I don't drink sugar drinks and junk food anymore. I probably went from 35% fat to 22% fat. My goal is 200lbs and 10% fat.

15. Madmardigan

Neck: Last: 17" now: 16 3/4"
    Chest: Last: 43" now: 45"
    Waist: Last: 43" now: 42"
    Thigh: Last: 25 1/2" now: 25"
    Calves: Last: 15 3/4" now: 16"
    Bicep: Last: 15 3/4" now: 15 3/4"
    Forearm: Last: 12 1/2" now: 12 3/4
    Ass: Last: 43 3/4" now: 44"

16. sojourner

sojourner Registered Member

I'm in. Started a couple years ago. Got really sick about five years ago and ended up in the hospital. Almost died. Have lost a lot and will continue to do so. Doing much better now.

firemedic54 and ForumSurfer like this.
  17. ForumSurfer

Good luck brother.

18. Madmardigan

I'm trying the carb cycling.

Day 1:

This really effing sucks.

19. FlatFender

FlatFender Not Here Anymore. Club Subscribed

Low carb? Dude, eat some bacon.

Or sausage patties with a sliver of cream cheese on top.

Or cheese.

Or steak. Topped with butter.

20. Madmardigan

It's energy level. We are doing low carb 2 day, high carb 1 day cycle.

This is a low carb day. But we are also cutting cals back.

ForumSurfer likes this.
  21. ForumSurfer

I was a complete wreck on low carb days. I did cut way down to 165 and lost some gains in the process.

Currently I'm bulking and the universe is beautiful. 182 and I got my nice round 16" bicep measurement back lol

22. Madmardigan

That's my fear, but I am 220lbs

ForumSurfer likes this.
  23. ForumSurfer

You know, I experimented this summer with diets and rep ranges. With carb cycling and no cardio (at all) I went from 178 to 165. At 165 I looked bigger despite losing size (half inch everywhere). I felt like total shit if I was late on a meal though, I guess my body didn't have enough reserves. At 183 today, I feel great. Basketball twice a week is my cardio for 3 more weeks. I'm going heavier for lower reps. My joints hurt less, too. I don't think I'll try cutting again unless I top 190.

Oh..and my waist stayed the same, 32 the entire time.

24. #1Gunnah

#1Gunnah Member

Do you guys do any meal preps for the week? I do a few and will list them but what are somethings you do and prepare for the week if any?

I cook all my preps on Sunday. That way it lasts until Saturday. Mostly Breakfast, Lunch and some side items that I can snack on if I get way hungry. We eat burrito style salads most nights and pork BBQ with the prep-ed side items later in the week.

First Meal prep: Breakfast

I make egg cups in large muffin pans. It's 2 eggs per cup plus 1\4 cup of spinach, bell peppers and rotisserie chicken. I make 12 for the week and eat 2 at breakfast everyday. I recently got silicone muffin pans and they made this so simple and easy. This makes morning chow so easy. It eliminates having to cook during the week as well as the associated dishes and clean up.

Second meal prep : Lunch

The meal is Half and avocado, 3 strips of bacon, 1\2 cup of diced rotissire chicken add a few shakes of Bosari salt . Mix it up like chicken salad and serve it on top of a bowl of leafy greens. Obviously the avocado is going to be nasty if I prep it on Sunday and eat it on Wednesday. I typically just put the chicken bacon and bosari in a bowl and pack the avocado and Spring mix on the day I will eat it. They sell bosari at Whole Foods in the meet department. It is delicious! (http://borsarifoods.com/product/seasoned-salts/)

I've made salmon in the past for my lunches. No more then three pieces because it isn't' something that keeps well. But normally by Wednesday or Thursday the chicken is gone and we are eating pulled pork.

Sides,

I make sweet potatoes by peeling them and cutting them into disks about a half an inch think with a little bit of Cinnamon on top. I do 5 a week. I cook them until I can stab a fork in them with easy. They are super good cold on a hot day. I eat them for breakfast most mornings.

I get a big bag of Asparagus from Costco (about 2 lbs). Wash chop and add salt, pepper, garlic powder. Put it in the oven for about 15 minuets. Typically I cook and entire pack of bacon for the salads. If you cook the bacon in the over with the asparagus the asparagus picks up a nice smokey bacon flavor. This is the only way I can entire Costco bag of asparagus and it not go bad. Cook it all at once.

We make a big bowl of white rice for our dinners.

Soup in mason jars!

We go thru 2 rotisserie chickens a week. We get them at the same time and I pick what meat off I can feed to us and the dog. I take everything else and put it in a crock pot. Add 2 or 3 litters of water and about 4 table spoons of apple cider vinegar and let it sit until the next morning. When I wake up I add 5 sliced garlic cloves, 10 whole pepper corns, 1 chopped yellow onion, 4 bay leaves, 1 bunch of fresh parsley and 2 packets of Knox unflavored Gelatin. I set it on high and let it do its thing all day. At around 7PM I turn it off and let it sit until 9pm. Then I strain it and then strain it again into mason jars. I normally get 6 or seven. I put them in the fridge. When you go to heat and eat a layer of fat will be present on the top. You can spoon it off or eat it. This has lots of collagen in it as well as other nutrients. Its really good for your guts and skin.

Does anyone do anything similar? Any recipes to share?

drypowder and bigfelipe like this.
  25. ForumSurfer

Bother I'm bulking. I cook chicken and lots of it on Sunday and wednesday. I eat quite a bit of chicken and brown rice. I don't weigh it, I just eat eat eat. I'm trying to add muscle and I've always had trouble gaining weight.

We should start a clean eating recipe thread. I've thought about it. I need a good homemade jerk sauce recipe.

#1Gunnah likes this.
  26. bigfelipe

That's a short cycle. What kind of results are you getting?

Do you find it's fast enough to kick your body into ketosis? I've been doing a longer version. 7 days ultra-low carb, 2 days moderate healthy-ish carbs. Little to no wheat outside of beer on carb days, mostly corn/potatoes/sweet potatoes. That's when I allow alcohol, fruit, and low-sugar/sugar free sweets too. I'm finding this works to stop any plateau and gives me an outlet for cravings.

27. ForumSurfer

I did similar cycling. I ate high carbs on chest/leg/shoulder day and low carbs the rest of the week. I hated it. I was miserable. My energy level was crap. I lost pounds doing that and doing a modified ...178-165....which in the end didn't mean shit, except pounds. I look pretty much the same at 183, but I feel fantastic.

Also, I finally made calf progress. Time under tension is key. I now do calf raises twice on leg day. 4 sets of 10 going REALLY heavy and 2 sets of 25 at a lighter weight SLOWLY, with your calf flexed throughout the entire exercise...if your calf relaxes at any point, you're doing it wrong.

28. Madmardigan

It's day 2... So umm I don't know

29. bigfelipe

Different goals I think. I'm not interested in building/ lifting right now. Just dropping the gut. My calves are nice...

30. bigfelipe

Gotcha. Interested to hear how that goes. Sound like it's too fast a turn around from my understanding of how it works for pure weight loss, but I'm just starting out on it myself. It's worked well the last month+ but I'm coming off a bad cheat week so we'll see when I get back on track for awhile...