Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.......

If the law says its illegal to shoot any caliber greater than .22 except from 8 feet off the ground. I should be able shoot a .223 while on the ground right? I'm referring to martin co.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Knifework... follow the above link to local laws and scroll down to martin co. Are you seeing something I'm not??? What's not logical about my OP? Seems as shooting a .223 from the ground would be legal. I

·
My Mom says I'm cool.
4,332 Posts
It says .22 caliber, not .22 diameter. don't try to lawyer the process.

·
RWVA Instructor
2,218 Posts
A 22lr has a diameter of .222, IIRC. We still call it a 22 caliber, despite the extra couple of thousandths. Seems like a fair enough thing to ask whether a 223 would also count as 22 caliber. Normally, I'd say yes. I am pretty confident that the law intends to exclude everything other than 22lr (or short or long, maybe), but it isn't actually written that way.

·
RWVA Instructor
2,218 Posts
Or something tall enough to get the rifle 8' high.
That's why I always hunt on stilts.

Well, that and also the deer aren't expecting hunters on stilts, so I get an extra element of surprise.

·
RWVA Instructor
2,218 Posts
I thought the point of the law was to keep people from shooting high powered rifles standing on the ground. If that is the case you should know a .223 is a no-no.
No disagreement here. I'm just saying that the law as written appears to allow the use of 223 (according to standard conventions regarding the use of terms like 'caliber' and so forth). But despite appearances, it's almost certainly true that you can't legally use a 223 or whatever. So you've got to try to figure out the intention of the lawmakers in order to determine what's actually going on with the law. (Unless there's some clearer statement of what the regulations mean when they say "22 caliber" somewhere.) That's interesting to me.

Edit: Here's a fairly recent thread where legal interpretations were being offered by large numbers of wholly unqualified people, including myself. http://www.carolinashootersclub.com...a-pistol-in-NC?highlight=seller+retain+permit One reason I am interested in this thread about the use of 22 caliber rifles is that people here are taking for granted that we have to get at the lawmaker's intentions when interpreting the laws. But in the other thread I just linked, it was very strongly argued that we shouldn't be paying any attention to intentions, but just looking at the plain text. As I say, I find these things interesting.

·
Premium Member
6,391 Posts
Agreed. I find it interesting as well. Probably not much question what the intent was. But the fact remains it is written as it is written. I wonder how the law is worded exactly?

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts
Wait!!! I have an idea, why not call the warden that would be writing you a ticket!!!!! Wildlife Enforcement Officer Seth Reinhart @ 919-410-9662...... OR.... email [email protected]
That way the issue is put to bed......

·
Registered
782 Posts
Agreed. I find it interesting as well. Probably not much question what the intent was. But the fact remains it is written as it is written. I wonder how the law is worded exactly?
"The following is unlawful....Discharge a rifle of greater than .22-caliber, except from an elevated position in which the rifle is a minimum of eight feet above the ground."

Sent from my Official Apple Tracking Device

·
RWVA Instructor
2,218 Posts
Wait!!! I have an idea, why not call the warden that would be writing you a ticket!!!!! Wildlife Enforcement Officer Seth Reinhart @ 919-410-9662...... OR.... email [email protected]
That way the issue is put to bed......
That's another issue that came up in that other thread I linked. There's no particular reason to think that what a certain LEO tells you has any particular connection to what the law actually says.

·
RWVA Instructor
2,218 Posts
"The following is unlawful....Discharge a rifle of greater than .22-caliber, except from an elevated position in which the rifle is a minimum of eight feet above the ground."

Sent from my Official Apple Tracking Device
That's what the wildlife regulations say. Presumably they are reporting a local ordinance. I wonder what the wording of the actual ordinance is. Presumably we could look it up, if we were more enterprising than me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.