Longe Range rifle | Carolina Shooters Club

Longe Range rifle

Discussion in 'The Snipers Nest' started by jb2sea, Nov 20, 2019.

1. jb2sea

jb2sea Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I bought a T/C Compass in 6.5 Creed several months back. I've debated getting a good scope (probably a Vortex 6-24 PST) and try my luck at long range. But am trying to decide if I'd be better off selling the T/C Compass and buying something like the Savage 12 or Ruger RPR. I've never put a round through the T/C Compass, so no idea how accurate it may be. I would really like to have a 1/2 MOA rifle. I'd be surprised if the T/C Compass would give me that, even if I were lucky. Thoughts?

Headspace likes this.
  2. MurphyLong

MurphyLong sudo Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

As I understand it, the Compass is quite capable of what you're trying to accomplish. From what I have heard from the few people I know that own one, the consensus was that you may want to give it a once over, checking all fasteners before shooting, and again after- but you should be golden.

3. jb2sea

When I bought it, I figured it would be a 1 MOA rilfe. but not 1/2 MOA. does anyone here own one and can advise what they actually are seeing out of the Compass? I don't want to put a $1000 scope on it and then find out it just is not capable of what I'm after. I'm also planning to get a Boyd's stock added before i add the scope. So with stock, scope and rings, I'll be adding $1300 onto a $350 rifle. I just want to be sure that makes sense, as far as getting the results.

The Savage 12 and the Ruger RPR seem to be pretty well known to get 1/2 MOA, assuming everything is sat up correctly, shooter does their part, and you don't get unlucky and get a bad one.

4. jb2sea

Anyone?

5. Jim Ligon

Jim Ligon Registered Member

I just bought the Christensen Arms Mesa Long Range in 6.5 PRC. I know this doesn’t answer your question about your 22” barrel, but I bought mine knowing I wanted to do 1000 yard target shooting. I watched many videos and read many blogs on this particular rifle and cartridge and I feel confident that It’ll do the job. Having said all that, the round you chose is a good long distance round, but I’m not sure about your barrel length. I couldn’t find any blog that said 22” is too short, but plenty of blogs talking about 24”-28” barrels being just fine. You might be disappointed with the platform if you’re going for the “one mile club”. This is me just rambling, trying to play the devils advocate. Keep researching and asking people who shoot long distances for better educated info.
    Good luck

6. Charles Greene

Charles Greene Registered Member

Just joined and saw the chat. At 200 yards with a Fortis muzzle brake attached mine shoots better than 1/4 moa. It is an excellent firearm with a factory 5r barrel.

7. Charles Greene

Charles Greene Registered Member

It does excellent out to 1000. But that's as far as I've taken mine. Going to try 1200 with a little better weather. May try longer but I think that's getting to the limit.

Jim Ligon likes this.
  8. Jim Ligon

Jim Ligon Registered Member

I’m still breaking mine in and also waiting on a new scope for longer range targets to arrive. I’m on the east coast in NC and am looking around for a shooting range that will accommodate longer distance targets. I do enjoy the rifle sport.

9. Headspace

Headspace Registered Member

I can't speak for the rifle, but you should like the scope. I use a 6-24x HST Vortex on my LRR. When you mount it, plan on a 20MOA mount for it. 36,000 inches is a long way off.

10. jb2sea

Thanks for the comments. Still undecided, but am leaning towards selling it and getting the RPR. I'm just mentally having a hard time justifying a $1000 scope on a $350 rifle. Maybe I should consider keeping the Compass and getting the HST 6-24 instead? Seems that would make more sense.

Jim, I'll be looking for a place for longer range shooting as well. I'm in eastern NC too.

11. Headspace

Headspace Registered Member

You can always get the scope, mount it to what you already have and shoot it a while. Doesn't matter if the gun was $350 or $3500, if it shoots well. Always nice to have good glass on top. Then later, if you still want the RPR, you've spread out the cost and can move the scope over. I'd like to get the RPR, or one of the Savage LRR/DMR rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor. I shoot a Grendel AR right now, it's been good out to 1125 yards.

Where you at down East? As flat as it is, their ought to be lots of opportunity for long shots, but then there's no hill to stop it, lol. Is Butner anywhere close enough for routinely driving there?

12. jb2sea

I'm in New Bern.

Not a bad idea to go on and get the scope and try out the Compass. It probably won't matter much $$ wise if the Compass is unfired or 20 rounds through it if I do decide to sell it.

13. FrontLineDefense

FrontLineDefense Range Owner-Instructor

Get the RPR and roll with the Vortex glass. I have 4 slots left for my intro to 1,oooyd rifle May 30/31. I have plenty of the rpr in classes and competitions. Great build. I helped design the RPR 22LR as well.

14. ggmanning

ggmanning Registered Member

I agree on the RPR and Vortex glass. RPR is arguably the best production class gun set up for distance and a mid level PST mil/mil is backed by a good warranty and durable. A PST can be found used very reasonably and it's what I set my kids up with years ago introducing them to long range. Not great glass at that price point but good repeatable erectors and that is the minimum you need starting out. After hundreds and hundreds of revolutions dialing for prairie dogs and steel they still pass a box test very well. If you enjoy it you'll be doing builds and moving up in glass but both gun and scope Frontline suggests are a great entry.