Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Glock 19 and Springfield 1911 Range Officer. Wife has a S&W 632. Also have a Ruger 10/22.
Looking to add to the collection. Narrowed it down to:
Beretta Px4 Storm
Beretta 92FS
Sig Sauer 226

All sound like great weapons. Expect to use them for range shooting and home defense.
Any recommendations on those three? Or did I miss something better?

·
Registered
408 Posts
You have two pistols that are (arguably) single action trigger pulls - G19 & 1911. With the ones you've listed you should try them out (buddy or range rental), and see if you like the double action (da)/single action (sa) triggers <--and their associated initial trigger pulls. (I had a da/sa .45 acp. I would double tap, due to the first pull of the trigger was so tough, and the the second pull was so light.)

If you're looking for a longer 9mm, I'd choose a G17. The G19 could share the mags, holsters, etc. You are already familiar with Glock, so I'd keep the same pistol series for ease of training/memory of functions when the 'bump in the night' happens. (For what it's worth I sold/traded the DA/SA pistol and purchased a Glock 30sf <---it's a keeper!!)

I probably didn't help, just sharing my experience.

Later, T.J.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I think you're pretty well set with any of them. Of course, you mention self defense so I'll point out that the manual of arms is slightly different for each one of those listed. So if your primary reason is defense, I'd get something that all the controls worked the same as one of the pistols you already have - a 1911 maybe in 9mm or a Glock 17.

BUT - if you like to collect and want one, I'd go for the 92FS- adding to your collection of US Mlilitary issue weapons. Also, I miss my 92 a lot that I Had back in 1994. It was a SLICK shooting pistol.

WHATEVER You get, now you have to show us pictures! ;toast

·
Registered
383 Posts
I am partial to the Beretta 92, but I have the 92D (Double Action Only) version myself. From those autos that you have listed I would reccomend the 92FS.

Why not get a revolver to add to what you have? I would suggest a Ruger GP-100 or an SP-101. While I like autos, I am more of a revolver fan. Shooting revolvers has improved my auto shooting skills considerably over the last 7 years.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
I have a Beretta 92, a Glock, and I sold a Sig (another is coming for Christmas). Of those, the Beretta is easier to work the slide for a woman in my opinion, if she doesn't like one in the pipe. But as you say, your wife has the revolver. The Glocks and Sigs take muscle unless there's on in the chamber. But with the Sig of course, if it's DA/SA, it's trigger is quicker than the Glock, unless you use the decock. I don't keep my pistol charged, but the shotgun is charged with safety on.

My HD pistol is the G23, but my wife loves the Beretta 92D.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
If you carry or even shoot the glock well way not look at a g34 for range / home defence needs. Have 2 of something of a kind . You will not have learn a another firearm and have one that you can play with/tune up if you deside.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Of the weapons listed, I'd go with the 226. It is a great weapon, with a very good stock trigger and has super capacity mag options offered by Sig (i.e. 20 rd 9mm, 15 rd .357 and .40). Depending on what model you get, you can also get into the SRT (short reset trigger), or just have it added to the stock 226 later down the road...unless you're wanting something with a polymer frame...in that case I'd add HK to your list since the P226 is not going to be much different as far as price, especially if you are considering a Sig with the SRT. I still have Sigs, and love them, but made the switch to HK a few years back and am very happy. Just my $.02...

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Sounds like you need a black rifle...
This. I'm a firm believer in have a simple 5 gun arsenal before you start doubling up.

Handgun
Shotgun
10/22
Black rifle
Bolt action centerfire

Nothing you can't do with that load.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
I love my PX4 storm

·
Banned
13,863 Posts
FN 5.7. It will shoot through schools.

I love mine. 20 round mag, light as hell, accurate with low recoil and it packs a nasty,nasty punch. It is almost and good as 5.56 for penetration and soft tissue damage.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I have another thought...Before you use up your "new gun fund" on a new pistol, do you have good holsters for all of your current pistols? How about mag pouches and a good gunbelt? What about spare mags, do you have a bunch of mags for the Glock, 1911 and 10/22? Ammo, how big is your ammo stash? do you have enough where you can go to the range at any time and shoot all you want without having to stop by the store to buy ammo? I would want to be able to answer "yes" to all of these questions before I spent up my cash on another pistol, but that is just me, YMMV.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a sig P226 tacops, the absolute epitome of a combat pistol. IMO, the sig P226 is one of the top pistols EVER made. Recoil is minimal, eats EVERYTHING I feed it, there really isn't anything else you could want.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
If you want something "different" and get two for the price of one, look into the Rock Island Armory .22 TCM in the 1911a2 frame, it comes with 2 barrels and recoil springs to fire the .22 TCM and 9mm cartridges. The .22 TCM has velocity close to the 5.7, but the ammo is less expensive AND you get the 1911 frame. The mags hold 17 of the .22 ammo and 16 9mm, this gun has been a literal blast to shoot!!! I've been really having fun with it, I shoot IDPA with the 9mm and plan on shooting steel target with the .22 TCM.
Can't go wrong.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.