Loose plunger tube | Carolina Shooters Club

Loose plunger tube

Discussion in 'Carolinas 1911 Forum' started by carolina sorillo, Feb 11, 2021.

1. carolina sorillo

carolina sorillo Registered Member

So I drew my Springfield Lightweight Compact RO from it's holster, touched the safety and heard a faint click. The safety wouldn't disengage. I looked at it and the safety plunger had slipped past the safety and was holding it in place. I Googled the problem to see what others have done. It appears the plunger tube gets loose because it's just pressed in place. As suggested, I put a couple drops of blue Lock-tite under the tube. No dice. Then I realized the original design was for the grip to ride just up on the tube. Unfortunately, my LwtCRO has thinline grips. Which, as most of you know, are not thick enough to ride up on the tube. So, I used a couple pieces of electrical tape on top of the grip to apply pressure to the tube. Still, no dice. I like the Springfield "US" stamped GI grips. So I went to their website to see if I could buy a set of them. Again, no dice!! However, they did have a set of checkered Walnut grips. Not the best looking grips I've ever seen but they will do. Especially since they were on sale. How does $3 sound for a set of checkered Walnut grips for a 1911 compact frame??!!

I'll let ya know if this fixes the problem.

Since this my EDC, I also added some Stainless grip screws because the blued screws rusted from sweat.

CS
    RO Compact.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    ammoaddict likes this.
  2. Bailey Boat

Bailey Boat Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

If this is a carry gun, don't chance it!! Get the tube re-staked and be happier.....

Ben W. and SkydivnShooter like this.
  3. crashclint

crashclint Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

The same thing has happened to my Sig 1911. I have a staking tool but it is in a POD (building a house). I talked to a local gunsmith and he is going to try and work it in this week. I bought my staking tool from Brownell's for around $50. If you are going to shoot 1911 pistols, it is a good thing to have around. EGW sells plunger tubes for $15 if the one on your gun isn't usable.

4. carolina sorillo

I've owned several Springfield's and Rock Islands through the years but never had this happen. I didn't know it was an issue until this one did it. Then, I Googled it. I found a message board discussing it and a Glock "fanboy" said it was a "design flaw". (I'll take this over being shot in the leg by an accidental discharge any day!) Anyway, that got me thinking. The thinline grips were NOT the original design. Which is what lead me to the regular grips. Also, Springfield's safety is flat right up to the "thumb bar" part of it. Which also helps to allow the plunger to slip by when the tube moves. Which, I think, is why Mr. Browning DESIGNED the grip to hold the tube in.

Since this is my EDC I will look in to restaking it.

Thanks for the input guys,
    CS

5. Sharps4050

Sharps4050 Registered Member

The grip is not designed to hold the tube in. Its a staked part, same as the front sight.

Restaking rarely holds. Get a new tube, have it staked.

I have seen them silver soldered along with staking.

Recommend another edc pending R&R

6. carolina sorillo

Thanks,
    I emailed Springfield about it and they were going to do it. But I want to have the barrel threaded also. And they wouldn't do the threading. So I'm looking for a local smith to do both now.

CS

7. Sharps4050

Sharps4050 Registered Member