Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Les Deplorables
12,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a lower parts kit (LPK) and some furniture for a 5.56 build. Is it worth the extra money for a recreational shooter to get a more expensive LPK than PSA's kit? What other LPK's do you guys like?

For furniture, is MOE basically the first step up from the basic A2 stuff? Anything else in that price range?

I'm thinking MOE handguard for now. Get more experience running an AR. And then consider shaving down the front sight and getting a longer tube handguard.

Thinking of going . . . wait for it . . . foliage green. What, you were expecting fuschia?

·
Premium Member
10,076 Posts
I say if you plan on shaving down the FSB, go ahead and do it now. No need to buy a handguard then do some mods to the rifle and have it rendered useless ( unless you have more than 1 rifle and it can be interchanged).

·
Les Deplorables
12,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I say if you plan on shaving down the FSB, go ahead and do it now. No need to buy a handguard then do some mods to the rifle and have it rendered useless ( unless you have more than 1 rifle and it can be interchanged).
Well, I don't know for sure that I'd shave it down, but I'm leaning that way. But maybe going to a midlength MOE handguard will be enough support arm extension for me (the trigger time I've had on an AR has been with a carbine length handguard).

If I do shave down the FSB, I'd just sell the handguard or put it on another rifle build I'm sure to have going by then.

·
I'm told I'm pretty awesome...
8,590 Posts
I buy PSA LPKs cause they are cheap. If I came across cheaper ones of par quality I'd buy them. But, then again I can't afford Carlo's rifles either;hubba

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
I've assembled several of 'em, and the only LPK that I've ever had trouble with was DPMS (out of spec sear, and wouldn't you know it... it was my first one). PSA seems to be good stuff, I've got several thousand rounds through one of them. I've got two MOE furniture sets, on of which is on my patrol rifle. MOE stuff is GTG IME, I haven't wanted to upgrade yet.

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
Ed, what LPK's do you use on your builds?
I've assembled a lot of rifles for others and a couple of my own using PSA Lower build kits and never encountered a problem. For my two main rifles.....one has LMT parts in it and the other is Spikes. I honestly think the PSA Kit without the Fire Control Group(hammer & trigger) is one of the best deals going. It allows you add a trigger of your choice and I prefer Geiselle. My lower with the highest round count uses Spikes Parts kit and CMMG 2 stage trigger. LMT supplies some if the best lower parts I have encountered...however you pretty much have to buy a LMT lower to get them. G&R Tactical puts LPK's together using high qualify parts from a few folks such as LMT. They're an excellent option when it comes to parts kits.....when he has them in stock.

Worst parts kit I've used is DPMS.....lots of broken hammer pins and roll pins that didn't fit well.

With parts kits you have to keep in mind that most are made by the same companies for all of the different manufacturers. We're talking pins and springs for the most part and its simply not cost effective to make your own when there are companies out there that specialize in making them. Biggest difference is some companies get the "First" in regards to QC standards, while others get "Seconds" and "Thirds" and so on.

·
Les Deplorables
12,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've assembled a lot of rifles for others and a couple of my own using PSA Lower build kits and never encountered a problem. For my two main rifles.....one has LMT parts in it and the other is Spikes. I honestly think the PSA Kit without the Fire Control Group(hammer & trigger) is one of the best deals going. It allows you add a trigger of your choice and I prefer Geiselle. My lower with the highest round count uses Spikes Parts kit and CMMG 2 stage trigger. LMT supplies some if the best lower parts I have encountered...however you pretty much have to buy a LMT lower to get them. G&R Tactical puts LPK's together using high qualify parts from a few folks such as LMT. They're an excellent option when it comes to parts kits.....when he has them in stock.

Worst parts kit I've used is DPMS.....lots of broken hammer pins and roll pins that didn't fit well.

With parts kits you have to keep in mind that most are made by the same companies for all of the different manufacturers. We're talking pins and springs for the most part and its simply not cost effective to make your own when there are companies out there that specialize in making them. Biggest difference is some companies get the "First" in regards to QC standards, while others get "Seconds" and "Thirds" and so on.
Thanks for the color.

With a couple of negative reports on it, seems like DPMS LPK's are definitely to be avoided. Yeah, G&R always seems to be OOS on their LPK's. Might do the PSA w/o FCG and go with an upgraded trigger. I'll have to keep an eye out for their BF sales.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.