Loyalty to LGS vs Proprietor loyalty to customer bad experience | Carolina Shooters Club

Loyalty to LGS vs Proprietor loyalty to customer bad experience

Discussion in 'Dealer & Firearm Reviews | Critiques' started by Web tobasco, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Web tobasco

Web tobasco Registered Member

First I want to be clear that I am not bragging about what I have spent at my LGS. It is necessary to understand my situation. I purchased my first weapon at my lgs in '94. In 2001 I began keeping meticulous records of all transactions whether it be accessories ,powder, projectiles or firearms. Well since 2001 I have spent well over $83k(doesn't add in the cash spent between '94-2001) at this store. good people(it seemed) hometown atmosphere etc. I went in looking to purchase a RIA 10mm. the store in question did not have it nor could they get it ordered for me. I then purchased the pistol and had it shipped to them. went to pick it up and they charged me $35 bucks ! needless to say I was quite surprised. I could see them charging me if I wasn't a regular customer and had not spent a small fortune with them in the past 14 years. I can also see them possibly charging me if they had the weapon in stock or could have ordered it for me and I then chose to get it elsewhere at a lower price but thats not the case. I think its a cheesy greedy move and extremely unappreciative of their loyal customer. I am thinking about speaking to the owner but he was present at the time of pick up. I think I will take my business my familys and my friends elsewhere and everyone I meet tell them of the bad experience. I have never had anything shipped to them in the past but I and my family,friends have spent a ton of cash in the store. So what do yall think ? Im undecided whether to name the store at this time.

2. BurnedOutGeek

BurnedOutGeek SlayerNut - RIP

I personally only know of one place that gives free transfers. Did you ask them what the transfer would cost when telling them about the incoming shipment?

shadowsbane likes this.
  3. Web tobasco

uh yep sure did and was told $25 and I was also told by one of the sales staff (hes been there 16-17 yrs) ie we probabaly wouldn't charge you anything hell you buy a lot.I think that's all missing the point if someone spends that kind of money showing his/her loyalty then they should get some kind of break in turn.

4. BurnedOutGeek

BurnedOutGeek SlayerNut - RIP

I don't disagree at all, loyalty should be rewarded. Why did they charge more upon arrival? That sounds pretty crappy for sure...

5. chiefjason

chiefjason Vendor Vendor

If I was charged more than quoted I would have asked for that salesperson or the owner.

I expect my breaks on purchases, cash purchases. But I expect to pay the transfer fee if I have something shipped in. I've been comped one transfer fee. But that was business related instead of personal so he gave me a break.

bashman and NonamehaveI like this.
  6. 613jmm

613jmm U. S. Military Club Subscribed

I would never expect a pass on a transfer fee unless it was a warranty return. Even then, I think they should get paid, but that the manufacturer should pay them, not me. A transfer is a service they are providing to you. Only an FFL can provide that service. It is the same as calling an HVAC technician or a plumber, except that you might not have to call the techs if you know what you are doing.

For a transfer, they have to process that firearm into and out of their bound book, they have to keep the record of the transaction, and they are the ones that have to endure the audits, and possible ATF query of said record. Those things take time and are not free.

I think you are simply displaying a sense of entitlement and throwing a childish tantrum doing so.

One thing I do hate, is when a shop has a policy of one fee per form. So you order four "firearms" that are all shipped together, and they try to charge you a separate fee for each one. When you remind them of their policy, the policy has been changed the next time you go to use them. That is an example of greed. They originally established the policy because they figured they were filling out one form. They probably never had anyone ship in more than one firearm, so when they do, they just realized how much money they could have made, and change the policy.

jkupp2000, ARM, Shortfuze and 3 others like this.
  7. dbracin

dbracin Active Member

An independant gun shop needs to take care of their loyal customers. Or else they will not have them.

8. NonamehaveI

NonamehaveI That guy that did that thing Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

To me, being charged $10 more than you were quoted would be an issue. But to expect the store to do a transfer for free just because you are a regular there is a little presumptuous of you. You are still using their FFL, it's not like you could have shipped it to your house, or you would have. They still have the liability of relieving that forearm and doing the required paperwork to receive it and make sure that it is properly transferred to you. I would take issue with the fact that you were charged $35 instead of the $25 you were quoted, other than that I think it sounds pretty routine.

9. Noway2

Noway2 Well-Known Member

Given how much business you've done and that they couldn't get what you wanted, waiving the transfer fee would have been a nice gesture,however it was improper of you to expect it after the fact. If you thought it would have been in order you should have discussed it with them before ordering. To bitch about it on the internet afterwards is kinda being a duche.

jkupp2000, ARM, Shortfuze and 5 others like this.
  10. fieldgrade

fieldgrade Hall of Shame

The only place I've done business that long is my favorite auto repair shop for about 25 years. About once every 5 years we disagree on a charge, hash it out and move on. I like these guys a lot, but like me, they ain't perfect.

Would I be ticked about the overcharge ($10)? Yes.

Would I move my business? Only if they dug in their heels after I pointed it out.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    BurnedOutGeek, Scsmith42 and cloud like this.
  11. Catfish

Catfish 'Murica! eh? Club Subscribed

Sounds like the coupon effect. They quoted 25 and charged 35, so you had a reason to be mad. I bet if they had quoted 35 you would not be here venting.
    My advice? Drop the issue of a freebie and chat with the owner about the $10 overcharge. Its pocket change but it ain't right

12. WNC Seabee

WNC Seabee Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

The $10 difference should have been addressed while you were there, not on the 'net afterwards. Paying a transfer fee is routine, even for good customers.

Obviously you've been treated well over the years or you wouldn't have done business there so much. Bitching about paying a transfer is petty.

13. Climberman

Climberman Well-Known Member

I agree that the $10 difference is the issue. That is what you should talk about if anything. But, you say you have been going there for all these years because of the great service. So, for $10, you are going to switch to another place with possibly bad service?

I hear Gander Mt. and Dick's are looking for customers...

jkupp2000 likes this.
  14. Hybrid Moments Pass

Hybrid Moments Pass Active Member

A little place called none of your dang business
    You were quoted a charge for having it shipped in...then why did you expect it to be free after that?
    The overcharge sucks, but if you felt that you deserved a free transfer then you should have spoken to them about it when they quoted you 25 bucks instead of telling all of us after the fact

15. Scsmith42

Scsmith42 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

One other question that has not been raised... We're all of those 83k of purchases at retail or did the store give you an extra discount? Do you always work with the same sales rep or just whomever is available? If the latter, you should start making major purchases through either the owner or their senior manager.

Personally I would not take my business elsewhere but I would take the opportunity to speak with the owner and discuss your buying history and ways to build a stronger relationship.

NoKimberDave likes this.
  16. fieldgrade

fieldgrade Hall of Shame

Sounds to me like what the sales guy said was that their standard price for a transfer is $25, but the sales guy also said that for him it would probably be free. Somewhat of an offhand comment.

I get why the OP is ticked. I just think that some hometown diplomacy is in order. Too long of a business relationship to just trash it.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    Climberman and NonamehaveI like this.
  17. Gtownwrench

Gtownwrench Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

83k and all is good. 35 dollars and "aw hell naw"...talk the owner first and for most. If nothing comes of it. So be it. Go somewhere else or stay. It's really a non issue in the grand scheme of things

jkupp2000 likes this.
  18. SPST

SPST Well-Known Member

I want to see some pictures of your $83K collection! There's got to be some eye candy in there?

19. cranbiz

cranbiz Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

My go to FFL is a personal friend of mine. I spend a lot of time with him and his wife. When I order something that he needs to enter in his book, I pay his fee. I don't question the charge. Business is business and there is a cost of doing business that the business needs to get to stay in business. Now, if he or his repredentative said $25 and I was then charged $35, I would be having a discussion with him about that. He should honor the quote.

20. Web tobasco

Well I think some ppl are missing or failing to understand I was told by a sales staff that ie; we wont charge you because you do make a lot of purchases. I have never "expected" a break on price when purchasing anything from them or anyone else but ,like most ppl I have inquired a time or two for a break on tax when buying multiple items or when I and three or four family members have purchased at the same time. Like I said I asked not always received. I don't "expect" as per defined in a previous post, anything from anyone. I have traded with this store for a long period of time. They should have honored what the sales staff told me when I inquired prior to ordering the firearm. Venting nah Im not "venting". Regardless when you have done that much business at any proprietors selling whatever then they should show you some kind of courtesy whether its a break on price or no transfer fee or a merit badge lol whatever. IM not biting the hook 613 through in the water but read my post sir. I was told prior to ordering the item that a transfer fee would not be charged to me due to my volume of business. I have seen and know as fact they have waived the fee for other customers. I have worked behind the sales counter and for any store regardless of who they are to charge a $35 trans fee is ridiculous. It takes all of 1 1/2 minutes to log the firearm and its not my or any other customers responsibility to pay forward for mistakes made in their books if the book is correct then they wouldn't "suffer" an audit. I wont be doing anymore business with them period. Entitled ? wow too many Hannity hours maybe?

21. 613jmm

$83K really isn't that much from the business side. When most "reasonably" priced dealers sell you a new handgun, they make between $25 and $45 gross profit. I know those sales involved other purchases, but let's say it was just handguns. Using $83K, and assuming $500 per handgun, that is 166 handguns over the years. Let's work on the high side and say the dealer made $50 on each sale. That is $8300. Over 21 years, that averages out to $395 a year the dealer has made on your purchases. Roughly double that, to account for the higher profit margins for the other purchases and you have grossed the dealer a whopping $800 a year. That is about $67 a month, and doesn't even pay the light bill.

jkupp2000, draco88, ARM and 2 others like this.
  22. tsconver

tsconver Sponsor Club Subscribed

You are over simplifying the process of trasnferring a firearm. It takes time to send out my FFL to the transferor, time to sign for it from the delivery company, time to log it into the AD book, time to complete the 4473 with the customer, and time to log it out of the AD book. At this point it is easily 30 to 45 min of a person's day if there are no complications. Not to mention overhead like time to file paperwork, paying for the FFL license, paying for business insurance, etc. So $25 or $35 is not at all outrageous.

jkupp2000 and cranbiz like this.
  23. SPST

SPST Well-Known Member

Just be glad you didn't transfer it at Hyatts. They charge $75!

24. 613jmm

You stated they said $25, and maybe they wouldn't even charge you. That is not telling you they won't charge you. FFL audits are routine, it doesn't matter if their books are correct. That is the purpose of the audit, to make sure they are correct. If you had a problem with the charge, you should have disputed it then and there.

You are making a big deal out of it after the fact, and wanting everyone to support you. But you are not being reasonable. Unless you happen to know or live near someone that does them for $15, $25 to $35 FFL transfer is fairly common these days. Some places try to charge $50 and sales tax on your purchase. Some places try to charge $100.

Your words and your purported actions of no longer supporting the shop is what clearly identifies you as having a sense of entitlement. That doesn't take any twisting, misconstruing, or listening to Hannity to identify.

25. cranbiz

cranbiz Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Your post said that the "probably" wouldn't charge you. That's not the same as "we won't charge you". Again,if they said no charge, I would be having a discussion with the owner.

Did you do the transfer with the employee who you originally spoke with?

If this was a relationship breaking incident, you really should of brought it up then with the owner. Did he really know what was said earlier and did he really know what was happening then? Just because he was there in the store doesn't mean he knew what was going on unless he was an active participant in the transaction. If he was an active participant, the time to speak up was then.

If you have decided to end your relationship with them, you still should speak to the owner and tell him why.

Climberman and fieldgrade like this.
  26. Hybrid Moments Pass

Hybrid Moments Pass Active Member

A little place called none of your dang business
    which is it?

Also, maybe they have been giving you a break on items in the past 14 years, we dont know, only you and them.
    But yeah, go somewhere else, as long as youre happy with where you are spending your money then go for it.

27. joebu

joebu Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I can understand your frustration and imagine I would be as well. However, I would think that after that many transactions over the years you would know the whole staff on a first name basis and their favorite thing to eat for lunch...with that kind of relationship it wouldn't be hard at all for me to call them out real quick. Good luck with resolution!

fieldgrade likes this.
  28. ForumSurfer

ForumSurfer Ar Hugger. Carpe diem per guttur . Club Subscribed

I know of one place, but I usually give the guy a ten spot or so as a tip because I'm taking up his time. I don't believe in getting something for nothing, karma is a bitch. I'd speak to the owner...$35 is high and I usually view $20 and under as acceptable. In your case, if I went to buy a particular doohickey and all they had was womblesticks, I'd give them a chance to price me a doohickey if they order it and if they can't get my doohickey, then they shouldn't charge me a full transfer fee as a repeat customer....or sell me a womblestick at a discount.

If I added up all the guns I've bought (without making deductions for selling), primers, powders, ammo, targets, reloading equipment....yeah we'd all have a high number we don't want to admit to. :)

29. knifeman32

knifeman32 Sponsor Club Subscribed

I'm staying out of this one :)

Confused, draco88, B00GER and 2 others like this.
  30. sly mcguffie

sly mcguffie Member

I've had instances at my LGS where the owner quoted me a price on something, and when I went to buy it, he was about to charge retail cost on it. I simply reminded him, and he charged what he quoted. You have to at least just bring it to someone's attention, since they may just not remember quoting the price or the person that quoted it may not have informed whomever ends up assisting you. Most LGS in my experience will do what they can to make it right, unless they are just gettin' too big for their britches.