Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I made the mistake of holding an M&P and now the bug is nibbling away. My main purpose would be another training/range/fun gun so I was looking at the 9mm pro's mainly due to the the better trigger. The 9's seem fairly scarce and the 40's more available. Then I read about the conversion barrels so I thought problem solved. Now I came across the Apex triggers and a few of their tricks and even wonder if the pro is necessary. As far as I can tell the main differences between the 2 are sights and trigger. Questions are how do they run with conversion barrels, are the Apex kits worthwhile/dependable and if you had it to do over again what would you do?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I too am considering the Apex sear replacement for my MP9C. There was a thread on the other forum comparing the Pro to the standard and the guy liked the standard better. Can't see where there would be much difference with trigger work on the standard MP versus the pro. Lawmens sells one for $398 and the other for $456, so it's probably worth buying the pro if you're thinking trigger anything.

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
i put the RAM and DCAEK in mine. the RAM made a big difference on the reset. on the DCAEK, i did not use the new trigger spring, however, to me, the pull is lighter, smoother and some what shorter.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
The best "trick" I know is to put a glock striker spring in. LOTS cheaper than the Apex stuff. It sounds dumb but it will make your trigger nicer. You can also try a reduced power glock striker spring.

I have a PRO - I'm not sure I got that much more than I would've gotten in the regular M&P, although the added sight radius is very nice.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
was that $398 for a full size 40? If so thats cheap, went looking around this afternoon and the full size 40 is going around $450 out in Wadesboro to $520 in Matthews. The same 40 pro was $560 in Wadesboro and $619 in Matthews. Guess Ill be sticking with my fav shop out east...LoL

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That might be worth the ride then. Looking @ their website it kinda gives you the feeling its L.E. only, is that so or do they sell to the public as well?

·
I'm told I'm pretty awesome...
8,590 Posts
I had a standard model and thought the trigger was fine for me. They are nice guns especially for what they cost at Lamen's.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I had a full sized M&P 45 that had excellent ergonomics. It fit my hand good (Medium strap) shot very reliably and was pretty accurate. The trigger is not the best but you can get used to it and it does it's part if you do yours.

I ended up getting rid of it because I didn't think it was different enough from my Glocks to justify having two different platforms. I know there are difference between the two but for me it wasn't enough. In my defense, I carry Glocks on and off duty and like to have similarity with my carry guns for training's sake.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input folks. Looks like I am going to hit Lawmens and give one a try. I plan on the Apex trigger just like I did to my G17/Fulcrum trigger and see which one I like better. The M&P felt much better in hand so hopefully that will translate into a slightly better shooter for me.

·
Registered
269 Posts
On my second M&P now, I've had a fullsize .45.......and now have a 357C. I love the feel of the gun, and also like the way they shoot a lot. Plus they are really easy/quick to take down to clean.......and cheap price. Got both of mine from Lawman's as well.

·
Ar Hugger. Carpe diem per guttur .
12,561 Posts
I have an m&p pro 5". I'll give you my honest opinion that will get a few flames.

The pro upgrades aren't worth the money, not even remotely. You get great sights and a factory trigger job.

The factory s&w trigger job is not much better than stock. It is pretty gritty and smooths up some with use, but it never gets smooth...at least mine hasn't yet.

Save your money and buy a standard model. Put whatever sights you prefer on it and purchase an apex duty/carry trigger job. The competition trigger job from apex is awesome, but too light for carry IMHO. Even if it costs you the same as a pro, you'll have a better trigger.

As always, though...the best modification is more money and ammo. Your mileage may vary...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Glad I got mine with the factory night sights I guess. I will say I have walked around in the house at night and practiced trying to sight things in and I'm understanding why some folks like the standard rear sight. You guys are referring to just replacing the sear block with the Apex one right? The video does illustrate how easily it's done. If not, a gunsmith in Chapel Hill quoted me $30.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.