Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...please settle an argument for me. A buddy thinks that using a Magpul PTS ACS stock is ok on a real AR and I'm doubting it is. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Vendor
8,069 Posts
Tell him this, he is right. They fit, and he can jack up any rifle he owns. Just keep his cheap hands off yours and mine.

If the $20 he saves is worth it, then he needs to save that $20. God knows he will be broke if not.

Oh, also tell him the Chinese copies support American jobs, and to vote accordingly. He will buy that also.

John

·
Registered
143 Posts
the stock doesnt save 20$ its more like 65, and they have alot of magpul airsoft stuff, most is licensed through magpul the PTS is airsoft division IIRC. to me it sounds someones mad because they paid more for their plastic.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
For the average AR owner using an airsoft stock is ok since it doesn't stand much of a chance of breaking while sitting in a corner or laying on the floor so pictures can be taken of it. When it comes to a carbine for personal protection, I wouldn't use one since they arent built to the same level as the regular Magpul line of products

·
Banned
5,029 Posts
the stock doesnt save 20$ its more like 65, and they have alot of magpul airsoft stuff, most is licensed through magpul the PTS is airsoft division IIRC. to me it sounds someones mad because they paid more for their plastic.
Either way its sub par quality and isn't made to withstand hard use. But like NC said it looks super ninja for Facebook pics.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Yikes. You're relatively new, so I guess you're not familiar with NCPatrolAR. The guy puts a LOT of rounds down range. Someone asked a question, he answered.

If you can come up with some real examples of folks successfully putting 2-3K rounds/month downrange with AR's tricked out with Airsoft-grade furniture, I might be convinced. But so far as I know, no one is actually using Airsoft parts for duty.

·
Banned
8,282 Posts
Is it just me, or is it odd to pay $600-1,000 for a rifle, then put cheap stuff on it?
If everyone felt that way, NCStar wouldn't be in business.

Saw a guy with an NCStar scope/Magpul airsoft stock at PSA a while back looking for an offset mount for his AR. The employee let him test fit the offset mount, then suggested a different red dot (to replace the NCStar scope) but the mall ninja picked up the Aimpoint and mounted it on the offset mount. So he had this huge NCStar scope, the Aimpoint mounted at 1 o'clock, and an odd assortment of lasers and lights every where else. The PSA employee looked at me in complete surprise. Let my self control out of check and I literally laughed out loud at the guy. Magpul airsoft is good to go for this type of consumer.

·
'Murica! eh?
7,479 Posts
I've always thought it was foolish to go out and spend a ton of money on top shelf items with no information or experience to back it up. When I'm on the steep part of a learning curve I tend to go cheap and change often. In this regard our resident experts and guys like the OP's friend are playing very different games and need different equipment.

I am a genuine cheap bastard but I still would not remove an original part from one of my guns and replace it with something from a toy store.

·
RWVA Instructor
2,219 Posts
Yeah, I don't get why someone would put an airsoft piece on a real firearm. But I do understand why someone would buy an expensive firearm and then put inexpensive stuff on it. Here's an example. Imagine I want a decent deer rifle. So I spend $600 or so on the rifle. And that's basically all the money I can squeeze out of the budget this year. Well, maybe I can find an extra $40 for some rings and a junky walmart scope, but I sure can't find, say, $300 for a Leupold or something like that. Maybe next year. But not now. Cheap stuff is sometimes better than no stuff.

·
Premium Member
15,599 Posts
I agree Gabe, but I think we are talking about two different scenarios. You buying a nice deer rifle and then only having a little left over to purchase something that is borderline required for the rifle is different than someone replacing a perfectly good part of the rifle with something that "looks cool" but is a cheap knock off.

A more accurate connection with your example would be you taking that $600 rifle, removing the stock and slapping it into a $40 Tapco tactical stock because you know have a pistol grip that you arguably have no real need or use for.

I fell for the "cheap crap" things a lot when I got into shooting. When I bought my AR I was so dead set on getting a red dot I ignored advice and bought a cheap NCStar like sight at a gunshow...took it home, mounted it, an had buyers remorse quicker than an Obama fan throws blame on Bush. Sold it a few days later. Ultimately, I saved up, wheeled and sealed and got a PA microdot. Still not top shelf, but in a whole nother league compared to what I had.

·
RWVA Instructor
2,219 Posts
I agree Gabe, but I think we are talking about two different scenarios. You buying a nice deer rifle and then only having a little left over to purchase something that is borderline required for the rifle is different than someone replacing a perfectly good part of the rifle with something that "looks cool" but is a cheap knock off.
Yeah, I did sorta change the subject there.

·
I'm told I'm pretty awesome...
8,590 Posts
I have compared the PTS stuff to the Normal stuff. It is much lower quality. I wouldn't have it on my AR. That said, I do have a PTS AFG on my 10/22. It doesn't fit as nice as the real one on my AR, but it was $15 and will serve its purpose.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.