Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Well I'm still testing these mags (so far, so good) so no full review yet but here's a quick overview:

Things that are different:
-New polymer material for increased strength & durability. I can't feel a difference but Magpul says it's different
-Modified external/internal geometry so they can be used in multiple platforms to include the HK416, MR556A1, SA-80, SCAR 16/16s, M27 IAR, and possibly others
-The bolt catch cutout has been re-designed for use in the weapons above
-The slide has an overtravel stop to ensure it can't go to far into the magwell which can cause issues with the bolts on non-AR rifles
-Floorplate is slimmer to allow a better fit in dual mag pouches
-dustcover doesn't clip on the bottom of the mag

Things that are the same:
-The proven stainless spring is the same
-The anti-tilt follower and curvature of the mag is the same. The follower is marked differently (see video) but is shaped the same
-Disassembly is the same; no tools required
-Still includes the dust/impact cover and it works on both the 'old' and new Gen M3

Well I'm still testing these mags (so far, so good) so no full review yet but here's a quick overview:

[span style='font-weight: bold;']Things that are different[/span]:
-New polymer material for increased strength & durability. I can't feel a difference but Magpul says it's different
-Modified external/internal geometry so they can be used in multiple platforms to include the HK416, MR556A1, SA-80, SCAR 16/16s, M27 IAR, and possibly others
-The bolt catch cutout has been re-designed for use in the weapons above
-The slide has an overtravel stop to ensure it can't go to far into the magwell which can cause issues with the bolts on non-AR rifles
-Floorplate is slimmer to allow a better fit in dual mag pouches
-Dustcover doesn't clip on the bottom; only the top

[span style='font-weight: bold;']Things that are the same[/span]:
-The proven stainless spring is the same
-The anti-tilt follower and curvature of the mag is the same. The follower is marked differently (see video) but is shaped the same
-Disassembly is the same; no tools required
-Still includes the dust/impact cover and it works on both the 'old' and new Gen M3
-Still made in the USA

Here's a video with some close ups, a bunch of additional photos at the end, and demonstrations of what I was talking about above:

Here's a video with some close ups, a bunch of additional photos at the end, and demonstrations of what I was talking about above:

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
Nice coparison pics!

Well the regular pmags work and have been proven and combat tested, for what that matters to anyone. I am hoping they mark the old pmags down at blowout prices now that they have these new mags!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
So basicly they work better with non ar platforms and fit the mall ninja mag carriers better, I don't see a reason to upgrade.

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
So basicly they work better with non ar platforms and fit the mall ninja mag carriers better, I don't see a reason to upgrade.
Not taking away from your point but not all double mag pouches are for mall ninjas.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Nice coparison pics!

Well the regular pmags work and have been proven and combat tested, for what that matters to anyone. I am hoping they mark the old pmags down at blowout prices now that they have these new mags!!!!
I ordered 5 FDE with window for $13.40 a piece from Cheaper than Dirt yesterday. They are under $11 for non-window mags.

·
I'm told I'm pretty awesome...
8,590 Posts
Loving that PMags are $9.99 all over the net now. Screw the new ones, I do'nt have a SCAR or HK416 so I don't care about them. I don't care for the windows either to be honest. If I pick it up and it's heavy, it's loaded...

·
Registered
602 Posts
I agree that the new ones don't add anything that would make me sell the PMags that I have now. I also don't like the fact that the covers can't be held on the bottom of the mag. But most of mine have Ranger plates any way. Who has the older ones for $9.99?
Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree that the new ones don't add anything that would make me sell the PMags that I have now. I also don't like the fact that the covers can't be held on the bottom of the mag. But most of mine have Ranger plates any way. Who has the older ones for $9.99?
Thanks for the review.
You're quite welcome. Just a FYI----Magpul said the ranger plates will be available for these in the spring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.