Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't take credit for this recipe, it's pulled from the Duggar Family's website. I have tried it, and am currently using it with good results. The detergent has no perfumes or dyes in it, so should work well for folks with allergies. I personally just want my clothes smelling clean when they are done, and that's the case when I use this.

Anyways, here's the link, and believe me, it's cheap. I bought two bars of the Fels-Naptha, a box of the washing soda and a box of the borax, and it was around $5 or $6 for all of it at Wal-Mart. I can make another batch with what I've got left, and if I were to buy another Fels-Naptha bar or two, I could make at least another batch or two after that.

Here you go:
http://duggarfamily.com/content/dug...dry_soap_front_or_top_load_machine_best_value

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
Made a batch about 2 months ago. Be very aware that the detergent will gel up pretty thick, that is why you cut it 50% with water when ready to use. If you keep it in the cold garage, it will go solid until it warms up.

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Made a batch about 2 months ago. Be very aware that the detergent will gel up pretty thick, that is why you cut it 50% with water when ready to use. If you keep it in the cold garage, it will go solid until it warms up.
Yep, I should've mentioned that but didn't think to. If it sets longer than overnight in the five gallon bucket, it will gel up a bit also. However, it mixes easily and can be diluted easily.

BTW, anyone local need any spare five gallon buckets for this I have a few empty sheetrock buckets with lids left in the garage.

·
Premium Member
5,265 Posts
Used the bottle that NCShooter26 let me try and it works wonderfully.

I just made my first 5 gallon batch today. Thanks Shooter.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Made a 5 gallon batch a couple months ago. Works great, didn't realize how much perfume and whatnot were in the commercial stuff until I washed a load of towels with some and the scent almost knocked me over.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.