Martial Arts? | Page 3 | Carolina Shooters Club

Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'Survival & Preparedness' started by Madmardigan, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Silver_Bullet

Silver_Bullet Staff

Off the top of my head, Chuck Liddell, Frank Mir, and Yuki Kondo originally came from Kempo backgrounds, although they expanded for MMA.

Chuck in his prime was probably one of the hardest guys in MMA to keep or get on the ground. Yuki just has a ton of MMA fights.

You'll get some good striking practice, and can pull the practical stuff out of Kempo. Good old fashioned boxing is probably the best hand striking like @NoKimberDave likes, even if they don't focus on more vulnerability for other situations. Always good to work on the hands. The Japanesse Jujutsu, (your spelling it like a Brazilian ha-ha) should give you some experience with practical throws, takedowns and td defense, joint locks and chokes if grounded, and attacks to vulnerable areas and some practical striking which you don't get as much of in BJJ.

You'll have a good base for self defense..........much better than nothing. It's addictive. Can be costly......lol.....dental work is expensive as are brakes and sprains! I've had all 3 in the past. I don't train like that anymore, family depends on me working LOL I really don't know of any Martail Arts I don't like, all have there place. Some may be more practical in today's world.

2. NoKimberDave

NoKimberDave Off to Greener Pastures Club Subscribed

Winningutsu.

3. Silver_Bullet

Silver_Bullet Staff

Here you go......y'll two can try this together. I want videos posted for progress. Get good, you can go raid Furgeson MO, pillaging , stealing, rioting and that sort of stuff is allowed there.
    http://www.hurstwic.com/shop/index.htm

4. NoKimberDave

Pillaging a sorority house is more my style. If I can stay awake.

Madmardigan likes this.
  5. Madmardigan

Madmardigan Dead and Remembering Lifetime Member

image.jpg For reference also, I'm not a 150lb guy... I'm 220lb.

So being able to handle an axe would fit...

I already wear flannels, so me walking around with an axe... No one would bat an eye.

Maybe add:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  6. Madmardigan

Kempo vs JJJ then? Lol

7. fishgutzy

fishgutzy Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I chose a do jang where I ended up training with my kids. They had a kids only class early, and all ages class after that. After a month of bringing my son at age 6, the masters started asking why I wasn't in there training too. I no good reason not to at the time.
    My kids loved getting the chance to beat up dad and not get in trouble.
    My son made black belt 6 months before I did, before his 10th birthday. 2nd dan at 11.
    It came in handy for him. When he was 7 he was the average height of a 12 year old. At 12 he was nearly 6'. There was always some kid that thought he had something to prove. And chose, only once, to prove it using my son. My son still managed to only get two play station days though. That is what I called it when he got suspended for defending himself. I told the school principals that I'd rather he come home with bruised knuckles than a broken jaw.
    Nobody ever tried to get over on him more than once.
    This is my son at age 12 breaking 4 boards with a flying side kick. 1x12, 8" cut.
    [​IMG]

8. Silver_Bullet

Silver_Bullet Staff

IDK, so many systems use the name Kempo with a basis in Kempo Karate, like Shaolin Kempo Karate, which is like a Shaolin Kung Fu based on five different animals, but also has some Jappanses influence, jujutsu and wrestling / grappling, hard striking, and angle work like Karate ect. Some cool stuff to learn, just pull the practical stuff out of all the for show that's going to be in it. Different Kempo styles differ. I'm not a huge fan from a practical self defense perspective, the way you told me it will be a mix of karate and kung-fu with grappling, sounds like you'll be working on a lot of stuff that is certainly good focus for the mind and body and stress relief, but the animal form kata's you'll be spending time on isn't likely going to help you in the street IMO, fighting like a tiger or monkey, that's training time spent else where that could help in practical defense, unless you have time and want that part of the traditional arts. I use to want that.

Japanese Jujutsu will give you real world self defense for when things get up close, and cover a lot of different situations from ground work, to being in head locks with someone punching you, someone on top of you, someone grabbing your face, grabbing you from behind, throwing and takedown defense ect ect . You may would want to seek further striking arts with just jujutsu to complete yourself. Being a 220lb guy your knees, elbows, and punches could have some serious potential power given a good instructor showing you how to use them and your practice. Muay Thai kickboxing would be awesome. Just something to think about. I've never taken it, but from observing, starting out the krav maga has a little of everything, boxing, grappling, weapon defense, attacking vulnerable areas ect, stuff I picked up separately over time. If I had no experience with the other things I've done, I think I would be considering it, knowing what I know today.

9. jayne

jayne Apprentice Goat Wrangler Club Subscribed

I've been doing Krav for 1.5 years now, and I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm not that strong or fast but I'm doing OK. Now that I'm level 2 I've started the full contact sparring and it's amazing how well the level 1 basics actually translate into usable skills at speed when just trying to defend yourself.

The only thing I'll add to this discussion is that if you're going to use any art for defensive purposes, I suggest you go to a school that includes sparring. Forms and punching/kicking bags and mitts is fun and good exercise, but nothing makes it come together like stepping into a ring and realizing the guy on the other side is going to try to kick your ass (in a nice way). Our school's "fight night" is also mixed skill and mixed gender. Obviously the better fighters work a defense game to keep from injuring the noobs like myself, but we rotate through the match and everyone fights everyone. I've told this to some people who have asked "how can you punch a girl?" to which I respond... "in the face". An opponent is an opponent, even if she is cute.

NoKimberDave likes this.
  10. NoKimberDave

But you gotta admit: it's a lot easier if she is ugly.

TSheaffer likes this.
  11. draco88

draco88 Registered Member

A mistake I made early on in my training was trying to take on too much, i.e. too many styles at once. I found myself against a wall, making little to no progress. I then backed off and concentrated on one style for about a year to solidly build my base. Then I ventured into other styles to round myself out. If you can handle training in multiple disciplines, and consistently progress, go for it. But don't be afraid to scale yourself back, if needed.

Best wishes and happy training :)

fishgutzy likes this.
  12. Madmardigan

I think I am most interested in Kempo now. Taking a tour tomorrow

13. georgel

georgel Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Mad, go to Ryan Hoover's Fit to Fight in Gastonia. He's one of the top Krav Maga guys in the country and takes a practical approach. The membership opens up all of the other disciplines they offer and you can join in classes as you like. I just got back from the intro class in Charlotte and it was as good as I had hoped. Maybe more than I had hoped, since it kicked my butt.

http://ftfcenters.com/

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  14. fishgutzy

fishgutzy Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I wish I could still train. But the risk of additional permanent injuries is far too great for me. I am unlucky enough to =be in that small number who develop degenerative osteoarthritis even after a seeming minor injury. I took a downward block from a yellow belt to the side of my foot when I was a green belt back in 2002/2003. It still hurts some days. Also had one foot surgery so far. And my left should doesn't have the range of motion for proper forms. Kind of hard to train when I can't do anything barefooted, can't do breaking or sparring, and i can't do forms without explaining why my arms are not at 180 degrees.
    But I am grateful I had the time to train with my kids and earn a second dan in Tang Soo Do.
    One good thing does come from not being able to completely straighten my arm. The arm guard I wear for archery is purely cosmetic :) The string never gets close to my arm.

15. georgel

georgel Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Don't forget, The Art of the Gun. Maybe knife too.

fishgutzy likes this.
  16. sojourner

sojourner Registered Member

Look seriously into Kempo Karate. It take the best from all the arts. Physical fitness is really high on our list.

17. Madmardigan

I went and meet with the sensei, really nice guy, he's about the whole spectrum of Karate. Seems like a nice school and stuff.

I'm going to keep looking around some, thinking about looking into Pangs Tae Kwon Do also.

With the first guys though, adult classes would be from 7pm till 8m then if I want weapon training it's from 8pm to 9pm. He also does knife and gun training.

18. zombienetwork

zombienetwork Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I have studied several diff styles over the years and honestly the instructor and their approach will have the most influence on you. A wonderful martial style can be totally neqated by an instructor that has qone corporate.

For totally practical purposes hard to beat krav maqa as it has not been converted to a safe sport yet. Of course it is not as intense as the version tauqht to the Israelis in the military but that only makes sense.

On that same note an old school karate teacher will turn out some very capable fiqhters same as an old school boxinq coach can. Same with real world wrestlers and submission styles.

The injury factor def affects us more as we aqe...it is harder to study some of the throwinq art such as Japanese jj, judo and aikido as the fallinq takes a toll on you.

If I had to pick one it could come down to krav maqa or thai boxinq...both are destructive and teach close ranqe fiqhtin where thinqs tend to be dirty. I would bump up the Filipino arts or Indonesian arts but they are few and far between on the east coast..they often combine hand, knife and stick fiqhtin but schools are hard to find.