"Mini Beast" Roars | Carolina Shooters Club

"Mini Beast" Roars

Discussion in 'Handguns, Pistol Shooting' started by tred1956, Apr 3, 2020.

1. tred1956

tred1956 Registered Member

Finally got around to shooting the "Mini Beast" today. Only played at about 30 yards and it grouped real well. If you take out the vertical stringing which I am sure was MY FAULT, it did about 3/4 inch. Been shooting the 20, 22, & 17 calibers so much lately it is going to take Me a little while to remember "to forget the recoil". Not near as much fun as it used to be. The frame is an easy open with about a 14 ounce trigger, does have a little amount of creep, but I will fix that soon. Barrel is 10 inch bull with a deep black finish by Gary Reeder chambered in 41 GNR. Base is a Warne Gloss with Burris Gloss signature rings. Scope is Old School US made Gloss Burris 2-7. Grip is Pachmayr decelerator and the Forearm is a walnut (NOT FROM MY DADS BOARD) Dave Dolin, but it is coated with black Dupli-Color Aerosol bed liner to match the Pachy Grip. Not perfect but I think it is a super idea. Wish I could take credit for it but my son in law Alan Gipson came up with this. Told him I liked it so well that I may even tell my Daughter to keep Him LOL. Had forgot how GREAT a Gloss set up looked, and how hard it is to find all the components. Only shot about 20 rounds to sight in the scope. Once my Nerves calm down (Must forget recoil) we will see what it will really do.
    Brass was easy to form and I do love a 41 caliber. Will post targets on next outing, but here a are a couple of pictures of the Mini Beast:
    Thanks for reading
    Doug
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SkydivnShooter likes this.
  2. gemihur

gemihur Registered Member

Doug,
    I am constantly amazed with your contenders.
    Reeder designs definitely provide options well beyond Walmart ammo.
    Seems like I stay in your dust ...
    Here's a couple I've groomed with some new lumber.
    I calls 'em "the Maximum & the Minimum", as big game laws in VA dictate a '23 cal or better' policy
    max and min 2.jpg
    They are 444 Marlin and 6x45, both are 14" SSK barrels

3. tred1956

tred1956 Registered Member

Nice rigs!!!! My first custom was a 375 JDJ from SSK. I gave it to my son when he graduated school. Of all the barrels I have owned in the last 40 years, and that has been well over a 100, I have never owned a 6mm. I shoot the sub calibers 22,20 & 17 a LOT now, just because I don't enjoy the recoil near as much as I used to. LOL I do keep a couple of Hard hitters just in case. I have the Mini Beast above and its big brother a 445 Super Mag. Also have a 6.5 BullBerry if I want to hunt at longer ranges. I prefer the Wildcats based on 30/30, not that they are any better just have access to TONS of brass and Don't get upset if I waste a few while going through the learning curve of forming brass.

Your 444 Marlin takes me down memory lane. WAAAAAAY back in the day we decided we were going to have a 10 inch 44 mag punched out to 444. So we packed it up and sent it to JD. It was Factory all the way. No scope and standard factory Contender Wood. Very Light. We grinned when it returned That was until we PULLED the trigger on factory 444 Ammo WOW. That is the ONLY Contender I have ever owned that HURT to pull the trigger LOL (I can still feel it when I close MY EYES and Think about it)

Enjoy your Contenders (VERY NICE)
    Safe shooting
    Doug

4. gemihur

gemihur Registered Member

Thanks, Doug.
    I've had a couple 444's and have never fired a factory round.
    Too much apprehension from seeing catastrophic failure of a Bellm barrel years back.
    I've worked up to a gentle load, comparable to a Tyson punch, of 20 gr. Blue dot behind a 180 gr SJHP.
    Thank you for your references, I've probably got a lot yet to learn from guys like you and they're experiences.
    Keep showing your stuff, I am always in awe.
    Thanks,
    Jimmy