Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She had square cut legs, so a marked them parallel with the top of the bowl using a piece of 1.5" square tubing and a flat piece of soapstone.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Hand Finger Wood Nail Thumb

Then I cut on the mark with a plasma torch.
Light Welder Lighting Welding Fireworks

Then I marked the center of the bottom and cut a 1.5" hole and welded on a short pipe nipple for a drain with a threaded cap to close it off.
Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part Metal

Attachments

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also "finished" welding the legs to the bowl. There was plenty of weld there, but I finished welding it for added strength.

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts
Show off!!!! I can tell you haven't had a fire in it yet 'cause the paint hasn't popped!!

I plan to repaint mine today unless I forget.

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Show off!!!! I can tell you haven't had a fire in it yet 'cause the paint hasn't popped!!

I plan to repaint mine today unless I forget.
Hehehehe! I hope to burn it today....just to get the paint off of it.
Bottom plates for the legs are tacked on now...time to work on the grate, a pan for it to sit in, then a lid!

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts
That drain can also double as an air hole if you was to have trouble getting one going!
Actually they don't need it for air as they are large enough in diameter to draw just fine. However..... they do get some really strange swirling patterns as the fire burns.I guess because of the rounded sides?????

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm calling it done!

Made a split grill top for it, half has 1/2" stainless expanded metal for steaks and such, other half has perforated stainless for hamburgers and things that don't fair well on the expanded.
Frame is 1/4" x 1.5" stainless flat bar.

Grille Electronic instrument Audio equipment Line Gas
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Grille
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar Working animal

Attachments

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually I'm not done yet...gotta weld some decent handles on the "stops" on the grill tops.

·
Vendor
1,317 Posts
No a good breed for marbleing in the cut either. Awesome as pets though.

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright, I'll be the first to ask. How much for an insert like that Larry? LOL!
For you...I'll do material cost and no labor charge...just cuz you're pics inspired my purchase. Ya gotta have the pin hinge plates welded on though. I'd need the inside diameter of your bowl. Made mine a loose fit.
Steel would be cheaper but not last as long as the stainless.

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No kidding. Damn Larry that is some fine looking craftsmanship. I envy people that can do that with metal.

I'm a wiz with wood but something tells me I couldn't grill for long on a wooden Grill.
Fairly simple build...it's having the fab equipment that makes it easy. All I can say about my carpentry skills is...thank God T-1-11 and drywall covers up my crappy framing skills. :)

·
Premium Member
6,305 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.