Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
Haven't used those, but I have made my own. So far, only for ammo and handguns, and I haven't checked them at all since I buried them. I do plan to make some out of larger diameter PVC for long guns.

·
Banned
13,863 Posts
OK, I have gotten all my pricing together. The bottom line is, there is no way to make these for less money. However, I don't trust that thin wall stuff and the light weight caps that those mono vaults are made of. I just don't think they will hold up long term.

I have all my pricing back to make these out of solid (not foam core) schedule 40 pvc, with one glue welded cap and then a female receiver cleanout and plug on the other end. Some pipe dope on the threads and these things will hold up to a tank driving over them and not break down or leak. If anybody wants one, get with me by text or PM. I have to buy enough to make 5 at a time to get this price and I only need one.

I only have a couple of bucks tacked on to pay for the glue and pipe dope and the hour or so labor it will take to make each one.

8 inch diameter pipe, 48 inch long tube = $200.00 (add $10.00 per foot for longer and of course subtract $10.00 per foot for shorter)

10 inch diameter pipe, 48 inch long tube = $375.00 (add $15.00 per foot for longer and of course subtract $15.00 per foot for shorter)

The expensive part of these things are the caps. In the 10" the schedule 40 weld cap is over $50.00 and the clean out cap kit is damn near $240.00.

·
Banned
13,863 Posts
I'll do that.

I've been checking at PSI.

The other nice thing about the ABS is that it will be black in stead of white. That doesn't matter when it's buried but some folks have to have tacticool.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I haven't used one of those but the last construction company I worked for, we buried a time capsule for the Rex Medical building in Knightdale. We use a 3' piece of 12" PVC with screw on caps. I'd like to see how it holds up through the years. Rex admins said they plan on digging it up in 15 years. We buried in March of 2009 so we got a little more than 12 years to wait lol.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I looked at buying 12" in the schedule 40 PVC. Good lord that was high. The screw cap alone was over $400.
Damn, I didn't know that stuff was that high. Rex has plenty of money though, they're part of the UNC Hospitals. So close to $1000 capsule with $20 worth of crap in it LOL. They put some pics in there and some other construction and ground breaking stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
Has anyone thought about adding pressure to it?
Could add a tire valve or something like that to add pressure to make the chance of a water leak less.
I have tested a few things. Have had real good luck with a food vac packer. Give the gun a good coat of spray oil and put it in the 12" roll stuff, vac and seal. Then reseal it in a second bag.
It will hold up to about any water, weather change, and most temp range.
As for the tube, I have used a few 8" with glued caps. Used paper as a test in a 2' section, dug a hole, place it in hole on end and cover. Tested for ease of use and dry. Worked great.
Doing this, it's for long storage, you bust the end cap to get in, a hammer or just about anything can be used.
If you want to re use, cut the cap off. Just use a new cap, your tube will now be 3" or so shorter.
IF you are talking about wanting to store an AR and ammo, you can take the grip off to cut down on the size of pipe a bunch. Just tape the tool needed to the grip. I would also use a short safety spring and tap the hole to add a small allen screw. That way you don't need to worry about the spring.

·
Banned
10,056 Posts
I would think that air pressure would also add buoyancy which could make the tube rise out of the ground in a rain.
Buoyancy based on displacement and is a product of the volume of air contained, not the pressure.

If the tube is buried vertically, it will act similar to an uplift pile, meaning the skin friction developed on the outside surfaces will be enough to keep it from floating out of the ground. Compacting the soil tightly around the outside of the tube will give the greatest amount of resistance possible.

For example: An empty 10" diameter pipe 4' long displaces 2.2 cubic feet of whatever it's immersed in. Let's use water, since water provides essentially no resistance to uplift. Doing the math...it requires only 136 pounds of force to sink the tube. Adding ballast, like the weigh of the pipe itself and any contents, means the 136 lb is more realistically around 120 lb or so. So, even in a soil that is completely saturated to the point that you'd lose support, it takes very little weigh to keep the pipe in the ground.

[/enginerd mode off]

Having said all that, I wouldn't bury a tube inside the high tide line at the beach.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.