Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Mosin Nagant 91/30 7.62x54r. The condition is overall good. The bore is a bit frosty but rifleing is excellent, and theres no pitting. I was thinking of sporterizing it. ( heavy barrel, wood stock, some action work ). I found a gunsmith thats willing to do the work, im just not sure about all the details to add. Any Ideas?

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
;tequilla.

And another one bites the dust!

G

·
I was about to say we have a military section and this needs to be posted in there...

But seeing as how its about destroying a piece of history this section can have it.
I always suggest finding a pre sportered mosin, they are plentiful and cheap.

In the end its your gun and your decision.

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
If it is for hunting, buy a bolt action hunting rifle such as a Savage. It will be far more accurate and you will probably spend about the same amount of money. :D

·
Banned
41 Posts
Pics of rifle pleae. That way I will know if I want to talk you out of it.

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
I have had my eye on a used Savage 30-06 pre acutrigger for around $300 at a local shop. This project is for fun. Just to see what i can make of it.
It is what it is, you cant make much more out of it unless you want to also hand reload 7.62x54r. That heavy barrel isn't going to make but a little difference with surplus 7.62 or Even New Russian 7.62. Get the savage, and enjoy the Mosin like it is. If your wanting a project to make a sub moa rifle with heavy barrel start with a savage, howa 1500, or remington 700 action in 260rem, 6.5gren, 308 or many other options and go from there with a heavy barrel, upgraded trigger and stock bedding. Pouring that much money into the mosin will just be a waist and will actually not increase value when you go to sell it. You will have $400 more counting time and still have a $130 dollar gun. Put 400 dollars into a 400-500 dollar gun and you will be hitting on something worth spending your money on :D

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I have a mosin. It has had the following, barrel cut down to 22", nuzzle break, custom bolt, full floated barrel, target trigger, Leopold scope rings, and a moded ati scope mount. Way too much money but its mine. And it shoots great!

Dale

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
Don't listen to them unless it's a rare version. Have fun learn something realize it will still be a mosin but customized the way you like it for you not them. I hate to see something rare cut up but if it's just another one of the same go for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.