Moving from SC to NC; transferring CWP | Carolina Shooters Club

Moving from SC to NC; transferring CWP

Discussion in 'Concealed Carry | National 2A Laws' started by DKnoch, Apr 13, 2021.

1. DKnoch

DKnoch Registered Member

Hello,
    I’ve had my CWP in South Carolina for several years now and am about to move to NC. Has anyone been through this process recently that can tell me how long it takes to get my NC CWP (or CCW whatever you would like to call it)? I know there’s reciprocity, so I can carry in NC currently, but will I lose that privilege when I move, until I can get my NC permit in hand? I’m going to call the Brunswick County Sheriffs Dept, but figured someone may be able to give me firsthand experience of the process here as well. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. SkydivnShooter

SkydivnShooter Staff Member Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

The word "residence" plays a huge part in the way laws are written. When you move your residence from SC to NC, you legally become an NC resident and must abide by the NC laws.

With that, in my opinion, after 30 days, you will need to successfully take and pass the NCCCH - North Carolina Concealed Carry Handgun class and make application for an NCCCH permit in the county in which you reside.

Please report back as to what the BCSD advises

3. 1up

1up Registered Member

I've heard that brunswick has times of way more than 90 days