Moving to NC from MI | Carolina Shooters Club

Moving to NC from MI

Discussion in 'Handguns, Pistol Shooting' started by Patriot556, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Patriot556

Patriot556 Registered Member

Hey All! First post! Glad to be here. Seems like NC has some great communities for Gun owners compared to MI!

First of all... To get the yankee jokes out of the way, most of my family has resided down south for the majority of their lives... And I am a Proud Patriot who loves God, Freedom, Family, and Guns!

Glad to be escaping Whitlers Tyranny! :);)

I am pretty sure I have found the answers i am looking for BUT to confirm:

Questions:
    1. Do I need to do anything with regarding registration of purchase permits for my handguns when moving into NC (Iredell County)? (I believe the answer is NO). IE. In Michigan even if i move to a different COUNTY i have to transfer my purchase permit records with the new county sheriff where i reside! (Yes even as CPL holder!) :mad:

2. I have Valid Michigan CPL and the process for transfer looks pretty straight forward (after 30 days?). Anything i should keep an eye out for?

3. Is #1 still a "NO" if I wasnt a CPL holder/did not transfer immediately?

4. Are there any timing requirements on filing transfers/paperwork (if YES*)?

My assumption is as long as I follow state transfer laws when driving them down I do not have do anything with paperwork/local law enforcement when i get there? Correct?

You are all probably thinking these questions are crazy... coming from MI law chaos, not so much ;)

Thanks in advanced, and really glad to be moving to where my Family is as well as to a "free state".

P.S.... Hope you guys voting in REP gov! :)

-Patriot556

2. copdills

copdills Registered Member

welcome I hope you like it here

3. G4G19Goat

G4G19Goat Registered Member

Welcome to NC man! Hope we can get the cowardly Cooper out of office ASAP plus keep Trump in the White House!!! You’re going to love it here (for the most part lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. SkydivnShooter

SkydivnShooter Staff Member Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Welcome Patriot556. Glad you found your way here.

5. fochman

fochman Registered Member

Welcome from York County, South Carolina!

6. FINO

FINO Registered Member

n c has no registration for fire arms. as long as the states you pass through recognizes your ccw you should have no trouble. do not depend on my or others opinions as being true.I would check the check the n c laws on line and the laws of states you will pass through to be sure of not falling through a crack. I do not regret escaping from a commie state to N C myself, you will be treated at least as well as you treat others in most of N C 'welcome'

Sevenshot likes this.
  7. FINO

FINO Registered Member

a pistol purchase permit or the possession of a N C chp , either of which can only be had by dealing with your county sheriff to purchase most if not all fire arms in this state legally

8. Patriot556

Thanks guys! Glad to be moving to a free state among good peoples!

Maybe I didnt make myself clear. Not looking to purchase just bringing my OWNED handguns (from MI) with me into NC. This does not require any paperwork, correct?

9. XD40Serv

XD40Serv Registered Member

Correct.

10. Patriot556

Great Thanks!

Excited to be here.

11. johnp

johnp Registered Member

What part of our great state are you moving to?

12. 98cwitr

98cwitr Registered Member

Sounds like you're coming to the right place. Everytime I see a thread like this I do click it to see if anyone's bringing more dumb ideas to NC. Thankfully, you're not! Enjoy the BBQ!

Answers best I know:

1. No.

2. Not sure I'm following what you mean by "transfer". Your CPL will be valid here in NC while you apply for your new one as long as you do so after 30 days and before it expires. Are you familiar with the process for getting a CHP in NC?

3. Yep

4. n/a

If you have any NFA items, I think you have a form to fill out there to let the ATF know you're moving (and traveling across state lines with your "firearm").

This is the form and it must be complete before moving: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/f...ily-export-certain-national-firearms/download

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  13. Jmoser

Jmoser Registered Member

Moved from MI a year ago - once you get past the summer heat you will enjoy the winters here!
    Cant help with the legal issues as I am in Rock Hill SC but welcome.

Happy to be out of there with Whitmer and the AG . . . scary.