Musings on the 45 Wheelgun.... | Carolina Shooters Club

Musings on the 45 Wheelgun....

Discussion in 'Revolvers - all things wheelgun related' started by GregB72, Jul 20, 2016.

1. GregB72

GregB72 Registered Member

Over the years I've owned a number of 45 wheelguns. What started it was shooting a friends 3" S&W 625 many moons ago. Here's what I've owned so far in no particular order:

Taurus Tracker's 2" 45LC and 45ACP both ported and unported. 3 or 4 total.
    S&W 625-10. A Lew Horton gun with a 6 shot cylinder @1.7" barrel, scandium frame.
    S&W Governor
    S&W 25 3". Lew Horton gun with 3" barrel, round butt, blued, with lock.
    Ruger Redhawk in 45ACP/45Colt with 4.2" barrel

The Taurus' were surprising comfortable to shoot, I think it was a combo of the weight (@30oz), porting, and the good grips.

The Governor wasn't painful with 45ACP or 45 Colt, however with the 410, @ 6 rounds was enough at one time. I almost always shot the 410 first then the 45acp or Colt, so maybe it was all relative.

The 625-10 was the most painful handgun to shoot I've ever owned. Given I've never fired a 454, 460, or 500, however I have fired fullsized 44's and this was much, much worse. I have friends that shot it and agree. Itwas light, @21oz I think. I miss it, in theory.

The 25" 3" hurts my hand even with Pachymayr grips. It's an all steel gun and this baffles me. A cylinder or two and I'm good. I have a friend or two who've shot it and agree that it's "no fun" to shoot. This surprised me, being that it's an all steel gun

The Ruger Redhawk is the newest and my favorite so far. Even with the stock wood grips, it's not uncomfortable to shoot. I put @140 rounds through it in a single range session earlier this week. Most 45acp with a couple fo 45LC I had in the bag.

I suspect that perceived recoil has something to do with the grip angles and my hand, especially on the Model 25. I also wonder about barrel length's effect on perceived recoil.

Please share your experiences........

GregB

P.S. Here's pics of my current favorite:)

Attached Files:

majdurham likes this.
  2. WNC Seabee

WNC Seabee Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

I've had a 3", 4" and 5" S&W 625 in .45ACP.

The 3" didn't do it for me, too much muzzle flip and loss of velocity without any perceivable advantage in handling.
    The 5" was by far the most accurate revolver I've ever shot and very comfortable to shoot with hogue monogrips.
    The 4" is the sweet spot (for me) of accuracy and handling. I absolutely love the thing.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Soft 45acp reloads are a joy to shoot in a revo. Factory ammo, not so much.

Shorty 45 MK2 likes this.
  4. gj10

gj10 Member

I have this love hat relationship with 45acp revolvers. I like the idea, 45acp, moon clips, half moon clips, quarter moon clips or auto rim. Manufacturers either make a full size frame, a dream to shoot, but mildly expensive ($700 - $900) gun - or - Manufacturers make a "carry" model that is light, snappy, low production numbers and very expensive $900 and up).

Got to shoot a friends S&W Model 325 Nightguard, great size, like WNC Seabee wrote, too light, too snappy not great ballistics.
    Same friend has a Colt Model 1917, Wow! 5.5 inch barrel and silky smooth trigger. Heavy as all get out, but nice. I imagine the S&W version is just as nice.

Every now and then I contemplate trying to find a 45 acp revolver for carry, it never works out. Perhaps this platform and or size is best left to range and competition use. Thoughts?

5. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Registered Member

This... i have had the 5" full lug and they are the mildest. For me the I have Thunder ranch 22's and a 625 4" non lug are my go to. Cant beet a shooter 1917 either if you find one on the dirty. Both of mine shoot and handle well. As it is stated here above light weight short barrels like the 325 are Bucky. hand loading 185 lead SWC with HP-38 are easy shooting even one handed in standard weight guns.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  6. charlie

charlie Registered Member

I don't yet have a double action that shoots 45 ACP but do have a Blackhawk with 45 ACP and 45 Colt cylinders. I have tried the 45 ACP cylinder several times but could not warm up to it because of the uncertainty that the thing would fire or that the cylinder would rotate. The fact that it headspaces on the case mouth requires very careful choice of cases to use in it. I have had the same problem with a Blackhawk in 30 Carbine.

I imagine having a double action revolver in which you could use moon clips would solve that problem except for overly long cases.

I put back in the 45 Colt cylinder.

7. Shorty 45 MK2

Shorty 45 MK2 Registered Member

My current favorite that actually gets a good bit of carry time in "cool" weather or when I can dress around it. (Although it's normally in a Galco summer comfort IWB.)

S&W Model 22-4
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  8. GregB72

GregB72 Registered Member

Nice....

9. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Registered Member

Nice shorty, I liked my 20160816_212701.jpg so much I got back up. (The other is a 625 Performance Center).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  10. carolina sorillo

carolina sorillo Registered Member

I don't know how I missed this thread!!

I've had several .45 revolvers some have come and gone, some are sorely missed, others have hung around and will be left for the kids.

I've had several Vaquero's all old model's with the big frame(still got 2 3.75" and 4.625"), a 450 Taurus non-Titanium(gone, missed it for a while), Smith 22-4 Thunder Ranch(by far the smoothest, nicest revolver I've ever had, still miss it, but no real "need"), Charter Arms Pitbull(cured the ache of the missing Taurus, now my EDC love the size and weight of it and don't feel under gunned with 5 185gr XTP'S that chrono'ed just under 900fps from it).

Currently, there's just the 2 Vaquero's and the Pitbull. The 2 Vaquero's are .45 Colt but I bought an extra cylinder off Ebay years ago that fits the 3.75". I sent it to TK Customs and had it reamed to accept ACP moonclips. So the 4.625" Vaquero is .45Colt, the 3.75" is Colt/ACP the 2" Pitbull is ACP. There's also a Marlin 1894CB and an FNX45 but, this thread is jut about the revolvers.

I don't shoot factory ammo so I can't comment on the recoil of it. But, I can tell you both the Vaquero's dance a jig when you touch off 18gr 2400 behind a 255gr lead rnfp. However, 5.7gr of Unique under a 200gr lead rnfp in a Schofield case will leave you grinning like a possum puttin' on the dogs!! The Pitbull is a little snappy with the 900fps 185gr XTP's but not uncomfortable.

C.S.

majdurham and Shorty 45 MK2 like this.
  11. jlowe0809

jlowe0809 Registered Member

S&W 625-8JM chambered in 45acp w/ a 4" barrel

Jerry Miculek edition
    IMG_8558 copy.jpg

Wheelgun_Man and Slacker like this.
  12. Ben W.

Ben W. Registered Member

I've had a number of .45 revolvers over the years, including a Uberti, and a number of Rugers in .45 Colt/.45 Auto convertibles, both large and "smaller" frame (full size Blackhawk and New Vaquero/Flattop configurations). I don't load my .45 Colt to high levels; I use the .44 Mag for that. In all my convertibles both cartridges are pussycats, and very pleasant to shoot. My S&W 25-5 is in a class of it's own and a joy to shoot. I've never had any issues whatsoever with .45 revolvers, but some of those .44 Mags... wow!!!

jlowe0809 likes this.