My 1000 for under $1000 project | Carolina Shooters Club

My 1000 for under $1000 project

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by foresteronw, Feb 6, 2013.

1. foresteronw

foresteronw Registered Member

I've wanted to get into long range shooting for a while but for some reason it just never worked out. I decided recently to get it going though and came up with an idea. The project is called 1000 yards for under $1000. Here are the details:

I want to be able to build a platform that allows me to get on paper at 1000 yards and spend under $1000 on this platform. When I say "on paper" I mean an 18" by 18" square. If I can do better than that then that's just a bonus. If I can achieve this then upgrades and practice will get it even closer.

As far as my long range shooting experience goes I've shot 500 yards with open sights with an M16 and 600 yards with open sights with an M14 when I was in the USMC. Shooting with a scope will be new to me though.

Now...for the goods:

Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308 - Lightly used with bipod $500
    Barska Swat Extreme Scope - $150 (I know not my best option but got a great deal on it from a friend)
    Weaver 1 piece scope mount - $45
    Cleaning kit including bore saver - $65
    100 rounds of FMJ 165g surplus ammo $75
    Total - $835.00

Remaining - $165.00

So the remaining $165.00 will go towards range time and better ammunition. The range near me goes out to 500 yards max. I will use this range to get the rifle zeroed in and work from 100 yards out to 500 yards. A friend of mine has land that goes out to well over 1,000 yards and that's where I will go after the range...which means no range fees.

My main concerns:

1. The rifle - Can the rifle hit 1,000 yards in stock form as is with the factory stock.
    2. Me - Since I have no experience with scope shooting can I do it without any outside training?
    3. Time vs Money - Will the 100 rounds plus whatever I can buy with the remaining money be enough to get me to my goal? Keep in mind I'm not worried about a group at this point, just to get on paper.
    4. The scope - I've been told these scopes can walk, so that is a concern.

Here is a picture of the setup. The scope still needs to be leveled but once that's done I will start shooting:

Sorry about the picture, it's from a cell phone:
    [​IMG]

2. Charles

Charles Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Very first thing I would do.. get some much lower rings and get that scope closer to bore centerline. Weaver Quadlocks are cheap, and highly underrated IMO for a budget build.

3. foresteronw

Yeah that's one thing I was considering. The rings that are on there came with the scope.

4. Wahoo95

Wahoo95 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Sell the Barska and put the funds with the remaining $165 for a better optic....SWFA Super Sniper & Weaver Grand Slam Tactical are both in the $300 range and much better glass than that Barska without breaking the bank.

5. Charles

Charles Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

+1 for the SWFA SS. I believe TacShooter has one in the BST right now for around $260.. 20x42 fixed 20x power.

6. trcubed

trcubed well...bye Lifetime Member

7. foresteronw

The rifle actually came with a dnz mount but it has 1" rings and really limited the scopes.

8. Remshooter

Remshooter Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Dednutz is good stuff. I have slowly converted almost all my mounts over to them. Well made and from NC.

9. DirtySCREW

DirtySCREW Member

+1!!!!!!!!!!

get lower rings as others have suggested. get better glass. SWFA has Nikon Monarchs on sale with $100 instant off. They have a Nikon Monarch 5-20x44 for $319!!

DS

10. hgsr

hgsr Registered Member

reading this was a deciding factor on buying a DNZ mount, ill stay tuned to see how thing turn out.

11. M40x

M40x Mall Ninja

+2 for deadnutz also i have a 30mm deadnutz ill trade for your 1inch if interested for free so then you wont have to spend any$$$ and you can have the world of large tube opened to you ps i think those rings your using are see through rings for a shotgun :)

12. Luigi

Luigi Registered Member

If you're serious about 1000 yard shooting at some point in time, you may want to check that whatever scope/mounts you end up with are capable of the range of elevation adjustment you may need to compensate for drop at 1000 yards.

I don't do that kind of shooting, but I recall reading that you may need mounts that take this into consideration.

13. jb2sea

jb2sea Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I'm thinking of doing the same sort of thing. But I think I'm going to limit myself to 500 yards. There are just so few places around here where you can shoot even 500 yards. I'll probably hit that same 500 yd range you're talking about (between Havelock and Beaufort?) myself next week.

No experience with long range shooting (my range only goes to 200 yards, which is why I want to get down to the 500 yard range), but it sounds fun. I've been reading up on it quite a bit. Sure sounds like if you have a solid mount (as the advice here is saying), and if you do your part, you should have no problem hitting 18X18" at 1000, once it's sighted in well at 500 yds.

To the experienced guys here, what group size would I need to be getting at 500 yds, to be on 18x18" paper at 1000 yds.?? As far as accuracy of the setup. I guess it's caliber dependent, as the drop is alot different by caliber, as is the wind deflection. I'm still debating between .243 and .260. Leaning to .243 since it's alot cheaper and 500 yds is likely all I'll ever shoot. And .243 should do OK for 1000yds with heavier bullets, if I ever decided to try 1000 yds.

14. shrompman420

shrompman420 Registered Member

well i say you have a hill to climb. i have had several r700's in long and short actions. so i would hit the range at 100 yards,zero and shot 5 3 round strings. at 3 inch targets. this will let you know if your Remington was made on a Monday or Friday, and give you a good starting point for how this rifle shots. i have seen those come from the factory shooting sub moa all the way up to 3 moa at 100 yards. so set a baseline and see if this r700 is up to the task.(95% of them are). SELL THE BARSKA AND BUY A SWFA SS. i run a fixed 16 power x 42 on my lr rig. should have plenty of adjustment. also if you buy another scope make sure your reticle and turrets are the same,moa/moa,mil/mil. like the other guys suggested get lower rings so your scope doesn't have to work as hard. do you plan on bench rest,prone,free hand, from a bag, bipod. all of these things will affect your point of impact at 1000 yards. on mounts, i like the 20 moa mounts. if your trying at 1000 yards it might behoove you to get one, that's 20 moa that doesn't have to come out of your scope.
    this is just what i have learned i hope it helps.

15. pirate

pirate Ad Victoriam Club Subscribed

Good luck to ya!

16. dbarale

dbarale Registered Member

.... and post the results.

17. dlee12

dlee12 Member

I'm originally from down that way, and I have a couple places you may be able to stretch it out to 1000 yards plus. Send me a PM with your number and I can give you a call next time we go down. We try to get down there every couple of months or so.

18. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Registered Member

For 1000 yd you will most likely need a 20MOA scope base to get enough elevation. Weaver also makes a good one for this purpose and not too costly.

19. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Registered Member

The scope is going to be an issue. Have you verified the amount of travel the scope has? I don't specifically know about Barskas, but high mag scopes with 1/8 clicks typically don't have much travel. You would be using hold overs. Not exactly ideal for 1000yd shots. You would have to toy with the scope you have to see if clicks are repeatable, if the scope actually functions (I/ve seen cheap scopes move left or right as elevation is changed).

Most people use 20moa bases + scopes that have a lot of internal travel to start with. The SWFA SS do have the travel needed (although after owning several not a scope I would recommend), depending on the individual scope have so much travel a cant base may not be needed. The Nikon recommended in thread does not have enough travel (34moa). A bushnell 10x 3200 Tactical would also work at around $200, no AO but features and glass clarity are similar to the SS. The Mueller APT 4-14 is fairly close glass wise also, I think mine have around 56moa of travel, so you would be good with a 20moa base or rings.

If I had to do your project on same budget, I think I would look for a aac-sd takeoff stock, replace scope with mueller 4-14 apt or bushnell 10x tac, and 20moa rings (or a 20moa base and weaver or SS rings).

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013