Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That was a simple and successful hunt. Guess it was meant to be. My biggest deer to date. Pretty sweet!!

Here was my set up. Lying Prone :)

Deer ran about 100 yards before piling up :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Good job. I killed the smallest deer I have shot in 20 years yesterday.
The dumb must die young. Silly bitch ran out of the weeds and stopped 50 yeards in front of me, squatted, pissed then stared at me like a lost dog.
SHEPOW_WOW! nuthing but neck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice deer! Cool setup too :). I hope I can get some hunting in this season. It might be my first if I can. It might not work out though. I just dont have the hunting connections here. The only famliy I have that hunts just moved up there to nc and I dont have the cash to have an out of state liscense as well as the sc liscense I have now haha. Im not entirely comfortable heading into the woods alone either. I have pretty much zero experience. Oh well. Great kill though! Should taste delicious! :)

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
Great job.... Where you hunting? Looks like one of the places I hunted in the past. Would find a spot to hunt on a stump.
Some of the most fun hunting, just a light, gun, camo, and a stump. Sit down and wait.....

I got one yesterday also. Just a little Cow horn with the 300blk. 20 yard DRT

·
Banned
10,056 Posts
Great job.... Where you hunting? Looks like one of the places I hunted in the past. Would find a spot to hunt on a stump.
Some of the most fun hunting, just a light, gun, camo, and a stump. Sit down and wait.....

Is that an albino or just the camera?

·
Registered
816 Posts

SUB or Super?

Black tip?
howd it perform inside?

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
I was using hand loads, 556 cut cases, Nolser 125 green tip hunters, 19.8 odd grans of aa1680 about 2000 fps.
This is the 5th deer to full or more, all DRT, head or neck.
This one was looking at me feeding. never had anything but a head on shot.
He put his head in the corn I took aim 3 odd inches behind the top of head, in and out. in, being a small hole, out about 1-2".
Broke everything in the neck blew a hole in the ground, and turned the neck to jello.

Others were all the same in and out shots.
Have not had the time to load my black tips yet but I plan a load of 20 gn 1680 with the barnes black tip.
Slower then it could be but I don't want to change the powder.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
TC Shockwave. Held together pretty good to me. Didn't fragment or over penetrate. I was happy.
I tried the shockwaves, Hornady SST's and Barnes Spitfires. The Spitfires grouped the best in my rifle so that is what I've shot. I've killed two deer, a doe last year and a spike buck a few weeks ago in the ML season opener. Both bullets looked like this:

And they both hit bone!

I was sort of surprised when I saw the bullet your were holding. No problem though, as long as it held together and the deer is dead the bullet did its job! I think most of the modern ML bullets are pretty good. Barnes, TC, Hornady, Powerbelts....just a matter of what your gun likes best. Put it where it counts and the bullet will do its job.

Congratulations again, that's a nice buck. And the rewards on the plate look good too! I've had some tenderloin and sausage from mine and it has been fine so far!
Now go get another one!

Edit: You mention over-penetration. IMO there is no overpenetration. I prefer a complete pass through for a good blood trail. Neither of mine did pass through, I recovered both bullets. This concerns me though both of my deer were shot at odd angles. One was shot straight on in the neck and the bullet lodge in the spine after taking out about 5" of spine. She was DRT. The little buck was shot angling away. It hit far back in the right ribs and angled forward through the lungs and into the left shoulder. When it reached the skin is angled forward about 6" under the skin. So there was a LOT of penetration there, it's just that when it did reach skin there was not enough 'oomph' left to pass on through. I think a standing broadside shot into the heart/lung area would pass through. Anyway, a big ole 250 grain bullet packs a wallop!

I shoot a 250 grain Barnes Spitfire T-EZ Sabot with two 50 grain 777 pellets. Your load similar?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.