Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, from a distance of 15 feet, with my AR15 and 55 grain FMJs, I neatly sliced through a 1/8" thick piece of plastic. I refer you to the photo as evidence of my feat.

Unfortunately, the piece of plastic was the front diffuser shield of my chronograph.................

Rectangle Gas Font Auto part Tool

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Years and years of practice.

Actually, I had been chronographing loads in two of my bolt guns and all was well.

I then needed to chrono a new load I'd worked up for my AR. My AR wouldn't fit neatly down into my sandbangs so I decided just to shoot through the screens offhand. First offhand shot was fine and got a reading of 2715 fps. Second shot went off and all I saw was white plastic flying downrange.

Like they say about chronographs, it's not a matter of IF you're going to shoot it, it's a matter of WHEN you're going to shoot it.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
I would be more impressed if you had cut both of them in half and btw, your windage was spot on. Shooting the chrony doesn't count unless you take the electronics out. You can still use yours on cloudy days.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would be more impressed if you had cut both of them in half and btw, your windage was spot on. Shooting the chrony doesn't count unless you take the electronics out. You can still use yours on cloudy days.
Yep- I'm working on a load right now that will take BOTH the diffusers out at once !!

This chronograph apparently has nine lives- a friend dinged the box last year with a muzzle loader shot.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
You DID someone here a favor.
And on a side note - Wouldn't that clean right up right as rain with some duct-tape and a few reinforcement pieces of flat plastic?
:)

·
Registered
828 Posts
And on a side note - Wouldn't that clean right up right as rain with some duct-tape and a few reinforcement pieces of flat plastic?
:)
Nope. The diffuser has to have an uninterupted, consistant illumination through the diffuser ( if in use) for the sensor to distinguish the projectile passing between the eye and the diffuser. Otherwise you get an error code on the display when one sensor picks up the bullet and the other one doesn't.
I once wrote my name in black marker on my screens to solve a "borrowing" issue I had and when I went to use the Chrony I kept getting error messages. It worked fine without the diffusers but wouldn't work with them.After several long calls to the factory trying to resolve my problem I happened to mention that I'd written my name on them with a black marker. The Tech lit up and said remove the ink and try them again. Needless to say they worked like a charm.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I called the Chrony folks to get a new pair of diffusers and an extra set of wire guides. The nice lady said she'd get them right out and that I was the 4th caller today!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.