My new EDC | Carolina Shooters Club

My new EDC

Discussion in 'Handguns, Pistol Shooting' started by Chris B, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Chris B

Chris B New Member

Well folks, I've picked up a S&W Bodyguard .380ACP.

A friend of mine bought this and decided it wasn't what she wanted to carry. I got it for a fair price with an extra mag, holster, 2 boxes of FMJs and a box of Critical Defense.

I just picked it up yesterday, so I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I used a lighter as a size reference for the pics- for those of you that haven't seen one before.

Who else has one of these? What can I expect? Is the laser sighted in from the factory?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Butter

Butter Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

If I remember correct, a buddy bought one and had to adjust the laser. It was pointing into orbit. I dont mean to rain on your parade, but I wasnt a big fan. Trigger pull was long (to be expected) and it was hard to be accurate.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  3. NCFlyfisher

NCFlyfisher New Member

That's an incredibility small self defensive handgun, Chris B. Nice pocket carry too. I've seen one at my LGS when they first came out. My open hand can almost hide it.

I don't know about it's accuracy but if you can place the full mag into a 8" paper plate at 7 yards & 10 yards you could be fine. Make certain on the ammo it likes and cycles well.

Good Luck!

4. bigfelipe

bigfelipe I'm told I'm pretty awesome... Lifetime Member

My girlfriend's dad has one. Nice quality pistol. His was sighted in perfectly out of the box. The trigger is long but it's pretty clean and it's a true DAO. If you get a light strike or something you can just pull the trigger again. Also it's melonite coated stainless and all internal parts are stainless. No rust worries. Enjoy.

5. 613jmm

613jmm U. S. Military Club Subscribed

A buddy of mine carries one of those. He was just telling me hasn't had any function problems with it, but his first laser did blow out on it. The factory had him remove it and send it in, and they sent him a new unit as a replacement. He was happy with the service, but was complaining because the laser is not a concentrated point. It seems to "flare" out, almost like a diagonal quasar or something.

6. bigfelipe

bigfelipe I'm told I'm pretty awesome... Lifetime Member

I wish they made one of these without the laser. I'd carry one in a heartbeat...

7. surffisher2A

surffisher2A Registered Member

I hate the laser on it and i hate that it has a manual thumb safety on it as well.

my wife carries this gun so i have some experience with it. The laser button is garbage and only gets worse the more you use it. There are some mods on the net to make it better but you shouldn't have to do that.

The sights on the gun are better than most any other pocket gun out there, never had a malfunction with it yet and yes its small. The sights are a double edge sword, they have sharp edges that tend to stick up and get caught on the corner of the pocket upon drawing from a pocket holster.

The field strip of the gun is kinda a guessing game as well and the instructions in the book don't work very well. The take down pin lever has to be wiggled well past 90 degree for it to pop out. It always takes me a minute or two to get it back in also.

Other than those few minor issues its a good gun, very well built (except for the laser) and shoots consistently.

8. ChadC

ChadC New Member

My wife carries one also and loves it. I agree that the laser is not much use in a real scenario. She doesn't use the thumb safety at all since the trigger is like most other small 380s and should be safe without the safety. It's a good shooting gun and feels good in the hand, her laser was just slightly off out of the box but you can't really expect it to be dead on every time from the factory, that's why they put adjustments on it.

9. lufbro

lufbro Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

i had one when they first came out. very accurate but i sold it a got a Kahr pm380. i like it alot better

10. surffisher2A

surffisher2A Registered Member

She should still practice clicking down the safety every single time she draws the gun. The first time she really needs it I can almost guarantee that the safety accidentally got clicked on. Nothing worse than going to pull the trigger and nothing happens when a bad guy is coming at you or firing back.