Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the range Fri. afternoon and took my Taurus M44 with me to see if my loads were equal, better or worse than the Georgia Arms stuff I picked up at a recent show. I don't have a chrono but my loads were a little heavier on recoil, but were more accurate at 25 yds. I don't know what they use as far as powder, primers and bullets, all I know is the bullet was 240 gr FMJ. My loads were 240 gr LSWC over 20 gr of Accurate No.9, using Fed. large magnum primers. I want to get a chrono just to see the difference in muzzle felocity. I really only got some from GA b/c it was a decent price and I'll have more brass to load. Just thought I'd share my happy experience with my hand loads vs a respected and recommended company.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Your handloads should always be better than what you buy....means you're doing it th right way ;)
+20 on this. I have found my reloads to not only be more accurate and cheaper($.05/ round 9mm) but cleaning burning also. Pretty good feeling looking at a few hundred rounds of ammo and you know that you made the bullets and reloaded the ammo.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
I was at the range Fri. afternoon and took my Taurus M44 with me to see if my loads were equal, better or worse than the Georgia Arms stuff I picked up at a recent show. I don't have a chrono but my loads were a little heavier on recoil, but were more accurate at 25 yds. I don't know what they use as far as powder, primers and bullets, all I know is the bullet was 240 gr FMJ. My loads were 240 gr LSWC over 20 gr of Accurate No.9, using Fed. large magnum primers. I want to get a chrono just to see the difference in muzzle felocity. I really only got some from GA b/c it was a decent price and I'll have more brass to load. Just thought I'd share my happy experience with my hand loads vs a respected and recommended company.
PM sent

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
+20 on this. I have found my reloads to not only be more accurate and cheaper($.05/ round 9mm) but cleaning burning also. Pretty good feeling looking at a few hundred rounds of ammo and you know that you made the bullets and reloaded the ammo.
I'm somewhat new to reloading. I've loaded alot (3k+) of 9mm over the past few months. I'm very curious how you've reached $0.05/ round... PLEASE share!

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Casting lead bullets. Shooting for the cost of pimers and powder. $30/k CCI SP Primers and about 2 cents per round depending on powder.

This cost isnt much different from 9mm to 45 ACP. Of course loads like 44 mag and larger cases require more powder but its still cheap.

My 30-30 loads are sub $12 per HUNDRED using a 150 grain gas checked cast bullet.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I don't cast my own, but my last batch of of 5000 9mm was 10.53$ per hundred.

Per Round Cost for Bullets = $0.072 216$ per 3000 147gr moly coated
Per Round Cost for Powder = $0.007 120$ for an 8lbs jug of WST(approx 1/2 lbs per 1000)
Per Round Cost for Cases = $0.000 Recycled Cases
Per Round Cost for Primers = $0.026 130$ for 5000

Now if I switched to 115 gr it would drop to 10.00 even.(yeah, amazing, I did the math on it too...) Except for the bullets I buy everything when I find a good deal on it. Expect to pay 10% more if you just want to drop the money into it immediately. Maybe someday if I have some spare cash I'll do it just to prove I can make a bullet worth less than a penny. =)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
My most recent loads:

Per Round Cost for Bullets = $0.054 $27 per 500 125gr lead cast from GA
Per Round Cost for Powder = $0.010 $20 for a 1lb can of Bullseye
Per Round Cost for Cases = $0.000 Recycled Cases
Per Round Cost for Primers = $0.030 $30 for 1000

Total cost = $47 per 500... $0.094 each

·
Registered
77 Posts
I want to get a chrono just to see the difference in muzzle felocity.
SlayerNut - since you are in Raleigh, you can go to the Wake Range ( http://www.wakegov.com/firingrange/default.htm ) down in Holly Springs and rent a Chronograph from them for $10 an hour (I think) - give them a call if you haven't already.

We just bought a F1 chronograph ( http://www.midwayusa.com/product/531741/shooting-chrony-f1-chronograph ) and it works good. Worth the trouble to see how your hand loads are working, and to compare what the GA loads are doing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yup. Sounds about right. 'N that's the same reason I bought some GA .41Mag. Plus, they use good brass, at least in .41 (Starline).
The last few times I've tried to buy their .41s, all they had left at the gun shows were the cowboy loads. Kind of restricts my ability to shoot at an indoor range, but for the price and getting to re-use the brass, it's tough to beat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.