Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...since I don't have a lot of money to drop on new guns lately, I thought some changes might fit the bill.

Now the Remington 597 usually gets a bad wrap but this one has always been reliable and is a tack driver, but alas, it has seen some changes in it's life.

This is how it looked when I got it....

But, I couldn't stand the basic gray synthetic stock so that is where the changes began. I picked up a can of the textured sand color spray at the store and went to work. This was a good change, made the rifle look better and had a good feel to it but STILL, something was missing.....

This is how it looked after the first changes....

So.....in my unending quest to make a change I went to Boyd's Gunstocks website last week and low and behold they had a laminated stock for my Remington 597. It is a unfinished labeled level 1 factory second and they had it for $25!

It arrived yesterday and of course, I couldn't stand not messing with it. It was unfinished but other than that, I couldn't find any issues. It is made for a bull barrel which may be in the future but for now it allows the barrel to be completely "free floating" in the stock. It now has 5 coats of tung oil on it, nothing but tung oil, no stains, no shiny top coat. I wanted the natural beauty of the wood to come out and it did just that.

Fitment into the stock was perfect other than just a little file work to get my pro-mag 22 round mags to fit, the 10 rounders fit fine.

The one thing I do need is a buttplate insert for a Remington so if anyone has one lying around....hint, hint, hint. I have the plastic mounting plate but can see buttstock through it since that was not part of the offer from Boyd's.

Hope to pick up a bipod soon and change the scope over to another one I have. For a budget shooter, I am loving this thing!

Here's the pics so far with the stock finished, fitted and sling mounts added...

Here she is as of today.....almost finished....

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't matter to me, it's still got that hole back there. Look occasionally when I am working shows but don't have much time to peruse the tables.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
is that their "Nutmeg Laminate" finish or the "applejack laminate" or something else?
(oh yeah - very cool rifle!)

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is that their "Nutmeg Laminate" finish or the "applejack laminate" or something else?
(oh yeah - very cool rifle!)
Have no idea about that, it came naked, that's nothing but tung oil, no stain, no varnish, no clear.....man, naked and tung in the same sentence, I feel dirty.

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
I did the same thing as you did initially with mine...hit it with some Rustoleum camo tan paint and used the High Heat matte black for outdoor grills on the barrel. It made it look a thousand times better but the paint doesnt bond to the aluminum receiver.

So Eli is gonna duracoat it for me (at least the barrel and receiver) and I may hit the stock with the textured paint as I like that idea. I also am gonna order some better extractors from Brownells and some replacement screws as there was some rust on the pawn shop queen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.