My wife's aunt passed away today in fort launderdale (Travel questions) | Carolina Shooters Club

My wife's aunt passed away today in fort launderdale (Travel questions)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by ranrace, Aug 18, 2014.

1. ranrace

ranrace Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

So my wife's text at 3pm was sad news. Then she went back into the lab for the rest of her day. No phone calls, text or anything else. So I have been planning on getting at least her down there this weekend for the funeral. My wife is going to say that she doesn't want to go because of "cost". But I really think she needs to be there for the living family members. Funny part is we were talking about making a day trip to the beach this weekend (NC Beach).

So I have looked at a million flights, maps and hotel accommodation. Please note my wife is a 2 hour early to the airport type of a gal, it sucks........

1st option. Flight $350ish each, drive an hour to RDU,sit around for 2 hours, fly to Charlotte sit there for an hour then 2 hour flight. (7-8 hours)
    2nd option. Flight $500ish each, drive two hours to Charlotte, be 2 hours early, jump on the plane and be there in 2 hours. (6-7 hours)

3rd, So I looked on the Map and it's 800ish miles. The problem is google says it's 12 hours, but I don't know where the traffic jams are and when on the road down there. Bottom line, how is the 95 heading south??? It would suck to have our 12 hour drive take 18 or something stupid. We are leaving early Friday AM and have to be at the Funeral Saturday 10am. Then we are coming back up on Monday!

Thanks in advance for your travel knowledge
    Randy

2. jcs3876

jcs3876 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Do Not get caught on 95 south from Palm Beach County to Fort Lauderdale from 3:30pm-6:30pm!!! That stretch is about 90 minutesish and pure hell in rush hour traffic!

3. MuShu Gordon

MuShu Gordon Vendor : Guardian Dragon Club Subscribed

First of all, I am sorry for your family's loss, her journey through this life has ended, but her journey into the afterlife is just beginning.

As far as traveling down to Florida, I have been a few times and the only time that I stopped was to get gas and food. Traffic was never a problem for me, I even got a speeding ticket on I-95 and hadn't had a car in my lane in many miles. I always went during the fall/winter time frame though, so your mileage at this time of year may vary. It has also been five years since I was last in Florida.

4. fieldgrade

fieldgrade Hall of Shame

I have used Google Maps as a GPS on my iPhone for 6 trips back and fourth to Boston. They pick up data from other iPhones on the road and recognize live traffic details (fast, slow, stopped in color codes). It is a pretty accurate travel time estimate in my experience.

5. celem

celem Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

6. mekender

mekender Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

So your two major traffic problems will be Jacksonville, FL and anything south of Melbourne, FL... If you hit them at a rush hour time frame. From the sound of it, you probably will only have problems with the area of 95 south of melbourne

From Burlington, it is probably quicker to take 85 south to Charlotte, to 77 to Columbia to 26 to 95. That is how I used to go to Eest Orlando from Greensboro. The trip from UNCG to East Orlando is about an 8 hour trip, you will be going another 2 to 3 hours south of where I get off 95 in Daytona Beach.

Charlotte wont be bad unless you hit it at rush hour, if you do, just take the 485 from Concord to the south side.

Jacksonville, there are two bypasses one goes east, the other west... The west one is LONG... The east one is about half as long but still... If you do not hit Jax at rush hour, just drive on through.

If you have time on your way back, stop for a bit in Cocoa Beach, go to Ron John's Surf Shop and kick your feet in the sand, you won't regret it.

7. JimB

JimB Hall of Shame

Option 1, and call reservations and see if you can get a special rate for the death of a family member, they used to give me half off as I recall.

8. Inglis

Inglis Active Member

Grilling in the Uwharrie Forest with Big Foot.
    I am sorry for your loss.

I will add her to my prayers.

9. ranrace

I called a couple different airlines and 10 percent off is the only thing they have going.

We are road tripping it!!! My wife agreed that would be best and we are going to rock it. She got Thursday off of work, then her normal Friday-Saturday, then took Sunday and Monday. So we are going on a micro vacation, in times of non-fun things we try like crazy to make the best of it. The service got pushed back to Sunday at 10am.

So leave Thursday at noon, No rush hour in Charlotte, make it down to Savannah or so, then push the rest of the way on Friday!

Randy

10. Qball50

Qball50 Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Sorry for your loss of a family member. It really depends on your preference and financial situation. If it were me, I'd take the route that required the least amount of time. Driving to south Florida takes a long time. Normal layovers for connecting flights on regional routes aren't that bad if you can land a flight that has a layover near a meal time. I'd take option 1 if it were me. But that's me.

11. Qball50

Qball50 Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Sorry. I was typing while you posted this. If it works for you, then great. Savannah would be a great place to stop on the way. Seems you've got it working out for the best. Be safe and Godspeed.

12. Joe30045

Joe30045 Registered Member

I'm sorry for your loss. My wife has been making it from Hope Mills to the Florida line in about five and a half hours, and that is with three kids. Jacksonville is just the other side of the line, if you hit it outside of rush hour, you can usually bust straight through and stay on 95. If the volume appears heavy or there is an accident on the bridge (Fuller-Warren I think it is), take 295 around it. Watch your speed in that area and about the last 40 miles of Georgia, those areas are known for pulling in the money from out of staters. Beyond Jax, it s nothing but flat, monotonous highway, nothing but trees until down past Daytona. Unfortunately, my recent experience ends at Daytona, so I am useless beyond that. Something to keep in mind, if traffic starts getting backed up on 95, sometimes you can at least keep steadily moving on 301 or A1A once you get to Florida. Safe journeys.

13. golfer

golfer Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I am sorry for your loss and I wish I had the time or I would fly you myself.

Have you looked at Allegiant Air that fly's out of G-boro or Concord? They have flights to Florida for $25 - $100 all the time. Your timing would be key with them though. Here is the website: https://www.allegiantair.com/

14. Diverdad

Diverdad Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

I'm sorry for your loss. I've made 2 trips this year to St. Augustine and your biggest problem just across the Florida state line is the road construction they are doing at night. It drops down to one Lane so you want to be in Jax before 8-9 PM, and rush hour through Ft. Lauderdale is a mess. Safe travels and God bless.

15. ranrace

Thanks guys!!! Y'all have been great with our travel plans. Her death just kind of hit me now. Liver problems, had PSC for years then got liver cancer. It went down hill quickly after that. She was 60ish and in good health minus the liver. The last few months have been really bad. She was in the hospital this past spring for a couple of weeks. Then back home with a nurse for the past few months. The past week we knew her end was coming soon. She died in her sleep with her close family right there.

I'm looking forward to our road trip. Save some cash, see some cool stuff on the way and spend sometime with the wife. Freedom of when we leave, where we go, and really I think we will lose less then 2 hours of travel time. Until this year, I used to put on 30k miles a year. Now I work from home and don't really put on miles.

My money situation is very funny lately. "A penny saved is a penny earned" Ben said. Most of my savings is going towards a "health" savings account right now.

16. teamglock2002

teamglock2002 Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your wife's Aunt. Thoughts & Prayers to the family !!!

17. ikarus1

ikarus1 Well-Known Member

Doesn't allegiant only fly to Orlando? Not exactly on the way to Lauderdale. But they are cheap. We're gonna do a whirlwind trip to Disney one of these days via Allegiant.

EDIT: NVM I see they have direct flights to Ft Lauderdale, and Ft Myers/Punta Gorda. https://www.allegiantair.com/route-map

2nd EDIT: I see the only direct flights to any place in FL from Concord Regional Airport are Tampa and Orlando. The others are out of Asheville.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  18. ranrace

We made it there and back without too many problem. One inner fender and some sore backs. 12 hours there and 11 back. We broke the trip into two days there and back. Took it easy and saw some stuff. The only traffic that we hit was about 3 miles from our exit. So we did the back road thing. It was a ok time down there, one day of fun and the rest crying family stuff. But overall it was a good trip. We will be heading back for a wedding in January, so that should be all fun and games.

Thanks again for the wishes, prayers and advise.

Randy