Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, slight bright spot this week, in NC at least, is the removal of the VETO-happy Gov Purdue.

Thoughts on guns-rights benefits?
Will this move things faster?

I know some of the issues in the past have been committee-related.....but if nothing else- in NC- the conservative lawmakers should see a consensus.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
It was the republicans that held up many of the bills last session if you all forget. They kept blaming that Perdue would veto it if it got to her so they never got it done. I expect nothing so anything I get is more than I expect.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
Here is the email I just sent to Senator Hunt. This was in response to emails we had going back and forth last session when Tom Apodaca pushed it into committee to die.

Senator Hunt;

All excuses have now been exhausted as to why we cannot get HB 111 out on the floor except that we don't want to. Republican controlled House, Senate, Court, and Gov. Mansion. It has only been about 100 years or so since this has happened and if we cannot get it done now, there will be no more reason to keep it Republican controlled. BTW reread the emails below, I believe you owe me a dinner.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
I am not anticipating anything positive. Gun rights will be ignored and they will push a bunch of social-morality and corporate payola bs. I expect we will all come to regret giving them such control without balance. They also better not take their win as a peoples mandate either. Many of their margins were minimal. Had they not Gerrymandered the hell out of the districts they would have lost.

·
Banned
2,634 Posts
Many of their margins were minimal. Had they not Gerrymandered the hell out of the districts they would have lost.
The Demwits did the same (Gerrymandering) thing for the past 100 years prior to 2010 so tough shit to all the left leaning asswipes. If it was not for the influx of carpetbaggers from the north relocating to NC.......all this would be a none issue. If you are from above the MD line and live here and vote GOP I guess its OK......at least your not a libtard.

·
Banned
3,959 Posts
I'm not optimistic as far as gun rights. Didn’t republicans kill the restaurant carry bill. Hopefull they prove me wrong.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Personally I was a little disheartened by the email from GRNC that said they were now going to focus on more national than local/state issues. The unresolved stuff like restaurant carry, and my blog wish list immediately came to mind. Basically a WTF we're not done here moment.

Hopefully despite R's killing restaurant carry it'll go through this time since their primary (poor) excuse was they were worried Perdue would veto it.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
My local (former) rep told me that he wanted an OK from the legislative "Small Business Committee" before he voted for HB 111. This committee gets input from the NC Restaurant Owners Association. These names might not be exactly accurate but at the time HB 111 was being debated, these two entities were not sending good vibes to the legislators. And remember, groups like the Restaurant Owners, etc are the groups that send the big $bucks$ in to get these guys elected.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Personally I was a little disheartened by the email from GRNC that said they were now going to focus on more national than local/state issues. The unresolved stuff like restaurant carry, and my blog wish list immediately came to mind. Basically a WTF we're not done here moment.

Hopefully despite R's killing restaurant carry it'll go through this time since their primary (poor) excuse was they were worried Perdue would veto it.
I might be wrong but I think you may have read too much into that email. I don't see any lessening of attention to state and local issues by GRNC, but rather an expansion of attending to national issues that deserve our attention as well.
In the past the group has focused almost exclusively on issues within the borders of North Carolina but with the emerging interest of the President in imposing a new "assault weapons" effort we might be well served to expand our horizons. I don't perceive the email to indicate a lessening of effort on the state level, there is wide recognition with in the group that the battle is not yet won, but we may just have picked a new fight.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
There are some major players in the NC GOP (for example: Paul Stam) who clearly hate gun rights, as well as other individual freedoms. As some have pointed out, it was the republicans who killed their own restaurant carry bill and didn't send it to Perdue to even get her to veto it. Don't hold your breath folks.

·
Banned
13,863 Posts
All that will happen is they will take this opportunity to pass more socially conservative legislation like the ban on gay marriage. They will work on legislation to make having an abortion harder......what else?

If you think they will repeal anything or roll back the amount of government you haven't been paying attention the last 50 years.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
There seems to be some confusion on how the North Carolina Legislature works.

H111 is NOT still in a Senate Committee. It is dead. ALL bills that did not pass in during the last "short session" are dead and gone. A new Legislative Session starts in January 2013.

What you may see about a bill online now is where it was when the last Legislative Session ended. There are NO bills on the table or in committee when the session starts. That is not to say that H111 cannot be re-introduced as a new bill, but the session starts with a clean slate. Anything proposed last session will have to start the process all over again.

·
Banned
10,039 Posts
Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Pomeranian...don't care, no excuses. Whoever is in office gets emails and letters until I get to carry into my friendly neighborhood beer selling pizza joint.
And lets please do away with that stupid ticket admission law!

·
Registered
255 Posts

I have just read through this thread.
HB111 is dead, someone else already explained why.
HB111 was not killed because of a fear of it being vetoed. The Rs were afraid the Ds would use it against them during the election.
The Restaurant Association sent a letter to the GA saying they had no dog in the fight.
Restaurant Carry is just one of many things we will try to change starting next month.
We, GRNC, are not going national and forgetting the state. NC will be the main issue unless the TSHTF nationally.

Stay tuned and be ready. The battle starts in January.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.