NC the Nanny State | Carolina Shooters Club

NC the Nanny State

Discussion in 'Firearms News and Firearms related political news' started by DKnoch, Aug 31, 2021.

1. DKnoch

DKnoch Registered Member

I am in the process of moving to NC and transferring all my info, etc. It’s going to take 1-2 months to get into the DMV (that’s how far out my appointment was scheduled, and that’s with checking the four closest DMV’s). After I get that taken care of, I have to take the NC CWP class, schedule an appt with my county sheriff (they said min of 1-2 months last time I asked) to get an appointment to get paperwork. After filling that out, I have to turn in paperwork and wait a while longer (including filling out a “mental health evaluation” which means I have to put down any and all drs I’ve seen and medicine I’ve taken. The mental health form is obscene to me. NC seems to be setting itself up to be a May Issue state in the future, from my outsider perspective. I’m from SC, and we all constantly complained that SC was overbearing compared to GA.
    Also just to get a pistol purchase permit, I’ve got to get my license changed over and wait to get into the sheriffs Dept to beg for PPP…why aren’t those issued immediately by the way? I’ve heard it can take several days for that to happen?
    Sorry for the rant, but this state is frustrating considering I’ve been a firearms owner and cwp holder for years, and now I have to wait around before being able to get a cwp or even buy a gun again?
    Also in SC, most gun owners didn’t put up WTS ads saying “you better give me your pistol purchase permits or no sale..!” The whole thing seems a bit Nanny state to me. Don’t citizens make their voices heard around here, and let legislators know this is not acceptable? Or conversely do NC citizens think these laws are necessary?
    I’m very pro liberty and anti government involvement in 2nd amendment matters, in case you can’t tell, sorry if I sound a bit too far for you (but I’m really not sorry)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. rhodney

rhodney Registered Member

I agree it's all crap I've lived all over the US and the pistol law here is asnine ....a lot of people won't even sell a long gun without a ppp or chp they've said they want to do away with it ...but they've been saying that for years ...I don't see it happening..but what would you suggest one could do? Protest or start a petition?

3. DKnoch

DKnoch Registered Member

First thing we should all do is start emailing and calling our legislators, especially any Republican and conservative politicians. If they hear from enough people that we don’t want this, at least some will listen. Politicians understand one thing, how to stay in office. What are the local gun rights groups around here? Hopefully they are beating this drum already? I’m surprised 2nd Amendment foundation hasn’t taken PPP to court and gotten it overturned. I believe I heard an Alan Gottlieb interview where he said they tried it previously, but I can’t recall specifics. Ultimately it would probably have to be legislators or the courts to overturn this. I doubt Sheriffs would voluntarily give up this power, authority, and source of revenue. I’m not saying they’re bad people, it’s just human nature to hang on to any authority one already has

4. carolina sorillo

carolina sorillo Registered Member

NO!! First thing we NEED to do is run all these dang Yankees back to where they came from!! Not the conservative ones but the Liberal ones that have taken over the larger cities in NC. Rural NC is still NC. Urban NC is now Southern New England! They moved down here because there's no work up there due to the legislature regulations killing jobs. What do they do when they move here? Vote in the same kind of trash that ruined their own homeland!! INSANE!!

Are you moving to Wake, Durham, Orange, Mecklenberg, Forsyth or Guilford? The rest of the state is not too bad... yet.

I'm in Guilford but close enough to the Alamance line to smell their freedoms!! :)

CS

Oh yeah,
    welcome to the Old North State!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    PaulPatriot and nc-rob like this.
  5. rhodney

rhodney Registered Member

You lost me after the first sentence

6. fsj80

fsj80 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

The legislature just tried to do away with the PPP but Cooper vetoed it. Not sure they have the votes to overturn it, even though the Sheriffs Association supported the bill this time.

Not sure where you are seeing most ads requiring “keeping the PPP” but those are usually people that don’t understand the law.

The rest just sounds like an angry rant but did you really think you could move to a new state and they would greet you at the border with a new drivers license/CHP or include it in the welcome to your new home gift? You kind of sound like a liberal coming here and complaining, saying “this is how we did things where I’m from”

MurphyLong likes this.
  7. carolina sorillo

carolina sorillo Registered Member

HA HA!! The first sentence was "NO!!"

What confused you about that? Seriously though, I knew the second sentence would be offensive to some, hence the third sentence! If you're still offended after that one, you're supposed to be.
    Like John Wayne said, "I try not to offend anyone by accident. If I offend you, you can damn sure bet it was on purpose!"

CS

PaulPatriot likes this.
  8. nc-rob

nc-rob Registered Member

I'm a damn yankee and I support this statement.

PaulPatriot likes this.
  9. cbullings

cbullings Not Subscribed

Don't forget Asheville .

10. EEH

EEH Registered Member

DKnoch,, just send me all your guns, I’ll keep them oiled and loose, so when you need one just call.

DKnoch likes this.
  11. turkeydance

turkeydance Active Member

"Sorry for the rant,..."
    "(but I’m really not sorry)"

not consistent, either.

12. PaulPatriot

PaulPatriot Registered Member

13. PaulPatriot

Calling and emailing legislators is good, but don’t expect it to make a big change. There is a growing DEMONcRAT influence in NC and once the anti gun mindset starts spreading more and more, politicians will follow their political agendas, regardless of how many calls, letters, emails and even rallies are thrown at them.

I speak from experience. Once DEMONcRATS get more and more influence and positions of “power” they always seem to lead a state farther away from the Bill Of Rights, especially the 2nd Ammendment.

14. PaulPatriot

I’m from New England and I couldn’t agree with you more. These damn liberal Yankees need to stay the hell out of NC!

15. PaulPatriot

DKnoch likes this.
  16. DKnoch

DKnoch Registered Member

What?

17. wccphd

wccphd Registered Member

Another problem is the NC General Assembly is becoming overrun with carpetbaggers who have brought their enlightened ways with them.

18. eric aquino

eric aquino Registered Member

I moved here from up north to get away from them. I call what they are doing the Second Wave of Northern Aggression. Northern liberals are moving down here and changing EVERYTHING. Influencing everything with money and politics. The school systems, laws, college influence job and housing markets firearm laws will come soon enough . Trust me, you do not need them.

19. Kriterian

Kriterian Registered Member

Just to give you a heads up. I did the CCW back in July and went to schedule an appointment at the Sheriff's office (Wake County), and the next available was Thanksgiving.

20. DKnoch

DKnoch Registered Member

You should forward that info to the 2nd Amendment Foundation or another gun rights group. 4 months to get in is ridiculous. I remember a year ago sheriffs and government agencies getting in trouble for making it near impossible to get a cwp. That type of wait time in a shall issue state is unacceptable in my opinion. These authoritarian sheriffs in this state need to be given a reality check by the state and voters.
    I’m a building inspector in NC and if we don’t issue a building permit in 15 days and perform an inspection within 2 days of request, we can get in a lot of trouble from the State. Seems similar restrictions should be placed on sheriffs. I would recommend we start pushing that to state legislators. Give them either 15 or 30 days for the appointment and a week or two to process paperwork? If they need more staff to accomplish that, then that should be encouraged

21. Gun lover

Gun lover Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

First of all you are not going to get a CWP in NC it is a CHP and only applies to handguns. I have had my NC CHP every since they started issuing them and I have never not once had to list any doctors I have seen or meds. that I take. Also you should be able to take the class at any time.

22. Steve Vedell

Steve Vedell Registered Member

So wait... Is Goober Cooper a Yankee? I ask because HE is the one who vetoed the bill that would have done away with the pistol purchase permit.

What am I missing here?

23. wccphd

wccphd Registered Member

Cooper is an extreme leftist liberal and is basically more liberal than any Yankee I have known. He is a Jim Hunt worshiper who only represents the national demonrat party.

His only saving grace is that he is too lazy to breathe. Imagine if he were a liberal/leftist/communistic as he is and actually worked at it.

24. SkydivnShooter

SkydivnShooter Staff Member Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

And our only saving grace is that he is a lame duck governor. Imagine if the pro GOP NC House wasn't split 69/51 and the NC Senate wasn't 28/22...

25. wccphd

wccphd Registered Member

Well, the Republicans have held control for over 10 years AND they had a veto proof majority until the last election AND a Republican Governor for four years and they did NOTHING.

toddje and SkydivnShooter like this.