Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a recommendation for someone or some shop or whatever to rebuild the carb on my Honda Recon ES. The machine has been sitting a couple years now I guess, and the float in the carb is stuck. I had to pull and flush the tank because there was so much dirt and crap in it, and theres no in-line filter on this thing, so it's no surprise the carb is acting up.
If the Gods smile on me, a light tapping might free it up. Was told to try some stuff called "SeaFoam" too, but I've not checked that out yet.
In the end, I suspect the thing will need a rebuild lit put in, and if ya'll could recommend somebody good at this kind of work, I'd sure appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
6,053 Posts
Those carbs are very simple to fix. Remove from the engine. Remove 4 float bowl screws and clean out all gunk from bowl. Use a very small flat blade screw driver to remover the slow speed jet. Using a small piece of wire( find some scrap twisted wire and strip off a piece) and poke the jet hole open again. Might want to use some shop air to blow all passages clean. Pull the float bowl pin out and let the fuel shut off drop drop out. Clean that seat out good (take care not to scare the pointed end of the needle) and then reassemble. You can install a small inline fuel filter to help trap any remaining junk left in the tank and lines.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can install a small inline fuel filter to help trap any remaining junk left in the tank and lines.
Good idea........I think I will just do it myself. Used to do lots of mechanical work, but stuff tended to be a lot simpler then!

·
Registered
526 Posts
x2 on this, I just bought an 06 recon in july that ad been sitting for 2 years with gas in it. The carb is very easy to take apart and reassemble. Lots of carb cleaner, some nylon brushes and tooth picks and maybe a single strand of wires from some 12g braided to run through the jets to make sure they are clear. An hour of my time and what hadn't run in two years was up and going. I always treat with a high mix of seamfoam afterwards to help clear all the gunk out. It does do wonders. Additionaly, most places will charge $100 bucks for a rebuild kit and the labor. You can buy a new carb off ebay for less....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.