Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dang, that was almost painful to type :)

Gonna get a G34....need advice on choosing between the gen3 and gen4.

Take your time...I won't read the replies till this Ibuprofen kicks in....LOL!

·
My Mom says I'm cool.
4,332 Posts
I'm not sure you're ready for a Glock.:)
That being said and you being wrong handed the gen 4 mag release can be changed to the right side.

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure you're ready for a Glock.:)
That being said and you being wrong handed the gen 4 mag release can be changed to the right side.
I'm right handed. So the mag release on the gen4 is larger? Is that pretty much the only difference?
BTW...I have owned several gen1 and gen 2 Glocks in the past :)

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
The grip surface on the Gen 4 alone should sell it over the 3. I'm a Glock fan boy and I'm now going Gen 4 for everything except for my "RTF Gilled 17" which is now a permanent part of my collection.

·
My Mom says I'm cool.
4,332 Posts
I'm right handed. So the mag release on the gen4 is larger? Is that pretty much the only difference?
BTW...I have owned several gen1 and gen 2 Glocks in the past :)
Sorry, had you confused for someone else. gen 4 also has a smaller grip and the extra adjustable grip "swells" I like mine without.

G

·
I hear the black ones are best.

I keed!

I much prefer the feel, texture and size of the Gen4's over the 3's.

·
Staff
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you fondled both yet? The adjustable grips on the 4s is very attractive to me.
Nope, went looking online this morning for some sort of Glock 9mm because NOBODY makes threaded bbls for the SR9. Figured I'd go with a 17 or 19 but saw the 34 which would likely be the best for competition too (kill 2 birds thang)

·
Vendor
6,243 Posts
A threaded barrel 34 will not fly in IDPA because of length, although a barrel swap takes all of 20 seconds. I don't know about IPSC. I think you can run it with a thread guard on it, but again, barrel swap is quick.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

·
Ar Hugger. Carpe diem per guttur .
12,561 Posts
I've had all the gen4 9mm's. I prefer the 19 frame. The 34 is great, but I'm not a fan of the full size frame...just doesn't "feel right" to me. At first I insisted on the gen4 frame because of the slightly smaller grip, mild rtf finish and large mag button. A few years few thousand rounds later, I could are less if it was gen 4 or gen 3. The differences are noticeable, but nothing earth shattering either way.

This is a fun one to shoot....my Frankenglock. 17 slide on a 19 frame.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Gen 4. They worked out the issues months ago with the springs. The grip is better sized, better textured, and the mag release is 100% better than Gen 3. Plus, the "dot" connector makes the trigger nicer out of the box, and you get an "extra" magazine for the increased cost so that offsets it a bit.

Gen 4.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Gen 4. They worked out the issues months ago with the springs.
I think they are finally correcting the extractor issue also.

I'm more of Gen 3 9mm and Gen 4 .40 advocate. When it comes to the 34 vs the 17; I'd shoot both and see which works better for you. I find that the 17 fits me better, but that will vary from shooter to shooter.

·
I'm told I'm pretty awesome...
8,590 Posts
Lotta good deals to be had on used Gen3s. If the grip isn't an issue for you, that's likely enough savings to cover the threaded barrel...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.