Need partner for October Rifle Elk hunt in Utah | Carolina Shooters Club

Need partner for October Rifle Elk hunt in Utah

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by Roughwater, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Roughwater

Roughwater Registered Member

Hi,

I'm thinking to Elk hunt this year in Utah and and could use a serious hunting partner. Permits are presently available over the counter. The hunt season I'm considering most is from 6 Oct-18 Oct. If you can't hunt the entire 12 or so days I could get you to a airport and you could fly back if you wish or if you would need to fly round trip I could pick you up at an airport near the hunt location etc. If you are truly interested in going we can probably work something out if you can't stay for the entire hunt. I would want to arrive at least a couple days early to scout. If we were lucky enough to tag out early that would be great.

There are about 15 units plus some sub units to hunt but you are not limited to any one unit. The permit would be for a any weapon, any bull general season elk. I have previously hunted Elk before but never in Utah so I'm still looking to decide which units to best hunt before purchasing a Elk permit. I have a reliable 4WD Toyota truck, camping gear, a couple tents, hunting gear etc. You would need a rifle, a warm sleeping bag, ammo, a knife, camo, hunter orange, Good broke in waterproof boots, a Elk permit, freeze dried food, a compass or handheld Gps and be willing to share fuel costs if we ride together. If you have a better vehicle I'm fine if we take yours. No experience necessary but would be helpful and I welcome your input.

Weather is unprdictable but nights will likely be pretty cold as we will be in the mountains. I am a life member of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, a Ex marine and member of the American Legion.
    If you consider going keep in mind it won't be a walk through the park. It will be a lot of work. If you have never done anything like this I promise it will be an unforgettable experience whether we are successful or not.
    You would want to try to be as fit as possible prior to the hunt as it will be a endurance event. However, I won't work you beyond your ability and since I am 68 I couldn't likely anyway. The hardest part will come if we actually bag one or more Elk as we will likly have to carry it out on our backs.

2. surveyor

surveyor Registered Member

3. Roughwater

Thanks Surveyor,
    Appreciate the added info and wish you could hunt with me too.

4. surveyor

I did Holy Cross in Colorado 3 years ago, wearing RAT's and using an ILBE. 65 pounds of gear.

Wish I would have got the bear tag.....

5. Roughwater

Surveyor,
    I did Colorado GMU 43 in 2012 1st Rifle season. The gear you mentioned came after my time in the Corps. I was in 68-72. I packed my gear in doing 2 trips in Colorado but packed it all out in one trip. I don't think my back has been right since. But going out it was mostly down hill but a still a serious hike out. My hunting partner decided he would get off the trail going back and take a short cut. I started to follow but it was serious steep going off the trail so I stayed with the trail. I waited for him at the trailhead for at least 45 minutes and he didn't show so I headed back up the trail to find him. I met him about a mile down the trail. Turns out he had fallen and rolled after getting off the trail. He wasn't hurt bad but ruffed up some. I hunted Archery in Idaho last year in the LoLo unit near the panhandle. Fires nearby created problems. It was bone dry there till the 15th of Sept then the rains came so rain in town but snow where we hunted at higher altitude. It was like when the rain and snow finally came it rained and snowed every day putting out all the fires. I should have stayed there but it suddenly got crowded with hunters so I left after finally locating some Elk. Headed toward a wilderness area on a 2 track road in my Subaru Forester but after the snow started getting deep and having only all season tires realized I might get in but not sure about getting out of there in snow safely so gave it up and headed home. I bought a reliable 4WD truck since just to be able to have a more serious hunting vehicle to take west.
    Were you able to see much game in the Holy Cross wildnerness? There were a lot of bear in Idaho too. One visited my vehicle one evening after I had just laid down in it. It was a pretty exciting moment when I sat up and a bear was staring through the window at me! LOL

6. surveyor

Saw Moose and mountain goat. Both were draws a nonresident has scant chance of getting.

And black bear, and mule deer.

Saw an elk at night but plenty of sign, just couldn't find them during the day.

7. Roughwater

Thanks Surveyor,

Yea, we can't shoot what we can't see. They often only move early morning, late evening or night except to get a drink nearby in the day time. Moose tags are generally pretty pricy too for non-residents. Too rich for my blood. They move a bit more though during the rut. After the rut bulls are often trying to recover and sleeping a lot in the daytime.

8. Roughwater

Elk permits for this hunt were selling out so I went ahead and got one. However they are now sold out now so if you were thinking maybe to go, hate to tell you but it's too late now.

9. jtkazanjian

jtkazanjian Registered Member

I got a 338 lapua if you can see them we should be able to hit them.

10. Roughwater

Hey JT,

A friend of mine has a 338 Lapua and I'd love to have one I just can't justify the cost with all the guns I already have. I have reloaded some Lapua ammo for him and have shot his gun a few times. Seems like a bit of a cannon but don't kick as bad as one would think. Only problem is that it is very heavy which helps a lot with recoil as well as accuracy. In the mountains when I'm packing in weight is critical. If I was going in on horseback or ATV I might carry something like that or maybe if I was built like the Rock but I'm not so I'm carrying something lighter for sure. I have a 300 win mag long range hunter but I don't plan to take it. I have a 270 short mag I'll probably carry instead as it's probably at least 2lbs lighter than the 300WM. If I could hunt within a mile or 2 of my truck the WM might be a good choice though. But having said all that now you have me thinking. Maybe I'll take both rifles and use the 300 when I'm not far from the truck and the 270SM if I have to pack a spike camp in deep!
    I was going to bring a spare rifle anyway incase I dropped or bumped one hard, so yea, Ill carry the 300WM and the Short mag.

11. jtkazanjian

Mine weights in at 13 pounds. With a big vortex scope. But I'm under 10" group at 1000 yards with 300 grain bullet carrying over 2000 foot pounds of energy at that range. Just have to walk out and pick up the elk

12. Roughwater

That sounds all well and good but I don't think you will be there to shoot that Elk for me and your 338L won't be there so I don't know how thats going to help me on my hunt?

13. jtkazanjian

Just speaking hypothetically that is all. Good luck on your hunt hope you get a big a nice one.

14. #1Gunnah

#1Gunnah Member

Wow. This looks like an awesome invitation. Good luck on the hunt

15. Chuckcraig

Chuckcraig Member In Time Out

Did anyone have an opportunity?

16. Roughwater

You say: Did anyone have an opportunity?

Opportunity to do what?
    If you mean to go, tags are available to the 1st 15,000 who want one, over the counter or buy online. If you mean shot opportunites, I had several, missed a couple Elk. Seen lots of Elk. Often at long range (500 + yards) but saw a couple at 25'. Very exciting hunt! Am going back this coming year. Never did find a partner last year but I think I have one for this year. Unfortunately all I brought back were great memories and a really nice Elk shed I found.

Attached Files:

17. ApexNC

ApexNC Registered Member

Are you going this year? Would love some info and cost that I Should expect?