Need recommendations for a gun safe. | Carolina Shooters Club

Need recommendations for a gun safe.

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by jshud, Jan 6, 2020.

1. jshud

jshud Registered Member

So I've accumulated a decent collection over the last couple of years and I've been putting off getting a safe for too long. I realize it's stupid to not have one not only from a safety standpoint but also from a legal point too. My wife and I are trying for our first baby so that's another good reason to start looking . I hear once they're born all your money tends to disappear!

I know very little about safes. What should I be looking for, how much should I be paying, and what size should I be considering? Is there a time of the year that they tend to be on sale for the best price? What's the best way to move them?

Thanks for any wisdom!

2. Roger Helms

Roger Helms Registered Member

Find a really nice one that is as big as you will ever need.......then buy one twice that size.........

bubajoe, majicmike and nature boy like this.
  3. jshud

jshud Registered Member

Sounds like wisdom from experience! I might need to find a decommissioned bank vault...

SkydivnShooter likes this.
  4. timberman

timberman Registered Member

For the money it is hard to beat a Drake. They are built in Roxboro. I have two and have several friends that have them and have never heard any complaints. Greg and Michael will probably be at the Dixie gun show. I think the 17th and 19 th of this month. As the man said, buy big.

5. richard corn

richard corn Registered Member

Moving them is a chore as they can easily weigh 500 lbs. empty. Plan a good spot because you may be reluctant or unable to move once filled. From a security standpoint make sure you anchor it so someone can't back the truck up and roll away with everything.

6. phless55

phless55 Registered Member

Most gun safe have the same walls top and bottom. It only door they make larger and heavier. Check the specification for thickness of the metal in the walls. Ask your self what is the job of safe. Keep your guns out of the wrong hands and protect them from fire. Why not buy two or three locking gun safe bolted to the floor with an rider on your home owners insurance. You will not need a crew to move it. 3 keyed 8 gun safe for $390 or 24 gun safe $599

majicmike likes this.
  7. Isaac-smith

Isaac-smith Registered Member

Definitely get an old bank vault. I got a commercial bank plate safe from a SunTrust being closed. Weighs 3200lb. Paid only $800. Look into commercial safes from businesses closing. You see them often on Facebook. A guy local is selling a meilink that could make a great safe.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/937332033270458/

UL RSC rating is paper compared to a TL-15 or TL-30 safe and those are paper compared to a TRTLX-60 B rated safe.

8. Isaac-smith

Isaac-smith Registered Member

jshud likes this.
  9. jshud

jshud Registered Member

Appreciate all the advice so far!

10. ABeck88

ABeck88 Registered Member

I’m a big fan of Liberty safes, check out some of the torture tests on YouTube. Yes, I know that an angle grinder will cut through the side blah, blah, blah. I’m more worried about someone kicking in my door and grabbing whatever they can while the alarm blares. No one is moving my 1300 pound safe quickly or without cutting it out of the floor first. Liberty will replace your safe if it’s broken into or damaged in a fire for free.

Jarheade4 likes this.
  11. Sean Alexander

Sean Alexander Registered Member

I'm going to second Drake we hunt with the guy who owns the company ... For me it's about what I can do now ... I don't have a truck so I can't move it I have friends but to be honest I'm not a shitty person so I couldn't bring myself to recruit their help I was going to go with liberty just because they deliver

12. Zapata72

Zapata72 Registered Member

I bought a Liberty. Salesman said buy one bigger than what you currently need. Very good advice.

13. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

In case you have not bought one here is some good information.......

14. Deerhunter_28

Deerhunter_28 Registered Member

Google Griffin Enterprises in Chesterfield SC.

He knows safes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. majicmike

majicmike AKA Studly Hungwell Club Subscribed

Anything is better than nothing.