NEED to borrow metal detector!! | Carolina Shooters Club

NEED to borrow metal detector!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Gear Head, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Gear Head

Gear Head Registered Member

Super excited to shoot my rifle with my brand new $90 seekins brake yesterday and apparently it didn't like being mounted to the gun because it rocketed off on the first shot. I was alone and looking threw a scope so I never saw the brake. There's lots of tall grass between me and my target so after walking the area multiple times I came up empty handed. Figured I'd try to find a metal detector to run through there before I write it off as a loss and order another.

I'm located in Winston and was shooting in the Pinnacle/Pilot/Westfield area!

JimB likes this.
  2. Gear Head

@Tailhunter @NCAV8TOR both of you guys are relatively local to me, am I lucky enough for yall to have one?

3. Tailhunter

Tailhunter God Help Us Club Subscribed

I wish, I could use one every now and again.

4. Taurus24/7

Taurus24/7 Registered Member

Try a large speaker magnet. Start looking straight a head.

5. RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

This.

You're far more likely to have success this way than with a metal detector. Using a metal detector is an exercise in patience and understanding and you'll likely find yourself far more distracted and annoyed by exactly how much metallic junk you'll find that has nothing to do with what you're looking for, yet will set the metal detector off.

Get a large speaker magnet, a broom handle, and start raking the ground with it.

6. Gear Head

I tried a sweeper magnet yesterday for a few hours and came up with nothing. I'm pretty frustrated and think I'm just going to give up. Without having any idea as to what direction or how far it went, my chances of finding it are quite low anyways.

This is where I lost it.. pic was taken just before my first shot

[​IMG]

7. SkydivnShooter

SkydivnShooter Staff Member Staff Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Yuck, that sux.

I lost a break off an AR once. Luckily, a buddy was shooting and I just happened to see it fly.

It plowed set screws across the stainless barrel and traveled not more than like 5 yards, straight down range. Wish I could come help you hunt for it.

8. Jeepfan

Jeepfan Registered Member

How does something like that happen? It's screwed on right?

9. Gear Head

Yes. I don't have a clue what happened. I was really hoping I would find it so that I could know if it grenaded from a bullet strike, if the threads pulled out, or whatever might have happened.

10. Gear Head

Just wanted to bump this a brag on Seekins a little bit. I contacted them Monday and explained what had happened. He told me that he would have to speak to a higher up and would get back to me. Well I heard back this morning and was told that the model I had is backordered by 192 items and that it would probably be around June until that was filled. He said in the meantime he would send me a blem and create an order for me to receive a new brake once the backorder was filled and that once I received the new brake, I could do as I pleased with the blem. I fully expected that since I did not find the brake and could not prove that the brake itself failed that I would be given a hard time which simply was not the case. So a big thanks to Bryce at Seekins for taking care of me. Good customer service speaks volumes about a company.

11. spymaxx

spymaxx Registered Member

So are you still in need of a metal detector?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

12. Gear Head

No, going to accept the one in the field as lost. Maybe I'll stumble on it one day.

13. Taurus24/7

Another thought on finding it,use a lawn mower. We've lost stuff in the yard ,cant find it. Then we mow the yard an bam we find it. Had a screw driver stuck in the door that way. Just saying.

Gear Head likes this.
  14. Gear Head

Lol I did think about getting the bush hog out. At least if I found it I might know what went wrong

15. Taurus24/7

Nope a bush hog is to big and no legs to hit, you need a push mower. If you lose ammo then you use a reel mower. With a reel mower an you hit the round right fun damage.

16. OneShot

OneShot Member

I live in King and have an easy to use metal detector. It's along the line of a toy grade but it works very well. PM me if you want to borrow it.

17. Gear Head

I do appreciate the offer but I'm giving up on the one I lost. Maybe ill stumble on it one day. I actually received my blem brake from Seekins today so all is well.