Carolina Shooters Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.space.com/18052-space-shuttle-endeavour-toyota-truck-tow.html

LOL

Yes, I do believe that a Chevy, Ford or Dodge could probably have done the same thing. Do I think the Tundra is one heck of a truck? You bet. I knew the Tundra was built in USA, but did not know it is 75% made with USA parts!!

so...

"Buy an American truck" now becomes the Tundra whereas the "American" company trucks (Ford, Chevy, Dodge) are built in Mexico (si senior) and Canada!

DirtySCREW

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use to work in the auto industry years ago - You would be amazed where "American" cars and trucks are built and tagged with thier "final assembly point" when compared to the "foreign" counterparts. I could stir the pot here a little and claim that for companies like Toyota that the "American" versions have diminished quality as they have become more "American" but I'll leave that for you all to debate.

IMO, The Tundra has stood its ground since its inception, however. Taco's are pretty nice too.

I use to sell Toyota's primarily, amongst others.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now, don't get me wrong, I have a lot of guys on base who are driving TACOs and they seem to be pretty nice trucks. But I do wonder how much Toyota "donated" to get their truck there.
Donated?
I bet they PAID to have the honor of pulling a US space shuttle to its resting place. Historic!!!

DirtySCREW

sent from the Honeybadger Messaging Service

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ooooh purdy

DirtySCREW

sent from the Honeybadger Messaging Service

·
3,580 Posts
I had someone ask me the towing capacity of the tundra today at an event my toyota dealership was sponsoring, I answered "about 310,000 lbs". He looked at me like I had grown horns, then I explained the shuttle being towed to it's resting place.

·
Green Iron Addict
1,441 Posts
It didn't take the full weight of the shuttle, it was simply overcoming the resistance of the dollys that the shuttle was resting on. Those dollys were carrying the weight. Basics physics. There's physics equations that will work this out, but I've forgotten or destroyed my notes by now.

·
Carolina Shooters Club
2,545 Posts
It didn't take the full weight of the shuttle, it was simply overcoming the resistance of the dollys that the shuttle was resting on. Those dollys were carrying the weight. Basics physics. There's physics equations that will work this out, but I've forgotten or destroyed my notes by now.
Mass * Gravity = Newtons

Find the angle of the hitch from the front dolly to the hitch on the truck. Slove to your X's and Y's use a few other formulas, throw it all together.

Draw a picture of the forces.

·
Banned
389 Posts
I understand that. Its like the guy who pulls a semi with his teeth. Even still, pulling a 10k lb semi compared to a 300k shuttle is quite good. Something doesnt jive though. I am sure the u joints and driveline would break with that mouch load on it.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I understand that. Its like the guy who pulls a semi with his teeth. Even still, pulling a 10k lb semi compared to a 300k shuttle is quite good. Something doesnt jive though. I am sure the u joints and driveline would break with that mouch load on it.
Your looking at it wrong, its not a mechanical thing...its a physics thing. A Go Kart (with the proper gearing and traction) could have pulled the shuttle, I'm sure that the truck was likely in 4LO the whole time but other than that...it seems perfectly realistic.

Makes me love my Tundra. 75% american parts, and at 166,000...its held up better and has had less problems than my friends/relatives domestics.

·
I'm told I'm pretty awesome...
8,590 Posts
Yes I understand that but overcoming the friction caused by 300k lbs wont be easy.
The load is spread out over a number of lower-friction bearing points in contact with the the ground. It couldn't pull it fast and if it got going fast couldn't hope to stop the mass, but getting it rolling isn't all that difficult.

·
3,580 Posts
Your looking at it wrong, its not a mechanical thing...its a physics thing. A Go Kart (with the proper gearing and traction) could have pulled the shuttle, I'm sure that the truck was likely in 4LO the whole time but other than that...it seems perfectly realistic.

Makes me love my Tundra. 75% american parts, and at 166,000...its held up better and has had less problems than my friends/relatives domestics.
Mines at 195k, all original everything, minus wear items(tires, brakes, filters, plugs, belts)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.